OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flashlights walking in?

Started by WillH, March 24, 2014, 01:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillH

I wanted to get some opinions on using a headlamp setting up on birds in the morning. I've always used a green led caplight and done pretty well. I've heard red work even better, then there's folks who don't use em at all. I personally don't like not having a flashlight on moonless nights cause I end up tripping over stuff and breaking sticks underfoot.

What works for you?

Hook hanger

renegade19

shadetree callers

I agree, a light is a must have. I would rather the birds saw a little light than hear me stumble over sticks . I do not think they associate the flicker of a distant light with danger but they most certainly get antsy and or flyaway when they HEAR you coming.

bamagtrdude

Red lights, but only if I have to.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

West Augusta

I use a green cap light also.  I can't see that well with the red ones.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Gooserbat

I've used lights in the past but for the most part I don't use one.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Garrett Trentham

If I can help it, I won't use one. If I feel going without will make too much noise, I'll use a dim headlamp and go in another half hour to forty five minutes early to let things settle down.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Twowithone

I use a green light. But for the most part if you snap a twig those turkeys don't know if its you or a deer that snapped that twig.Are their heads out from under their wing at 5:30 in the morning that I don't know hey it,s turkey hunting. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Old Gobbler

Using any kind of flashlight is a great way not to hear any gobbling ,

I do however for whatever rare occasion that I might need a light to load my gun by the truck etc.... A small 1 triple a battery light - I have the bulb colored red with a red marker and a great way to hide the beam is to hold it in the fist of your hand with the lens inside a inch in your hand , you can crack your grip and let a slight beam of light shine out , it's impossible for anything to see the bright beam

I'll go a entire season and not use it , the only place I may use it is rounding the edges of small ponds where moccasins like to wait for a meal , or opening cattle gates
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

COssman14

Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

kenfa03

Too many snakes in west Texas not to use light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeeterbait

Rule no 1 is don't use it unless you absolutely have to on a moonless night.  If you have to, use a green light that gives off the lowest glow you can get away with.  One with a directed beam that isn't visable from the sides.  Use it in your hand and keep it low and on the ground right at your feet.  Don't bob it around as that is more noticeable.  A cap light is the worst because your constantly bobing your head around.  A steady low glow on the ground at your feet is not near as noticeable and is enough to avoid noisy sticks or trip on things.  A little Photon Freedom Covert in green is usually all that is needed, about 4 lumen.  Be sure to get the covert with the hooded bulb.  It will run about 12 hours on a coin cell battery.  If you need more, a Streamlight Clipmate in green gives about 25 lumen.  It will run about 40 hours on 3 AAA.  I have both in my vest but actually use them very little.

memert116

Quote from: kenfa03 on March 24, 2014, 09:08:46 PM
Too many snakes in west Texas not to use light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that is just wrong to say.....I'll be there second week of April.  Normally I don't use a light but I would rather use a million candle power spotlight than sit on a snake...... :fud:

Kbota

Wow!  I am quite surprised at the number of fellows that do not use a light at all in the mornings.

I'm just in my second year of turkey hunting.  Last year, I scored a Jake, and I used a flashlight to get into my hunting area every morning.  Of course, I can't claim any special calling success. These three jakes were following the same general path every morning, and after figuring that out, I just placed myself in that path.  One of them made some really good meals too.

I started turkey hunting late in life as I'm now 61, and this is my second spring.  I cannot imagine walking through the stuff I walk through in the dark without the benefit of a flashlight of some kind.     

I hunt national forest land, and they burn it off in three year cycles.  The burns do a lot of good for us hunters by keeping the grass to manageable heights, but there is a lot of evergreen vines, burned stump holes,  and a lot of fallen timber that would make walking without light virtually impossible.  Plus, I walk as much as 600 to 700 yards through this stuff.  We have no farmland in this area to hunt.  Timber is the primary industry here in this part of Louisiana,...mostly run by the feds.  There are many fine hardwood bottoms though, and the turkeys love to scratch and feed in these areas.

Would appreciate any suggestions.  Do you think I'm spooking these birds by using a light?   I guess I  could walk in right at the buttcrack of dawn, but I've been going in a little earlier around 6 am.  It starts getting light around 6:40 am.  Do I need to go in earlier to give them time to settle down?  or later?

This year is turning out to be more frustrating than last year, but last year, I really didn't expect much out of myself.   I am retired, and can hunt every day if I want. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

k