Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best time to start calling in the mornings.

Started by ahollifield, March 05, 2014, 12:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

Quote from: CASH on March 06, 2014, 05:15:28 AM
I like to get out early and start calling to him at 0200. That's 2 am for you non military types. I believe that giving him some seductive yelps and a few loud cutts invades his dreams of those soft feathered thighs, and he subliminally thinks he's awake and hearing that hen dirty talk him.

When he wakes up I hit him with a few "my Johnson is bigger than yours" Jake yelps and he gets so angry he flies down into my lap. Of course sometimes that doesn't work and he flies the other way if he has smalljohnsonitus

man I got this old crazy neighbor every year at some point he will tell me he heard turkeys middle of the night I have been warning everyone to stay clear of the old geezer but geesh now im thinkin what do you drive...?

MuddyRiver

If I hear no hens, I'll call to him on the roost.  If he answers, I shut up.  I've let him know where I am and at this point it is a waiting game.   There's a 50/50 chance he'll fly down on my side of the tree even with out calling.  But letting him know I am there tilts the odds slightly in my favor. 

I have had birds fly out of the tree, sail and land a few yards in front of me.  If I hadn't called to him I don't think that would have happened.   

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: CASH on March 06, 2014, 05:15:28 AM
I like to get out early and start calling to him at 0200. That's 2 am for you non military types. I believe that giving him some seductive yelps and a few loud cutts invades his dreams of those soft feathered thighs, and he subliminally thinks he's awake and hearing that hen dirty talk him.

When he wakes up I hit him with a few "my Johnson is bigger than yours" Jake yelps and he gets so angry he flies down into my lap. Of course sometimes that doesn't work and he flies the other way if he has smalljohnsonitus

:TooFunny:  :TooFunny: Funny stuff right there!
Here's the tree call I use.......
Yelp yelp yelp = I luv U
Yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp = I luv U long time!

On a serious note. As the season progresses and Birds have bin somewhat harassed. I will say nothing,until they hit the ground and circle around in the direction there going if need be.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Bigspurs68

There's no carved in stone answer for that question. Too many individual situations.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

lonnie sneed jr.

Gobbling or not I will do no more than a few soft clucks when I know there still in a tree, if I even do that. I do not like to call while they are still in a tree. I will wait until I know they are down. Soft yelp, and see what he does, and thin take it from there. If I can see the gobbler on the limb when he comes off I will do a quick short fly down.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

CT Spur Collector

Maybe a few tree yelps & putts. I never call much till they hit the ground.

jblackburn

other than a tree yelp (and I don't do that often) I always try and wait until after the crows start calling.  Not sure why, but what I usually do.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.