OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jake or Midget Tom?

Started by 870-Wingmaster, May 13, 2014, 11:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

stinkpickle

Quote from: 870FaceLift on May 14, 2014, 11:08:23 AM
You shot the Ellen of the turkey world...   :z-guntootsmiley:

More like an the unshaven Rosie.   :TooFunny:  That's a helluva hen, though.  I'd probably have to do a double-take if I saw that beard swingin'.

TxLongspur

rem 300

mudhen

'Stud' of a bearded hen!

Call her Rosie maybe??

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Spring_Woods

I have heard hens try to gobble.

I believe what you have there is a bearded hen. Congrats!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

COssman14

Looks like a bearded hen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

THattaway

That's a bearded hen for sure. Since noone has mentioned it and it seems you don't already know....
A hen has breast feathers with brownish tips. Toms have black tips.

To throw a bigger kink in things...
I have video footage of a bearded hen with gobbler plummage that I saw a few years back. Lovett Williams confirmed this when I posted it here.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Bigspurs68

Yea ol buddy, it's a hen. It could have been the bird that gobbled too. I have heard a couple hens that actually gobbled pretty good.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

WiLL B

Yep you got a bearded hen. She has a good beard for a hen but that is what it is.

jblackburn

It's a hen.  Hen's will gobble, but usually nothing like a tom or even a jake. Plus, the body feathers are brown tipped.  Gobblers are black tipped.

Nonetheless, congrats!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

Quote from: howl on May 14, 2014, 10:17:32 AM
What part of the country? Swamp nearby? It seems a little dark. Might've been a mossy-headed gobbler.

Ok, I don't want to start anything, but mossy heads are about as common as Sasquatch!  I know people that swear up and down they exist. Maybe they did exist . . .  But really?

I think mossy heads are more likely example of what we see here.  An over zealous bearded hen!  Heck, some of them may even be hermaphrodites for all we know

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

troutfisher13111

jblackburn

Quote from: Terry on May 14, 2014, 06:28:18 PM
What is a mossy head?

The legendary small sized, hairy headed turkey that may or may not exist.

Here's a description

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=8981.0

www.gooserbatcalls.com

troutfisher13111