turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

OMG.... Did that really just happen?

Started by darn2ten, April 09, 2014, 09:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter91

Good luck on him next time, about 10 years ago my dad was using a browning a5 and we had the same thing happen and when it snapped he grabbed the bolt, pulled it back and let it go and was able to kill the bird. After that time if we use a auto we make sure that the bolt is all the way down.

bamagtrdude

I've had a very "similar" thing happen - called in 2 strutting toms from slam gone, came all the way into my dekes, & I went to fire -- *except*, in my case, my firing pin actually did hit the primer on the shell in my Mossy 835 (pump), and it didn't fire; at the sound, the birds IMMEDIATELY ran off 50 yards in a flash, and ...  I panicked...

I've thought back on this hunt A MILLION times - and, had I to do it all over again (and not be SURPRISED by it, like I was back then), I would have just called lightly, and then when they (hopefully) got back to the dekes, shuck a shell real fast & shoot one...

Would-a, should-a, could-a...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

WV Ridge Reaper

Wow,I'm not sure what I would of done..I would of needed a box of tissues when I got back to the truck that's for sure lol.

bamagtrdude

I'm still "crying" over my ...  incident...  And, of course, that happened on the very last day I could hunt them, so...  It still "hurts" to think about what "could have been"...
---

darn2ten

I normally hunt with a A5, wish I would of had it today. He's about a 10 minute walk out behind the house. I thought about racking the bolt real quick, but figured I wouldn't spook him. We'll play again another day.

bamagtrdude

Ya man, you'll get 'em!!  Good luck!
---

learn2hide

:TrainWreck1:  if you were a real man and hunted with an atlatl that woudln't happen LOL  Sorry man, been there, it sucks...good luck next hunt! :anim_25:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

tomstopper

Bummer but stay after him and you will get him.....

hootn

on my brwning gold i leave the action open when i unload it. when i get out next time i just put a shell in the magazine and it cycles it self.

scott

Dan Mallia

I had a hevi-13 dud last year on a bird. When he heard that click he BOLTED.

What a terrible feeling!!  Got get him again!!

sasquatch1

Man I know your pain, same exact thing happened to me a week ago!!! Sucks but I redeemed myself the next day so hopefully you do too

slamman

been there done that unfortunately for awhile at least you play the scenerio over and over in your mind asking yourself WHAT IF i would have done something differently.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: slamman on April 10, 2014, 10:25:25 AM
been there done that unfortunately for awhile at least you play the scenerio over and over in your mind asking yourself WHAT IF i would have done something differently.

yep, which really is "wasted energy" b/c the hunt is over.  but, we all still do it!  :)
---

albrubacker

I have had something similar happen with a pump. I had been dry firing my benelli to try and smooth the trigger the night before. The next morning I only opened the action far enough to drop a shell in the chamber, so the firing pin never cocked. Thankfully I managed to get the gun cocked and killed the bird at 15yrds.
Hope he will give you another chance!!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Cut N Run

In 1994, I had one coming straight to my calls and already had the gun up on my knee.  I eased the gun up to my shoulder and went to squeeze the trigger when he got inside 30 yards.  Nothing happened.  Without moving, I glanced at the bolt and it was wide open...I'd forgot to load the gun.  I fished around for a shell in my vest pocket when the gobbler turned and his fan covered his head.  I slid the shell in the chamber and went to close it, figuring I'd shoot as soon as the bolt slammed shut, but it never closed.  The gobbler got nervous and bolted.  It turns out that I'd accidentally loaded a cylinder shaped cigarette lighter into the chamber of my gun.

Ever since then I load the gun as soon as it comes out of the case and I only carry oval shaped lighters that I keep zipped up away from my ammo pocket.  I don't even smoke either...I used the lighter to light a friend's cigarette at the truck and put it back in the wrong pocket by mistake.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.