turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New 835 Shoots High

Started by eminart, March 10, 2014, 03:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eminart

I've done a little turkey hunting through the years, mostly with my dad, who is really into it. But, I'm planning to do more, and my dad surprised me with a new Mossberg 835 a few months ago. So, with turkey season coming up, I decided it was time to get it out and shoot some patterns.

So, I got to the range yesterday (which was PACKED with people) and started out at 25 yards with some 2 3/4" game loads just to see if the sights were close. They weren't. I shot twice, and both shots were probably 10" high. The crowd was so bad at this point, I decided to just go home. When I got home, I started looking at the sights, and I don't have any adjustment left to lower the rear sight. I did a little internet searching, and I see that this is apparently a common problem with the 835.

The front sight needs to be taller, or the rear needs to adjust lower.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Is there any DIY fix without buying new sights? I'm in a hurry.
2. How do the factory sights come off? They don't seem to have screws. Are they just crimped onto the rib?

Skeeterbait

Many shotguns shoot high.  It is common because wing shooters like to be able to keep the bead below a bird in order to not cover it up with the barrel.  However I also agree that Mossberg is not putting much into these sights they are using.  I really think you would be happier once you replace them with aftermarket sights such as Tru Glo Magnum Gobble Dot Pro Series or the new Tru Point Extreme or Williams fire sight or an optic.

The current sights are indeed just clamped onto the rib.  I was able to use a soft wood popsicle stick clipped off straight to push up along the clamp and work it off.

eminart

QuoteThe current sights are indeed just clamped onto the rib.  I was able to use a soft wood popsicle stick clipped off straight to push up along the clamp and work it off.

Great, thanks! I looked at them last night, but I was a little hesitant to start prying on them this close to the season with me not knowing if that's how they came off.

QuoteI also agree that Mossberg is not putting much into these sights they are using.  I really think you would be happier once you replace them with aftermarket sights such as Tru Glo Magnum Gobble Dot Pro Series or the new Tru Point Extreme or Williams fire sight or an optic.

Yeah, I didn't like the looks of the flimsy rear sight from the beginning. I think I will end up replacing them, but I don't know if I'll be able to do it before my first hunt.

Thanks again!

RAY

I'm just throwing this out there. But did the gun come with different size stock shims? And would adding these help with it shooting high at all?

reflexl

When I first got mine I inquired about the high POI. It was explained to me that the sights were like that on purpose so that out to 50 yards with a turkey load you could hold on the base of the neck and kill your bird. This was so your target was always in sight and not overed up by the front sight. I went out and drew a to scale turkey head and neck. With the lower neck hold it was perfect. Even close shots were right where they were supposed to be. It impacts much higher with the lighter loads which I think you have already learned. reflexl

eminart

QuoteIt was explained to me that the sights were like that on purpose so that out to 50 yards with a turkey load you could hold on the base of the neck and kill your bird. This was so your target was always in sight and not overed up by the front sight. I went out and drew a to scale turkey head and neck. With the lower neck hold it was perfect. Even close shots were right where they were supposed to be. It impacts much higher with the lighter loads

Really? I'm certainly no shotgun ballistics expert, but this seems very unlikely to me. Different loads are going to impact differently, but surely not to this extreme? And, I just can't see a "game load" shooting 10" high at 25 yards and that being by design. I was always taught to hold a couple of inches below the head, because that's where you want the center of your pattern to be.

Also, I did discover last night that the rear sight wasn't seated all the way down on one side. I don't think that will fix the entire problem, but maybe it will help.

mike3132

When it was new my 835 shot high. The sights are clamp fit on the rib. I took off the front sight and cut a piece of thin flexible refrigerator magnet to fit between the sight and rib which raised up the front sight and lowered the P.O.I.. Now my sights are dead on. Ive hunted with this gun now for several years and the sight has never came off.

eminart

QuoteWhen it was new my 835 shot high. The sights are clamp fit on the rib. I took off the front sight and cut a piece of thin flexible refrigerator magnet to fit between the sight and rib which raised up the front sight and lowered the P.O.I.. Now my sights are dead on. Ive hunted with this gun now for several years and the sight has never came off.

Funny, I was trying to think of a material to use for that same thing yesterday. Flexible magnet is a good idea. How thin is "thin"? I don't know how high I'll need to raise the front sight to drop the poi as much as I need. But, if the shim is too thick, it will have to be held down with screws because the front sight won't be able to clamp it to the rib.

eminart

Quote from: RAY on March 10, 2014, 06:15:10 PM
I'm just throwing this out there. But did the gun come with different size stock shims? And would adding these help with it shooting high at all?

No stock shims came with the gun. I think that only works with a bead and wing shooting anyway though. With rifle sights, lined up is lined up, as far as I know.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: eminart on March 11, 2014, 07:53:58 AM
QuoteIt was explained to me that the sights were like that on purpose so that out to 50 yards with a turkey load you could hold on the base of the neck and kill your bird. This was so your target was always in sight and not overed up by the front sight. I went out and drew a to scale turkey head and neck. With the lower neck hold it was perfect. Even close shots were right where they were supposed to be. It impacts much higher with the lighter loads

Really? I'm certainly no shotgun ballistics expert, but this seems very unlikely to me. Different loads are going to impact differently, but surely not to this extreme? And, I just can't see a "game load" shooting 10" high at 25 yards and that being by design. I was always taught to hold a couple of inches below the head, because that's where you want the center of your pattern to be.

Also, I did discover last night that the rear sight wasn't seated all the way down on one side. I don't think that will fix the entire problem, but maybe it will help.

Really, really.  My $1500 SBE II shot almost a foot high at 30 yards!  Emailed Benelli and their response was just that.  60/40 pattern and that they only guaranteed poi to poa within +/- 6" elevation and +/- 4" for windage.  That's with a gun costing almost FOUR TIMES what I paid for any one of my 7 835s.  A shim change, and yes, you can buy them for the 835, was all it took to bring poi back down and though I run it with a red dot sight for turkey, its dead nuts with just the rid for everything else.  I would recommend either pickng up a set of better, adjustable sights or mount a sight of some kind d as the 835 is already drilled n tapped...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

eminart

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 11, 2014, 12:45:39 PM
Really, really.  My $1500 SBE II shot almost a foot high at 30 yards!  Emailed Benelli and their response was just that.  60/40 pattern and that they only guaranteed poi to poa within +/- 6" elevation and +/- 4" for windage.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but just because it's all they'll guarantee doesn't mean it's what a shotgun is supposed to do. Why would it ever be desirable for a turkey gun to shoot a foot high?

A shim change, and yes, you can buy them for the 835, was all it took to bring poi back down and though I run it with a red dot sight for turkey, its dead nuts with just the rid for everything else. 

How do shims in the stock change the poi when using rifle sights? I'm open to explanations, but I just don't see how the laws of physics allow it.

I would recommend either pickng up a set of better, adjustable sights or mount a sight of some kind d as the 835 is already drilled n tapped...

I'm definitely going to put some better sights on it sooner or later. Even if I get the ones on it adjusted to shoot right, I don't like them. The rear sight looks like it's one snagged branch away from being bent at a 90 degree angle.

Mike Honcho

If you are in a rush and have to shoot with the sights you have you need to go back to range with a life sized turkey target, hand drawn will work, and shoot the loads you will be hunting with at a normal hunting range for you and determine your point of aim on the actual turkey.    I have one  turkey gun of several that I own  (Mossberg 20 ga bantam turkey) that shoots high.   We did this , determined the hold was about 8" low , so we aim a little below the waddles with this gun.  Only one grandson shoots it and he remembers this.   Ideally we would replace the sights but he's outgrown it and it will probably go away.  You can do this until you get the sights changed.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: eminart on March 11, 2014, 02:06:22 PM
Really, really.  My $1500 SBE II shot almost a foot high at 30 yards!  Emailed Benelli and their response was just that.  60/40 pattern and that they only guaranteed poi to poa within +/- 6" elevation and +/- 4" for windage.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but just because it's all they'll guarantee doesn't mean it's what a shotgun is supposed to do. Why would it ever be desirable for a turkey gun to shoot a foot high?

A shim change, and yes, you can buy them for the 835, was all it took to bring poi back down and though I run it with a red dot sight for turkey, its dead nuts with just the rid for everything else. 

How do shims in the stock change the poi when using rifle sights? I'm open to explanations, but I just don't see how the laws of physics allow it.

I would recommend either pickng up a set of better, adjustable sights or mount a sight of some kind d as the 835 is already drilled n tapped...

I'm definitely going to put some better sights on it sooner or later. Even if I get the ones on it adjusted to shoot right, I don't like them. The rear sight looks like it's one snagged branch away from being bent at a 90 degree angle.

Never said it was.  That's for wingsooting and for those that don't bother to use or like to use a sighting system of one sort or another.

Again.  for use with the vent rib and bead(s) this WILL lower your poi.  The non-adjustable "sights" you have on the gun now are about useless if it's shooting that high and you have no way to adjust wouldn't you say?

A $30.00 set of replacement sights that CLAMP, not glue or stick on the vent rib is what you'll want to look for.  I have purchased many a shotgun with those lousy stick on "sights" on them and they are the very FIRST thing I replace before I even bother to fire a single shot.  They are pure garbage and imo, only put on as an after thought by the company.
Good luck getting that gun shooting!   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

reflexl

Yep really. Original sights still in place. And also yes light loads have always shot much higher in the gun. reflexl

mike3132

Quote from: eminart on March 11, 2014, 10:02:18 AM
QuoteWhen it was new my 835 shot high. The sights are clamp fit on the rib. I took off the front sight and cut a piece of thin flexible refrigerator magnet to fit between the sight and rib which raised up the front sight and lowered the P.O.I.. Now my sights are dead on. Ive hunted with this gun now for several years and the sight has never came off.

Funny, I was trying to think of a material to use for that same thing yesterday. Flexible magnet is a good idea. How thin is "thin"? I don't know how high I'll need to raise the front sight to drop the poi as much as I need. But, if the shim is too thick, it will have to be held down with screws because the front sight won't be able to clamp it to the rib.
I think the magnet was .075 thick. Didnt effect the clamp of the front sight and its held in place for several years. My gun is a 835 Grand Slam.