OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help, My dog got my beard

Started by cohuttariverrat, March 25, 2014, 10:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muskie03

last year i was drying out the legs of 7 birds i had killed. the spurs were soon to be removed. The dog ate everyone except 1.  they don't know any better, but i did cuss him out, damn block head lab
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

TRKYHTR

Take the brass from the shell you shot the turkey and pull the plastic part of the shell away from the brass. It works easy if you boil it for 5 minutes. Pop the primer out with a nail. get a hot glue gun and a piece of leather or she string. Cut the leather 6" long and loop both the open ends thru the primer hole. Now take your hot glue and fill the brass 3/4 full. stick each piece of beard that you have left in the hot glue before it dries. Make sure you stay away from the brass after the hot glue is in because it can burn you. When it is dry you will have whats left of your beard on the brass you used and you can hang it up some where. You can even take a sharpie and write on the brass the day and stats of that turkey. Good luck,

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Gooserbat

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on March 25, 2014, 11:58:55 PM
I had a walker pup chew up a dozen or so that he found before I realized he was on the loose. Just cussed myself and laughed at him. There will be more beards, just hang on to those spurs. The hooks are where it's at.

Yep I to am a spur man, sure I keep the beards but my wife gripes and gripes about "your turkey feet"!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

SSCsnood

killed my second multi bearded bird last year, he had 3 very decent beards... left them connected with the skin between them and it looked pretty cool with all of them together until an outside cat that evidently turned into an inside cat every time I left the house made an appetizer of it....grrrrr! I eventually got over it but it took a good while

CrustyRusty

This is a good idea...Take a pic of your dog and put it with the beard.  It will be a good memory of the hunt and of your dog that you will treasure one day.

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 26, 2014, 09:34:20 AM
Take the brass from the shell you shot the turkey and pull the plastic part of the shell away from the brass. It works easy if you boil it for 5 minutes. Pop the primer out with a nail. get a hot glue gun and a piece of leather or she string. Cut the leather 6" long and loop both the open ends thru the primer hole. Now take your hot glue and fill the brass 3/4 full. stick each piece of beard that you have left in the hot glue before it dries. Make sure you stay away from the brass after the hot glue is in because it can burn you. When it is dry you will have whats left of your beard on the brass you used and you can hang it up some where. You can even take a sharpie and write on the brass the day and stats of that turkey. Good luck,

Joe

redarrow

Quote from: archery1 on March 25, 2014, 10:54:28 PM
welll.. follow it around with a pooper scooper

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: Thats what I was thinking. Feed his ex lax and make him wear a diaper.
In all seriousness though I feel your pain. Hopefully you got a pic or two.

FullChoke

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 26, 2014, 09:34:20 AM
Take the brass from the shell you shot the turkey and pull the plastic part of the shell away from the brass. It works easy if you boil it for 5 minutes. Pop the primer out with a nail. get a hot glue gun and a piece of leather or she string. Cut the leather 6" long and loop both the open ends thru the primer hole. Now take your hot glue and fill the brass 3/4 full. stick each piece of beard that you have left in the hot glue before it dries. Make sure you stay away from the brass after the hot glue is in because it can burn you. When it is dry you will have whats left of your beard on the brass you used and you can hang it up some where. You can even take a sharpie and write on the brass the day and stats of that turkey.
That is exactly what I would do. Go out there and gather up as many strands as you can find and hot glue then in the brass. This procedure that Joe has described is what I do with the beard off of all of my birds, but I also string the cleaned spurs on the leather thong. I take an electric engraver and scribe any data I need to remind me about the bird into the brass. 

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Crawdad

I got an idea for you, about 10 years ago I decided to pull a joke on a old timer turkey hunter who had hunted for years & claim to have seen it all. I knew a friend who had horses & ask if he ever trimmed their tails, of all the horses he had he only had the hair from a palomino horse. Well I took that big tail & took some black shoe polish & rubbed it all through that tail & it looked perfect with gray streaks all through it & mounted it into a shotgun hull, I was going to leave it about 20" long but I knew he would never believe that, so I trimmed it to 16" & it was all I could to get it all into the shell. Well at Church one morn he ask if I had killed a turkey yet, I looked at him & in a quiet voice, I said, man your not going to believe what I have killed, I told him I had killed a turkey that weighed 37 lbs with a 16" beard, his eyes got so big & said did I have the beard with me, I told him I had it in the car & would show him after Church. Well after Church he couldn't wait to see it, I showed him & he said how long were the spurs, I told him the turkey was so old it had worn the spurs down to the nubs. well to make a long story short he told so many people about it they made fun of him & he staked his reputation on it & said if anyone knew turkeys it was him & that the beard was real. Finally he ask if he could take the beard to work to show he's Buddy's, and also ask where I had killed it, well I said it not far from the Golf course where I work & nobody was supposed to be in there & there was a bigger one with the one I killed, then he said, I SAW THOSE TURKEYS. That is when I told him it was all a joke. He liked to have killed me. :TooFunny: :deadhorse:

Gooserbat

Quote from: Crawdad on March 26, 2014, 12:08:21 PM
I got an idea for you, about 10 years ago I decided to pull a joke on a old timer turkey hunter who had hunted for years & claim to have seen it all. I knew a friend who had horses & ask if he ever trimmed their tails, of all the horses he had he only had the hair from a palomino horse. Well I took that big tail & took some black shoe polish & rubbed it all through that tail & it looked perfect with gray streaks all through it & mounted it into a shotgun hull, I was going to leave it about 20" long but I knew he would never believe that, so I trimmed it to 16" & it was all I could to get it all into the shell. Well at Church one morn he ask if I had killed a turkey yet, I looked at him & in a quiet voice, I said, man your not going to believe what I have killed, I told him I had killed a turkey that weighed 37 lbs with a 16" beard, his eyes got so big & said did I have the beard with me, I told him I had it in the car & would show him after Church. Well after Church he couldn't wait to see it, I showed him & he said how long were the spurs, I told him the turkey was so old it had worn the spurs down to the nubs. well to make a long story short he told so many people about it they made fun of him & he staked his reputation on it & said if anyone knew turkeys it was him & that the beard was real. Finally he ask if he could take the beard to work to show he's Buddy's, and also ask where I had killed it, well I said it not far from the Golf course where I work & nobody was supposed to be in there & there was a bigger one with the one I killed, then he said, I SAW THOSE TURKEYS. That is when I told him it was all a joke. He liked to have killed me. :TooFunny: :deadhorse:

That's a Good One!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

contagious

See them for sale on ebay all the time.!!

wvboy

Give him some Ipecac and hope he swallowed it whole :)
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: archery1 on March 25, 2014, 10:54:28 PM
welll.. follow it around with a pooper scooper

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 25, 2014, 11:39:39 PM
Don't sweat it , there will be more gobblers in your future ----
:agreed: :icon_thumright:

nate829

I Feel your pain!! Our dog got a hold of my longest beard to date and destroyed it. I gathered up as many of the strands as I could and I glued it back together with epoxy. Turned out okay. Little thinner and shorter than it was before lol! The beard was 11 1/4" before the dog incident. It is now 11"

beagler

I left two beards on my workbench in my garage one afternoon. The next day I found nothing but pieces left. Mice! Never made that mistake again. Ended up trapping a half dozen or so.
Never Misses

earlybird

Same thing happened to me yrs ago my dog climbed up on the kitchen table and got 4 beards that were some of the best I've killed.Luckily he just chewed the ends off before my wife stopped him,and I was able to glue them back together.