Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This is way to much fun. Spray paint camo.

Started by SpitNDrumN, March 18, 2014, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpitNDrumN

Snow had work  down the last two days so I spent about $20 bucks on different colors of matte finish spray paint and a can of matte finish clear coat.

Left is a 20ga I just bought, plain wood stock and black barrel and the wood stock was a little beat up and scratched and had a little bit of rust on the metal. I wanted it to resemble and old dark log or limb.

In the middle is my Remington 700 .243 I use for ground hogs and varmints. So I tried to make it resemble a brush type camo.

On the right is my Savage Model 10ML Muzzleloader and I deer hunt in laurel thickets and in my mountains where I live if you see laurel you normally see pines and bull pines mixed in with the hardwoods so I tried to make it resemble a Laurel Thicket.

COssman14

Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

Turkey fryin

I've thought of doin the same thing to a couple of my guns. Looks great!

JVA54

slamman

I did the same to some of my guns and they turned out great like yours, very simple to do.

SpitNDrumN

I mean I'm tickled to death. The only stencil I used was pine needles because I wanted to focus more on shades rather than shapes.

Here is before and after. Looks way better than black on black.

Gut Pile

Looks very good !!

What paint and colors did you use?

I was thinking if doing the same
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

SpitNDrumN

Well before I say what I did or used I'm more into shades instead of actual shapes. That's why the only stencil I used was real pine needle bunches. Break off a a lot of them for your stenciling. After a few hits of paint there is to much paint on your pine needle bunch and it smears.

I went to Walmart and purchased the camo matte finish paint. I forgot name brand I'll have to walk out to garage to see but it says camo on it and there is 5-6 different colors. And I bought one can of krylon matte finish clear coat to top it of and seal everything.

When I start I whipped gun down with mineral spirits to remove oil and grease to prep for paint. I didn't use a primer. The matte finish paint acts just like a primer.

After gun is prepped I paint the gun one solid color depending on what kind of camo I'm going after. For example to 243 I wanted the brush color so I went with tan as my base layer. I spray one coat on let it dry then another coat.

Then I start using my pine needle bunches and start feathering in my different colors, grey, tan, black, light green and brown.

I take one color and skip every 5-6 inches of the gun the take another color and do the same and so on and so on.

I get my shades the way I want them let it dry good them top it off with 2 coats of matte finish clear coat.

SpitNDrumN

I originally had plans to use stamps to make a tree bark pattern like mossy oak break but I could find material to make the stamps out of.

NC_10

Looks awesome. I did the same to a shotgun, used the krylon camo brand spray paint started with lightest color and went to darkest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Tommy Strutsalot

Looks sweet man.  I had to put a saddle mount on my gun to mount a red dot, and it's a b-square and it's made out of aluminum.  Does anybody know if I could paint it using the same technique or would the paint not take to aluminum?

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

SpitNDrumN

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on March 18, 2014, 08:49:37 PM
Looks sweet man.  I had to put a saddle mount on my gun to mount a red dot, and it's a b-square and it's made out of aluminum.  Does anybody know if I could paint it using the same technique or would the paint not take to aluminum?

It'll take

And that's fellers.