OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spraying for ticks

Started by memert116, April 05, 2014, 07:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

memert116

Headed for Texas this Tuesday & then straight to S.C.  Thought I should spray all the camo with Sawyers.

L.F. Cox

Let us know if you get any...I tried Sawyers brand in a pump spray bottle a couple years back and got several ticks on me. I was shocked because my clothes smelled like a chemical waste dump.

I'm a believer in the Repel brand myself.

memert116

Will let you know.  I picked the Sawyers with permethrin because it is "supposed" to be odorless and most of the guys on here said they had good luck with it.   I shall see!

Rio Fan

I've used Sawyers for the past two years and have not found a single tick on me.  I have a buddy that's been using it for years.  He was hunting in Kansas several years ago and didn't have any problems with ticks, but the guy he was hunting with didn't have any Sawyers on his clothes/boots and he found several on him.

trackerbucky

I wonder if they changed the formula since you used it. The batch I used last year was odorless once it dried and I never saw a tick on my clothes or me. 
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

datrip

Treated mine today with Sawyers for opening day this coming Saturday in NC.
Whatever is over my head is under His feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2007

beagler

Still have a month to go before our Pa season opens but I'll be spraying my clothing down soon.
Never Misses

Skeeterbait

All the permethrin sprays leave a very slight scent to me which I would describe as a musty scent, but it is very slight and not unpleasant.  Permethrin flat works for ticks and redbugs/chiggers.  Not so good on mosquitoes.  For them you need a Thermacell.  :icon_thumright:

memert116

Quote from: Skeeterbait on April 05, 2014, 10:04:08 PM
All the permethrin sprays leave a very slight scent to me which I would describe as a musty scent, but it is very slight and not unpleasant.  Permethrin flat works for ticks and redbugs/chiggers.  Not so good on mosquitoes.  For them you need a Thermacell.  :icon_thumright:

Clothes have dried for a few hours.  Couldn't really detect any odors....admittedly my sniffer isn't very good.  I'm a tick and chigger magnet so I hope it really does work.  I've got my Thermacell all loaded up too....  :icon_thumright:

Kilchis

Not to hijack, but would it be a bad idea to spray the inside of my pant legs from the knees down as well as the outside?  I got an infection from a tick several years ago and would prefer not to repeat the experience.

Skeeterbait

I haven't ever done that but I dont think it would be a problem so long as it has completely dried before wearing them.  But don't forget to spray your boots.  I spray snake boots and pants and put pant legs in boots which seals out any critters.

WyoHunter

Quote from: memert116 on April 05, 2014, 07:09:09 PM
Headed for Texas this Tuesday & then straight to S.C.  Thought I should spray all the camo with Sawyers.
Good idea!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

bbcoach

Quote from: datrip on April 05, 2014, 09:22:40 PM
Treated mine today with Sawyers for opening day this coming Saturday in NC.
Definitely a GOOD thing to do!  With the nice weather we had in Eastern NC, I went out to do some scouting last Thursday and guess what hitched a ride with me.  Yep.  With only a week of warm weather, they are out.

memert116

Quote from: Kilchis on April 05, 2014, 11:51:17 PM
Not to hijack, but would it be a bad idea to spray the inside of my pant legs from the knees down as well as the outside?  I got an infection from a tick several years ago and would prefer not to repeat the experience.

The youtube video I watched says that skin contact isn't an issue as long as you let it dry first.  Also says that it's effectiveness is good for 6 washings.   I sprayed everything, including socks and snakeboots..... :)

mtsrunner

I am trying it for the first time this year. I used a whole bottle on my Rhino XP-1 blind and let it dry for about 6 hours outside on a nice breezy day. It rained all day opening weekend, so I guess I will find out if a whole day of rain is equal to 'several washings'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk