turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

OMG.... Did that really just happen?

Started by darn2ten, April 09, 2014, 09:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darn2ten

Got on a bird this morning. Textbook, called and he gobbled, then gobbled some more. He was closing the distance at a pretty good rate. Saw some hens coming that passed by about 30 yards in front of me. I could hear him drumming and bringing up the rear. Then there he was in all his glory, strutting and Puttin' on a big show. I clucked and he came closer, at about 15 yds. With him in full strut I decided I better go on and end this. The next time he stretched his head up I squeezed the trigger...... SILENCE! Somehow the firing pin was not set, sure wish I would of had a pump this morning. Never had this happen before. I sat there as he eased off. He went over a rise and gobbled again. I tried to get back around on him but the property line stopped me. Guess this just means I get to hunt him another day, I still feel like the hunt was successful.

Spring_Woods

I hate hate hate when equipment malfunctions. If it's a malfunction due to the gun itself, I'll discard it. No use getting out of bed that early just have your equipment fail when it's needed.
Hope you get another shot at him. Sounds like you will. 
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

darn2ten

I know what I did, thinking back it was my fault. It's the first time I hunted with this gun this year. Don't know why I decided to grab it this morning. I've killed 2 with my old browning and just thought I would try something different I guess.

Vabirddog

Catch and release. I wish more people would do that! :camohat:

FullChoke

Quote from: Vabirddog on April 09, 2014, 10:10:40 AM
Catch and release. I wish more people would do that! :camohat:
C&R - Beautiful idea.  :icon_thumright:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Longshot

Sounds like you know where to be in the morning. I can't wait to see the pics!
Hunt with your children today and you won't have to hunt for them tomorrow.

redarrow

I'm gonna take a wold guess that you held the bolt back when you closed it so it wouldn't slam shut and be noisy.then forgot to bump it with your palm. I've been known to do that. Go get him. :icon_thumright:

JALA Strut

Still sounds like an exciting hunt...well, short of the BOOM.  "15 yards" - Love those close encounters!  You'll get a second chance at him and be sure to show us the pics!

darn2ten

Well at least I did get to shoot him with my phone a short while later. Never could get him back from the ladies.

DirtNap647

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

darn2ten

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 09, 2014, 12:45:10 PM
Belly crawl to him!
To far, that's actually over the property line. He was further out in that clearing than in looks. I was zooming in.

spur collector

I have a feeling that you will get another crack at him before it's all said and done.

birdyhunter

Thats terrible! Always glad I have my trusty pump with me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk