turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VA Opener....Roosted Was Roasted!!

Started by VA_Birdhunter, April 12, 2014, 07:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

Made it down to VA later yesterday evening and got to my grandparents place around 6:30 pm.  Made the long walk to about middle ways across the property.  About 5 min after stopping I heard the first gobble down the ridge I was on.  I made my way on down to pin point where he was.  About 7:30 pm he started gobbling his head off and roosted just of a huge flat about 100 yrds on down the ridge.  I got up this morning at 4:00am and made it to my parking spot at 4:40 am.  I made sure to get up early to make the long walk and still have plenty of time before day light.  About 70 yrds from the flat I cut my light off and made the rest of the way in the dark...which was interesting.  Got set up in the flat with my decoy out and in my gobbler lounger by 5:10 am.  It was a beautiful morning with no clouds in the sky....this time is what I wait for all year from the last hunt in May until the first hunt next year in April.  Watching the sun rise this morning and talking to my Lord and Savior while I was sitting there up against that pine tree is something so special I can't find the words to describe it!    At 5:59 am I hear the first gobble behind me off in the distance which was just the start to a choir of gobblers that was going to let loose in the next 25 min.  At 6:15 am the gobbler I roosted the night before let loose about 85 yrds under off the end of the flat I was on.  From 6:15 to 6:55 am I heard at least 20+ gobblers sounding off and to be honest I lost count after that....it was a morning I dream about!  At 6:30 am I start doing some soft tree calling on my mouth call and SS Slate call and he ate it up...gobbling his head off.  I would do a short series of tree calls then go silent for about 5 min and after a few series he finally turned my way on the limb (exactly what I was wanting him to do).  At 6:45 am I do a fly down with my mouth call and wing....and do about 3 more fly downs with my wing after that.   Then I start calling with my mouth call and SS slate simulating multiple birds while scratching in the leaves....he's gobbling back like crazy along with multiple other birds.   At 6:50 am I hear him fly down..i waited about a min and hit the slate call and he immediately answers and is about 20 yrds under the hill.  Wait another min. hit the slate and mouth call his just out of site.  I quickly sit the slate down and get ready in just a few seconds I see his fan just over the crest of the ridge.  He walked up in full strut and started strutting in front of the decoy.  He finally moved over in the clearing I was wanting him in but wouldn't come out of strut...so I cut...he still won't come out of strut...so I cut hard and he finally goes into a half strut and I send the Long beard XR's down range.  Had him on the ground at 6:55 am.  It was a awesome hunt and a great show he done what we hope and pray they all do.  Come in off the roost on a string....gobbling and strutting like crazy and drop him at 21 yrds.   He weighed 20.81 lbs, 10 1/4 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs...a nice 2 yr old.    I quickly got my stuff together and moved due to the other birds still gobbling around me and was afraid of spooking them.  Here is a few pics in the woods and at home.  Sorry there not the best...the one's in the woods are from my phone and the ones at home is from a cheap camera I use.  My wife's the photographer and she was going with her very nice camera....so this was the best I could do.  I also have to give props to SS Custom Calls....they are unbelievable and will pull the gobbles out of them...best custom friction call I've every bought and helped me seal the deal this morning!!   Lastly I would like to add our God is an Awesome  God....and I truly thank him for allowing me to see another spring sun rise!! Thank you Lord!! 

God Bless

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

beagler

Never Misses

eddie234

Congrats!

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

bmhern

It don't get much better than that, congrats!!!
                                                                                 :icon_thumright:

boomer

letinmfly

Congrats!!  What call is that pictured?
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

darn2ten

weave

Well done congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

cross21114

What a great story and pics.  Well done.

JVA54

DirtNap647

TJK68

imp

Congrats, great write up, like I was there with you.  :cowboy:
"well, other than the occasional proffer of wisdom or sound advice, mostly my job is to walk around and animadvert the
situational happenings."