OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jake or Midget Tom?

Started by 870-Wingmaster, May 13, 2014, 11:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870-Wingmaster

Is my bird a midget??? I heard a bird gobble twice at a crow and the gobble sounded like a mature bird.  I cannot say that the bird I killed was the one that gobbled due to him not ever answering my call, but he did come from exactly where i heard the gobble, and was hunting narrow woods along a field edge.  Anyway, I saw the beard and shot him.  When i got to him, he looked small.  He had a 7 3/4" beard, full, short fan, no spurs, and weighed 11.4lbs.   Jake or Midget???   Below is the only pic that i got of him, but I do have his beard and fan still.

BigHeadBoy

Almost looks like a hen

Marc

Quote from: 870-Wingmaster on May 13, 2014, 11:30:34 PM
I heard a bird gobble twice at a crow and the gobble sounded like a mature bird.

I hunt Rio's out here on the west coast, but I have been unable to discern between the gobble of a mature tom verses a jake...  I have certainly heard different levels of enthusiasm or nervousness in a gobble, but I had a small jake come into me this year with a roaring gobble, and I had a tom come close with a half-hearted fart of a gobble (he was a bit nervous I believe).

Quote from: 870-Wingmaster on May 13, 2014, 11:30:34 PM
  He had a 7 3/4" beard, full, short fan, no spurs, and weighed 11.4lbs.   
Quote from: BigHeadBoy on May 14, 2014, 12:14:33 AM
Almost looks like a hen

Jakes are still bigger than that, and most would have spurs...  Size, no spurs, and appearance seems all hen to me as well.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

spurcrazy

spurcrazy

Does the turkey have waddles at the base of the neck? If you have cleaned a gobbler before it will be pretty apparent what this one is while cleaning it. If your state regs don't allow the killing of bearded hens I'd suggest removing this thread and eating that turkey for breakfast :popcorn:

tomstopper

Yep. I agree with all that has been said above. Looking at the pic and from what you have said, you definitely shot a bearded lady.......

va wingbone

Quote from: tomstopper on May 14, 2014, 06:01:26 AM
Yep. I agree with all that has been said above. Looking at the pic and from what you have said, you definitely shot a bearded lady.......
agreed

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

TrackeySauresRex

I beleive Henrietta as well.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

MACHINIST

The term is little turkeys,Midget turkey offends them!!HAHA

TauntoHawk

without a doubt thats a bearded hen
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

howl

What part of the country? Swamp nearby? It seems a little dark. Might've been a mossy-headed gobbler.

DirtNap647

hunter22

870FaceLift

You shot the Ellen of the turkey world...   :z-guntootsmiley:
Pass it on...