turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone with a snake-bite story ?

Started by olejake, March 27, 2014, 11:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olejake

Georgia copperhead popped me in my early twenties..was walking across a sandy  bluff  on the Satilla  trying to find some Walker pups that were lost from the night before ...was wearing a pair of cutoff shorts. ..mid-day...dog days of summer... had to  have been over 100 degrees..not a bush in sight...walked by a little scrubby pine and the sucker struck me..guess he was shedding his skin and was blind..struck at my movement as I went past the pine...  saw him out of my peripheral vision, but was too late...nothing around to kill him with with.. he crawled down a gopher hole, but not before I identified him..spent one night in the hospital and was well educated about anti-venom after that....found it kinda ironic...have stepped on rattlers several times and felt 'em almost roll underneath my boot and never got popped and just walked near this copperhead and got bit ..lol

bamagtrdude

---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

memert116

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 27, 2014, 11:58:46 AM
Read this thread: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,42409.0.html

OK....I messed up big time....LOL.  I am supposed to hunt Texas in a week and a half....just read these posts.....YIKES!!!   I will be wearing Danner 18" lace up snakes boots but now I wish I had an entire snake proof body suit!!!!

olejake

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 27, 2014, 11:58:46 AM
Read this thread: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,42409.0.html

Soles coming off my Rockys this weeknd . been a good pair..gonna replace them with a true snake boot this time of some sort..especially after reading this...lol

bamagtrdude

I think my "next" pair of snakeboots will be the Lacrosse ones: http://www.shoebuy.com/lacrosse-alpha-mudlite-18-infinity-35mm/441335/939477?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla-_-none-_-none-_-none

Here's what I found out about "waterproof" snake boots - they lose their waterproofing!  :(  I've spent a bunch of money on "waterproof snake boots" and now they're just "snake boots"...  So, if WATERPROOF and SNAKEPROOF are important, I'd highly recommend you check into these boots...
---

FullChoke

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 27, 2014, 01:02:27 PM
I think my "next" pair of snakeboots will be the Lacrosse ones: http://www.shoebuy.com/lacrosse-alpha-mudlite-18-infinity-35mm/441335/939477?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla-_-none-_-none-_-none

Here's what I found out about "waterproof" snake boots - they lose their waterproofing!  :(  I've spent a bunch of money on "waterproof snake boots" and now they're just "snake boots"...  So, if WATERPROOF and SNAKEPROOF are important, I'd highly recommend you check into these boots...

Oddly enough, the boots that you link to are not snake boots. The Alpha Mudlite 18 series are not necessarily snakeproof. These are however. http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/alpha-mudlite-realtreer-apgr-snake-boots.html 

Carefully check the specifications, particularly with boots of very similar designs.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

olejake

Thanks...NOT buying another pair of Rockys..was a big advocate of them until last 2 pairs came apart at the sole/heel..current pair is only one year new..sounds like I am not the only one to have this prob

bamagtrdude

Thx for the correction, FullChoke!!!
---

Crappiepro

My buddy and I went fishing. He had a 14ft jon-boat up-side down laying on the bank. We flipped her over and went fishing. About 20 minutes in I kept feeling something hit my ankle, I'd look down and there was nothing there. I was setting on the boat seat( the kind that has the full width seat) I stopped and started watching, well it was a black snake and he would strike my ankle when I moved. I jumped up and went to the back of the boat and told my buddy "Here hold this(My fishing pole) He said "What are ya doin?" I said "Im jumping out, there's a snake in the boat"
Well we headed to the bank and I was about to jump and the snake came out. I was able to flip the 4 1/2 ft beast out of the boat. He thought it was funny but I was headed for the bank rather the boat took me there or not LOL!

memert116

Quote from: Crappiepro on March 27, 2014, 02:28:12 PM
My buddy and I went fishing. He had a 14ft jon-boat up-side down laying on the bank. We flipped her over and went fishing. About 20 minutes in I kept feeling something hit my ankle, I'd look down and there was nothing there. I was setting on the boat seat( the kind that has the full width seat) I stopped and started watching, well it was a black snake and he would strike my ankle when I moved. I jumped up and went to the back of the boat and told my buddy "Here hold this(My fishing pole) He said "What are ya doin?" I said "Im jumping out, there's a snake in the boat"
Well we headed to the bank and I was about to jump and the snake came out. I was able to flip the 4 1/2 ft beast out of the boat. He thought it was funny but I was headed for the bank rather the boat took me there or not LOL!

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!

hs strut

one of the farms ive got permission to the owner back when he was in his 20s was a logger on a crew of about 10 men well they were on a stretch near a big rock quarry near lafayette tn there are rattlers back in that area well they went off the hill to start choking logs and he said he had a real sharp pain hit his left leg he had been bitten by a rattler turns out it was the mating season for those snakes 1 other guy got bit coming up the hill to leave for the hospital
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

DirtNap647

wow guys got me thinking bout some snake boots

MiamiE

allaboutshooting

I hunt serious snake country in the bluffs and bottoms along side the Mississippi River. It is literally crawling with snakes. Each spring they close a road because snakes by the hundreds come down out of the  bluffs where they've wintered and each fall they close that same road so that they can go back to the bluffs to winter. Many people visit that area each year just to see the snakes.

In the spring and summer, they are just about everywhere. Rattle snakes and copperheads abound but amazingly enough, there are very few folks who get bitten each year.

As a turkey hunters we must be very careful, since a good bit of the time, we're sitting on the ground in the spring. I've had several occasions over the years when snakes have "visited" my location and one very memorable one when after shooting a turkey and going back to get my cap which had fallen off in my run to get the bird, I saw a copperhead coiled up about 10' or so from where I'd been sitting when I shot.

A friend was bitten by a copperhead many years ago and lost a lot of his calf muscle. He was hospitalized for quite some time and there was fear that he might lose his leg. They are nasty creatures.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 28, 2014, 09:12:19 AM
I hunt serious snake country in the bluffs and bottoms along side the Mississippi River. It is literally crawling with snakes. Each spring they close a road because snakes by the hundreds come down out of the  bluffs where they've wintered and each fall they close that same road so that they can go back to the bluffs to winter. Many people visit that area each year just to see the snakes.

In the spring and summer, they are just about everywhere. Rattle snakes and copperheads abound but amazingly enough, there are very few folks who get bitten each year.

As a turkey hunters we must be very careful, since a good bit of the time, we're sitting on the ground in the spring. I've had several occasions over the years when snakes have "visited" my location and one very memorable one when after shooting a turkey and going back to get my cap which had fallen off in my run to get the bird, I saw a copperhead coiled up about 10' or so from where I'd been sitting when I shot.

A friend was bitten by a copperhead many years ago and lost a lot of his calf muscle. He was hospitalized for quite some time and there was fear that he might lose his leg. They are nasty creatures.

Thanks,
Clark

Clark,

I been to Snake Road.  Never saw a snake.  But I have heard the stories.