turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help, My dog got my beard

Started by cohuttariverrat, March 25, 2014, 10:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cohuttariverrat

Long hunt story shortened, I got my 2nd tom ever today. Hit him bad 1st shot an sprinted behind him 150yd uphill to finish him. Darn near passed out I ran so hard an I'm a firefighter in good shape. Anyways I placed the beard on my porch rail when going inside to clean up my hands. My dog got the beard an demolished it. I'm so pissed. I have a few strands. What can I do? It will never be like the original I understand. 8.5in beard and average thickness. If I had killed lots of birds before it wouldn't be so upsetting.

DirtNap647

miro15

Green Trumpeter

Sounds like it will be a funny story to look back on to me.  There will be many more beards to come anyways.  Now if it was some 1 1/2" hooks I would be a little disappointed.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: littlebuk4 on March 25, 2014, 10:41:14 PM
Sounds like it will be a funny story to look back on to me.  There will be many more beards to come anyways.  Now if it was some 1 1/2" hooks I would be a little disappointed.

Would be a dead dog lol jk. You're pretty much out of luck unless you can gather all the strands and hot glue em together. Had a dog/critter carry off a nice 8 pt I was Euro mounting one time.

archery1

welll.. follow it around with a pooper scooper
Take a kid hunting

budtripp

Reminds me of my 09 season. I had come home on leave after missing the past 3 seasons due to deployment/field training etc. First morning out I killed a monster gobbler and was beyond thrilled.  Then 2 days later, on my second morning out I shot my first bird with a bow. Had both fans, beards, and sets of legs in my dad's garage salted down and drying when one day dad's German short hair somehow got in and decided he'd like to shred both fans and beards and eat ALL 4 of the legs. To add insult to injury,  I took pictures with my sister's digital camera and loaded them onto our old desktop. A few weeks down the road that computer crashes and so I have no pictures left either.

memert116

sorry for the mishap with the beard but dogs will be dogs....not much consolation I know.

Old Gobbler

I just remembered I had the legs and beard in a ziplock back in my truck from the gobbler I killed this week --- lol  , I ran out and threw some salt on it -- your post reminded me

I remember when I was a kid , my dad had this real nice gobbler I killed when I was 16 years old mounted -- came home one day and noticed my moms cat chewed the spurs right off of it -- I always hated cats

Don't sweat it , there will be more gobblers in your future ----
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

memert116

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 25, 2014, 11:39:39 PM

Great advice.... :icon_thumright:

Bigspurs68

I had a walker pup chew up a dozen or so that he found before I realized he was on the loose. Just cussed myself and laughed at him. There will be more beards, just hang on to those spurs. The hooks are where it's at.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

tomstopper

Quote from: memert116 on March 25, 2014, 11:42:57 PM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 25, 2014, 11:39:39 PM

Great advice.... :icon_thumright:
:agreed: My pics and beards from all my gobblers got burned up in a fire at my dads 5 years ago. Now that still upsets me...... Life goes on and now I just can't wait for my girls to start their collection......

silvestris

Cut his tail off for a substitute trophy.  You will cherish it someday.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

bamagtrdude

Quote from: silvestris on March 26, 2014, 03:18:55 AM
Cut his tail off for a substitute trophy.  You will cherish it someday.

+1 haha !!!! :lol:  That really sux that your dog ate your beard, man - it really does.  The only thing you can do is slip back into you camo & get back after it & bag another one; who knows, it might be bigger than your current trophy.  But be dog-gone (sorry, couldn't resist) if I'd be putting that beard/fan/legs anywhere *near* that mutt.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

2eagles