OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help me pick my next shotgun

Started by Bigeclipse, May 05, 2014, 03:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

Hi all.  I am new to the forum and to turkey hunting.  This is my second year (unsucessful unfortunately).  I have had turkey's come in to with in 40 yards of me, do a circle around me, and walk off. Just cannot seal the deal.  It was very fun though. Anyways, that brings me to why im posting.  I currenty have a beretta pintail(es100).  The best pattern I could get was with winchester XX 6s and a truglo super turkey choke.  Tried other chokes and ammo including hevi's, but the truglo and winchesters were the best combo.  unfortunately this pattern is only good out to 30-35yards before it goes all to hell, which is why I did not shoot at 40 yards.  I know today's guns, chokes, and ammo selections have been getting guys out to 45-60 yards which is what I am looking for.  Some will say, well that is all part of the sport, calling them in closer than 40 yards.  Well, maybe, but it is also equally fun tagging out so please do not post on here things like, "well you need to change your tactics, or get a calling partner...etc."
So here is my wish list for my next shotgun starting with most important down to least.

1) Extended range out to greater than 45 yards (the further the better...with-in reason).
2) Drilled and tapped.  Not sure if I want a scope yet but it seems people are trending that way and I may give it a shot so would like the option.
3) Ease of finding things like chokes, sight rails, other accessories and/or parts for the shotgun.
4) 3.5inch capability.  I will most likely use 3 inch BUT having the choice to use 3.5's would be nice.  I am not recoil shy and may use this shotgun for other things like waterfoul.
5) Semi auto - I dont mind pump but if I did use 3.5's, pump recoil might start to be to much although I am used to shooting my 300 bolt mag for deer season.
6) As stated previously, this will most likely be mainly a turkey gun, but I would like to possibly try waterfoul in the future, so might go with a longer barrel (28 inches..etc)
7) Cost- Obviously the lower the better but I can go as high as like 1000 dollars(new).  I will keep my eyes open for used.
So what say you all? throw me some examples what I should keep my eyes open for. Again, patterning to at least 45 yards is pretty much the most important factor.

DirtNap647

Tatr

jblackburn

Mossberg 835 or Rem 870 Super Mag.  Both are far from $1000 and shoot as good as any.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Browning Silver NWTF edition

Winchester SX2 or 3

Mossberg 935

Bob

H&R turkey pardner, 10 gauge, fiber optic sights, a true reach out and touch one at 50 yards gun. :fud: :OGani:

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Bob on May 05, 2014, 05:18:36 PM
H&R turkey pardner, 10 gauge, fiber optic sights, a true reach out and touch one at 50 yards gun. :fud: :OGani:

You don't need a 10 ga to have a 50 yard gun... With the right barrel work, choke/load combo 60 yards is very doable with a 12 or a 20 ga with TSS.

That HR 10 is good for detaching retinas, though!

10gaugemag

Browning Gold or Silver. Winchester SX2 or SX3.

Bigeclipse

thanks everyone. I have begun looking into these. do the cheaper mossberg 835 really reach out as far as the sx3 and Brownings or does that backbore barrel technology really help the patterns. again the most important factor to me is getting to an ethical 50yard gun with the old saying of around 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle. I have read people stating different combos on the Browning silver and sx3 with certain chokes and ammk getting good 50 yard patterns but not much on the mossbergs.

the Ward

Buy a rifle if ya feel the need to shoot that far...

ohiostrutter

870 or 835 if you want a semi auto I'd look at the 1187 with sure shot stock. I personally have the 870 sps turkey and love it throws wicked patterns with Hevi13 don't think you can go wrong withmossberg great guns I've always had 870's so I stick with them.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: the Ward on May 05, 2014, 06:14:19 PM
Buy a rifle if ya feel the need to shoot that far...

this is the exact comments I wanted to avoid. just because I want to shoot 50 yards does not make me any less of a hunter. sure calling them in really close is what many people love. and I will try to do my best to do that but if there are shotguns out there that can ethically kill at 50...why not? do you use chokes? some might say that's cheating over an old school side by side with out chokes. why do some people now use these hevi shot loads or the winchester xr loads when old lead loads work fine at 30 yards. if technology can get me 50 yards great. please leave comments like this out of this thread. thanks.

10gaugemag

The Browning and Winchesters are backbored and the Mossy is more of an overbore setup as it actually has a standard 10 gauge bore. Mossberg did this since the original 3 1/2" shells had the same payload as the big 10 and the room for the extra 1/4 oz. of shot was supposed to really help patterns. If you go with the Mossberg over the auto's you will pay for it in extra recoil, my hunting partners 835 is a thumper compared to either one of my 10 gauges.

Huntaholic

Ive got an 870 super mag and an 11/87 super mag. Both are equiped with a 660 rhino and shooting either hevi shot mag blends or nitro will wad turkeys up all day long at that range. The 870 isnt drilled and tapped but the 11/87 is. Honestly, I cant tell a noticable difference in recoil between the 2. Youre going to feel it with whatever you choose and a .300 win mag or even a .300 ultra mag is nothing compared to the recoil of a 3.5 in shotgun. Its the nature of the beast! LOL. Get a simms recoil pad to go on whatever you choose, it helps some.