OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What length barrel?

Started by MG150, March 19, 2014, 07:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross R

I have a SBE II left handed 28" and an Indian Creek choke.  It is like carrying around a 10ft pole in woods. I would love to try a 24" barrel but it will cost me $700+. 

tnturkey

personally I like a 26 or 28 inch barrel.

drum817

I have a 835 that has a 24" barrel and it shoots/patterns almost any load GREAT!  I also got a new Weatherby pa-459 with a 18.5" barrel (20" including the choke) and I have had ZERO problems getting it to pattern VERY well with Win long beard 3" 6's & 5's and Hevi-13 3"-2oz-#6's
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

bmhern

I used to love a 30" full choke barrel. That was until I bought a combo gun that came with a 30" @ 22" barrel. Once I put that short barrel on and used it a little I just couldn't make myself put the long barrel back on.

chatterbox

I have a 20" barrel on my 835, and it is a bit harder to get the numbers that guys with longer barrels get, but it is so much nicer to tote around in the woods.
I get right around 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with Hevi-13 3-2-7's.
Turkeys are no less dead.

TJK68

24" and 26" for me,  I used to shoot short barrled guns, now I like them a little longer.

MossRem

Earlier in the season when everything's more open and ranges are longer, a longer barrel with all its range and accuracy advantages is nice...but 28 inches is a pain in the tail in Georgia toward the end of the season. Everything's greener, ranges are shorter, and there's more brush.

turkeywhisperer935

I'll keep my 935 with 28 in barrel any day, it can be a pain to carry but the results iv'e had don't lie.

trackerbucky

I understand the handling issue, but how much does 8 inches of shotgun barrel really weigh?
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

alclark2

I have a 20" 835 and I love it. I shoot an Indian Creek and it's not a problem getting tight patterns. I shot the federal thug 6s but LB shot even tighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

KDF

I have an 870 SPS-T Youth Model in 12ga with a 20" barrel.  Using HW 3-2-7 and a .660 Jellyhead Max it has been in the low 200's at 40yds.  It's not going to set records on the patterning board, but it sure seems adequate and is very nimble with the short barrel and shorter LOP.

Fullfan

I have 2 Remington's with 21" pipes,  my Sure Shot Super Mag and X-2 both have 24".
I like the 21" better. All my guns put very good numbers on paper down range.
Don't gobble at me...

BandedSpur

28" on doubles and 26 on repeaters. No shorties for me.

Longshanks

Hunt with 21" 870, 24" Beretta Xtrema, 26" 870, 28" 870. The majority of the time I hunt with the 21" 870. Incredible patterns 280+ Hevi 13 3/2/7's and 214 Win LB 3"/6's. Easy to carry and maneuver on turkeys up close.  Second choice is the Beretta Xtrema 333 Hevi 13 3.5"/7's. Best pattern but quite a bit heavier. Hunting the mountains in MO and walking large tracts of land in IL, Indiana, Kentucky made me think twice about weight. Hunting in MS where I can just step out of the truck and be on gobbling turkeys in a couple of hundred yards I hunt with the heavier longer barrel guns. All about preference and where I'm hunting.

*Win LB's have made the short barrel guns much easier to set up.

the Ward

22" bps 12, 26" bps 10, 28" ben vinci, and 36"  single shot 12. It's all good!     :OGturkeyhead: