OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flashlights walking in?

Started by WillH, March 24, 2014, 01:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillH

I appreciate all the opinions shared fellers. Somethin to think about.  :fud: :OGani:

olejake

Moon or no moon,I will use a handheld pinlight pointed at the ground aimed at  my next footfall.. we hunt Ga and Fl (snake country)..been bitten once by a copperhead and do not relish the idea of my hunt getting screwed up by another trip to the ER...lol... I do not use a caplight on the bobbin' noggin'..

SwampSniper

I don't use one but i do carry one just in case i have any other hunters moving in on me before daylight.

SwampSniper

I don't use one but i do carry one just in case i have any other hunters moving in on me before daylight.

SCGobbler

I didn't use one until I read Bobby Cole's Dummy Line 4 days before season opened last year.  Been hunting since 1989!!!  Awesome read, makes you think!!!!

Sent from my Windows Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

kenfa03

Quote from: SCGobbler on March 26, 2014, 09:13:50 PM
I didn't use one until I read Bobby Cole's Dummy Line 4 days before season opened last year.  Been hunting since 1989!!!  Awesome read, makes you think!!!!

Sent from my Windows Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southernbuck01

I don't use one and don't even carry one in my vest.  I did walk up within 10 steps of 2 big hogs the other mornin and we had a little standoff.  I puckered up bad, I won't lie. Haha.  I wished at that moment that I had a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

I'll hold my red light in my hand and keep it close to the ground if I'm in brush or crossing a creek. I try to use it as little as possible, but I also don't want to fall flat on my face.

Recurve

I ask the same question a few weeks ago like you I was surprised the number hunters that don't
use a light of any kind.I started late my self this is my fifth year I am 67.I have been using a pin light and it has not been a problem so far.i live in Va. and we have some BIG timber rattlers here.
And I also get turned around in the dark. So I think it would be ok to use a small green or red light.
Just my thought.

turkeykiller

I have been hunting since 2000 and have killed many long beards and have always used a flash light. Only time I turn it off is crossing fields. I have used white and green lights and have had no problems just don't shine it up in the trees and you will be fine.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

No lights. It's a variable that doesn't need to be introduced into the equation.

ssettle

I use a single cell flash light. It gives me just enough light to see the ground so I make as little noise as possible. Head lamps or cap lights sometimes get shined into the trees spooking birds off the roost if I happen to look up when climbing the mountains I hunt. Early in the season before the tree sprout leaves is when it can happen the most. If it is moon lit pretty good I don't use the light. Either way do it the safest way you can, you don't want to step over a log and have mister nasty coiled  :welcomeOG: :emoticon-cartoon-012: waiting to strike if you happen to step near where he's laying

Cut N Run

I'm pretty night blind, so on dark or cloudy nights, I use a single bulb green LED pen light I keep closed in my fist so I can regulate the amount of light it shines.  I only keep it pointed down in front of my feet on the way through the woods.  It helps to use those reflective tacks at the base of trees to help guide you to the area you want to start.  It is way too easy to get turned around in a swamp before daylight and I sure don't want to step on Mr. No-Shoulders.  I'd rather use a minimal light to get where I need to be than risk busting birds off the roost or getting snake bit.  I don't get as much time to turkey hunt as I'd like (who does?) and I have to use practical things to my advantage.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

mikejd

I rarely use a light when getting close to my set up area but that said I have stood under roosted birds with a light so many times that I can't say I believe it matters. I have had gobblers sound off from just feet away from were I fumbled around under a tree
for 5 minutes (taking care of business in the dark). go figure who knows.