OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What length barrel?

Started by MG150, March 19, 2014, 07:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MG150

I know this topic has probably been covered many times but bear with me.All my shotguns were bought many years ago,All have 28'' barrels.Want to invest in a turkey only model.Too many barrel lengths to choose from 20" to 24".Could someone tell me some of the advantages or disadvantages of barrel lengths and maybe what kind of shot patterns to expect from different lengths.Everyones advice is appreciated!Thanks,MG

taylorjones20

http://nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

This link helps describe what happens to the pattern of different length barrels...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

DirtNap647

mikejd

OH boy!!

Its all personal. I love my barrels as short as possible. I can get some butt kicking patterns out of my Winchester short.(that's an 18" barrel). That said there is no doubt that you can up pellet count with a longer barrel. Remember 1 thing dead is dead so choose what is comfortable to you.

300 pellets in a turkey head is not much different then 200 when hes lying there in the grass.

Skeeterbait

Shorter than 22 it gets to be much more finiky about chokes and shells, longer than 26 and it gets to be more of a hassle to carry.  22, 24 and 26 are good middle ground with 24 being my personal favorite.

R AJ

Also bear in mind that a 2" choke extension is pretty normal for turkey guns.

CrustyRusty

I like shorter barrels for a dedicated Turkey gun.  But if I use my shotgun for other pursuits, then I think  a 26 is a good compromise. 

grayfox

When I buy a shotgun to be used for everything I always get it with a 26" barrel.  My turkey guns have 21' & 22" barrels which for me is what I like by the time you add a 1-2" choke to it.  I also hunt with a 24" on my Beretta when I take it sometimes. Shorter ones may be tougher to get good patterns from but they are a joy to carry in the woods.  What Skeeterbait said pretty much sums it up.

old3toe

For turkeys I'm spoiled to the short barrels. I don't mind a 26"-28" in field setups and open woods but most of my hunting is done in jungle like terrain straight up and down. There is nothing worse than having a long barrel snagging on tree limbs and vines while your trying to snake through dense over growth! It'll make a for hour hunt feel like eight hours and when the temps are high will wear me out. Ill take 18.5" -22" any day.lol

WildTigerTrout

I have four turkey specific shotguns. Three have 24" barrels and one has a 26".
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

mudhen

28" patterns well for me, but 26" isn't that far behind...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

cahaba

I like a 24" or 26". Never gave me any problems in the woods.

allaboutshooting

I always like 26" barrels. In my experience they are much easier to work with to get good patterns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gooserbat

My 26" barrels have always worked just fine.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

stinkpickle

My main gun has a 26" barrel with another 2" of choke on it.  That's about longest I'll ever have, though.  I like shorter barrels better.  My backup gun has a 20" barrel, and it's a LOT easier to maneuver in the thick stuff.  It doesn't pattern quite as well, but it's still pretty good.