turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NY numbers

Started by mikejd, June 11, 2014, 08:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alloutdoors

Nice post, itzDirty. To more directly tackle the questions of if coyotes are invasive, I would argue no. Non-native on the other hand, yes possibly. If they weren't here all along its clear that they got here naturally on their own, "invasive" is usually used in reference to species introduced through direct human action. Further, even if they are non-native, they are largely filling a niche left vacant by the removal of wolves.

It's worth pointing out that the coyotes eastward spread was likely a direct response to the removal of wolves from the landscape. When you "shoot them all", there are often unintended consequences.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Coyotes are opportunistic feeders and studies conducted in collaboration between Virginia Tech and VADGIF are showing very low mortality from coyote predation.

Coyotes eat all species that prey on turkeys to include opossum and raccoon.  They're actually a blessing considering the burgeoning egg-eating mammal population.

Rick Howard

Thanks.  Glad I could add to the conversation.

2much2loud

Quote from: 2much2loud on June 18, 2014, 05:07:14 PM
Never thought too much about until lately... If somebody could tell the hens to find a nesting spot in the timber they would be a little better off.... Every day since the end of May there have been a few hens hanging around a grassy field on the way to work.... I bet my last dollar there was at least one nest in that field... It was plowed last Friday and haven't seen a thing out there..... The wife's grandfather cut his hay field Saterday and kicked a hen off a nest.... Luckily he seen it and left the edge where the nest was uncut for now

Well a little update on the hay cutting ... Good news wife's grampa came down for dinner and said while finishing the cutting they hay he seem 4 adult hens and 39 poults walk across the field.... Hopefully in two years the spring mornings will be noisy.... Lots of gobbling and close calls there this year Just seemed henned up all of May

mikejd

Quote from: 2much2loud on June 25, 2014, 08:28:37 PM

Quote from: 2much2loud on June 18, 2014, 05:07:14 PM
Never thought too much about until lately... If somebody could tell the hens to find a nesting spot in the timber they would be a little better off.... Every day since the end of May there have been a few hens hanging around a grassy field on the way to work.... I bet my last dollar there was at least one nest in that field... It was plowed last Friday and haven't seen a thing out there..... The wife's grandfather cut his hay field Saterday and kicked a hen off a nest.... Luckily he seen it and left the edge where the nest was uncut for now

Well a little update on the hay cutting ... Good news wife's grampa came down for dinner and said while finishing the cutting they hay he seem 4 adult hens and 39 poults walk across the field.... Hopefully in two years the spring mornings will be noisy.... Lots of gobbling and close calls there this year Just seemed henned up all of May

Thats great news.