OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best time to start calling in the mornings.

Started by ahollifield, March 05, 2014, 12:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRules

I am assessing if he has hens, if so which is the boss hen, what calls and pitch is she making.  If he is alone how fired up is he.  Depending on the situation determines what I do.  I call more if I can tell he is alone and ready. 

If I call to him in the tree I start with a light yelp (two notes) after he gobbles.

El Pavo Grande

Same here.  It depends, but at the most a couple very soft tree yelps.  Otherwise I wait until I hear him fly down or know he is on the ground.

darn2ten

If he is alone, I will usually do a few soft tree yelps, then maybe a fly down cackle with a few wing beats. That only if he is alone. If he's with hens then I usually don't call till he's on the ground. I may have to make a few moves to get in front of them and try to call the whole flock in.

tnturkey

it just depends. but I never call until I hear one it just depends on how fired up he is. but I usually only give a few tree yelps but on some birds I don't call til he is on the ground. it Is a hunt by hunt thing. but more often then not I give a few tree yelps.

CASH

I like to get out early and start calling to him at 0200. That's 2 am for you non military types. I believe that giving him some seductive yelps and a few loud cutts invades his dreams of those soft feathered thighs, and he subliminally thinks he's awake and hearing that hen dirty talk him.

When he wakes up I hit him with a few "my Johnson is bigger than yours" Jake yelps and he gets so angry he flies down into my lap. Of course sometimes that doesn't work and he flies the other way if he has smalljohnsonitus
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Over calling on the roost saves a lot of turkeys lives each year.

If i have solid position on the bird, i will give one tree yelp or flydown cackle at flydown time. If he pitches my way, i might purr once and scratch in the leaves but that's it.  If he flies down away from me, he has just simply told me where I need to be to kill him and Ill reposition ahead of him using a crow call.

If I cannot get the position I want on the bird while he is on the roost, Ill let him flydown and then work to get in tight on him.

Most of my birds die to 3 calls or less.

You should be thinking about every thing you do while turkey hunting and evaluating the gobbler's movements and  gobbling in relation to your actions. Your mind should never stop evaluating the situation until you're throwing over your shoulder and even then you should be reviewing the hunt to identify everything that went right and what went wrong.

Turkey Trot

Quote from: CASH on March 06, 2014, 05:15:28 AM
I like to get out early and start calling to him at 0200. That's 2 am for you non military types. I believe that giving him some seductive yelps and a few loud cutts invades his dreams of those soft feathered thighs, and he subliminally thinks he's awake and hearing that hen dirty talk him.

When he wakes up I hit him with a few "my Johnson is bigger than yours" Jake yelps and he gets so angry he flies down into my lap. Of course sometimes that doesn't work and he flies the other way if he has smalljohnsonitus

I believe that we may have crossed paths and I heard you in the woods a few times.  ;D ;D
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

fsu33952

I have went to places to where I new a gobbler should be gobbling and not heard anything. Wait for good light when you know he should be on the ground  and call lost. Real low to begin with. Next thing you know you hear a loud racket with a thump and there he is right in front of you. I ran into two last year that would fly from his roost, tree to tree to his hens and then get down with them and start walking and gobbling. I have had them fly from a long way off late in the morning a bunch of times. Seems like it is getting more frequent over the past few years. I wonder if predators could be causing them to do that.

bamagtrdude

Dang it, CASH; you're ruining my evening with your posts!!!!  ;)  hahahaha...  I like to do exactly this, as well, btw.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

CASH

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 06, 2014, 07:45:10 PM

Dang it, CASH; you're ruining my evening with your posts!!!!  ;)  hahahaha...  I like to do exactly this, as well, btw.
Quote from: Turkey Trot on March 06, 2014, 05:55:50 PM

I believe that we may have crossed paths and I heard you in the woods a few times.  ;D ;D

:TooFunny: Come on turkey season!
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Limbstrutter

First off I like to just set back and let him gobble his head off  . But I'll through out a few light tree calls and shutup. If he he answers he knows your there. Just take his temperature.
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

cahaba

I usually don't call to him while he's on the limb. I like to let him fly down and then I give him a little time before either calling or moving to a better setup. Sometimes if he flys away from my setup I will try to get as quickly as possible to where he was roosted and call from there.  I also will take a wing and rub it against a tree while he's still roosted. Any thing out of the norm due to the heavy pressure birds get might just work.

alclark2

As a newbie, I'm learning that less if often more. Sometimes I'll give him one call to let them know where I'm at. Other times, they can gobble and let me move in on them and tell me where they are going.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

hoyt

Depends on which gobbler you're calling to. Got one behind the house that I've tried every scenario I know of and he still sits up there and gobbles his head off until either a hen or hens come to him or he decides to gobble from the ground for a while. Always from a farther distance than when he was in the tree.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: CASH on March 06, 2014, 09:36:10 PM
:TooFunny: Come on turkey season!

No doubt; I'm ready to give some big ole TOMS *BIG*johnsonitis with my calling!  ;)
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)