OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 835 Shoots High

Started by eminart, March 10, 2014, 03:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYStalker

Truglo magnum gobble dot pro series fixed mine.  The front sight sits higher, plus the rear sight is fully adjustable for elevation.  I've got an 835 that shot high, but now shoots dead on.  I never want a gun that I have to consciously adjust my aim so it will shoot where I need it to, because in the heat of the moment it's easy to forget.  I need a gun to shoot exactly where I'm aiming so it takes all the guesswork out.  Also, I found a fiber optic rear ghost ring that I paired with the front sight from a Truglo Magnum Gobble Dot Pro Series set.  Put them on my 935 and I absolutely love it.
If you're not first, your last!!

eminart

Thanks for the all the replies, guys. I made a shim and put it under the front sight. I managed to get back out to the range and shoot yesterday. It's a fix that works for now. It looks like I'm not going to hunt the first weekend, so I may have time to get some better sights on it before I take it to the woods.

And, on a related note, I tried 4 different loads, and all of them will kill a turkey dead at 50 yards. So, we're good there, at least.

chadabear

I have fixed at least half a doz new Mossberg 835s with the same problem. You HAVE to loosen the rear sight and slide it back down the rail. As the rail gets closer to the stock, it drops. This puts the rear sight lower causing you to move the front of the bbl down and drop the shot. Seriously have done this and helped the last 4-5 people that bought the same gun. The shimon the front sight is basically doing the same, but eliminating a fail factor such as a shim, and keeping the sight bolted directly to the rib, WILL fix the problem. Slide it back an inch or so till it slides down and lock it in...
1 Samuel 12:24
But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.

mightyjoeyoung

His sights are the stick on type, non-adjustable version. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

eminart

QuoteI have fixed at least half a doz new Mossberg 835s with the same problem. You HAVE to loosen the rear sight and slide it back down the rail. As the rail gets closer to the stock, it drops. This puts the rear sight lower causing you to move the front of the bbl down and drop the shot. Seriously have done this and helped the last 4-5 people that bought the same gun. The shimon the front sight is basically doing the same, but eliminating a fail factor such as a shim, and keeping the sight bolted directly to the rib, WILL fix the problem. Slide it back an inch or so till it slides down and lock it in...

I wondered if that would make any difference. There's some room to move the rear sight back, but I didn't really think that would lower it any. Apparently I should have tried it.

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 12, 2014, 04:21:16 PM
His sights are the stick on type, non-adjustable version.

The rear sight has an adjustment screw, but it was as low as it would go already.

goblr77

Had the exact same problem with my 835. POI was 12" high @ 40 yards. Fixed it with a dnz mount and a Simmons Prodiamond 4x scope.

eminart

I went ahead and ordered a Williams Fire Sight. It should be here monday. I'm not going to be able to hunt this weekend anyway, so no big deal.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Just be glad that it shoots high, and not low, or off to one side.  If it shoots less than a foot high, just aim at the waddles.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 14, 2014, 10:26:27 AM
Just be glad that it shoots high, and not low, or off to one side.  If it shoots less than a foot high, just aim at the waddles.

^^^^X2^^^^ Aim for the waddles 20 yds and in, Aim for the base of the neck 25 - 40. IMO 60%-70% of your pattern needs to be above your line of sight so you can see what you are shooting at. That is my preference anyways.