OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best time to start calling in the mornings.

Started by ahollifield, March 05, 2014, 12:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahollifield

Just looking for a little more incite before the 2014 season, what's your preference.

Turkeyman62

When I know the turkeys pitched out of the roost. And are on the ground  :gobble:
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

Hognutz

I give them a few soft yelps before they pitch down. This lets them know where I'm at. And maybe, and I do mean maybe, sway their route when they fly down.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

matchbook454

Quote from: Hognutz on March 05, 2014, 12:33:40 PM
I give them a few soft yelps before they pitch down. This lets them know where I'm at. And maybe, and I do mean maybe, sway their route when they fly down.

I'll second that.

RemingtonRules

The most honest answer I can give is it depends.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: matchbook454 on March 05, 2014, 12:55:33 PM

I'll second that.

3rd.... and maybe a little fly down cackel
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

HunterMan

Same here, just in case he hasn't decided where he wants to go when he hits the ground.

stinkpickle

I usually give a few tree yelps, because I just can't help myself.  :)

redleg06

If you're set up on a gobbling turkey, usually when his feet hit the ground and you're in a spot you feel pretty confident you can call him in to. I wouldnt usually engage one until I felt pretty good about my set up. 

Example,  If I had a creek between the turkey and myself, I'd try to get on the same side of the creek as him before I made a sound and gave away my position.

chatterbox

No calls till I'm pretty sure they are on the ground.
I have learned to leave them alone in the tree.

ferocious calls

I really like to fire him up the evening before. If he gobbles at everything thrown at him it's a good chance that he will come that way in the AM unless hens are with and drag him the other way. In the AM after he sounds off several times before flydown time then does that double gobble many do just before they pitch down I will tree yelp to him ever so softly then do a flydown flap and wait till I can assess his mood. If he is really fired up many times I will just wait on his direction of travel and if coming maybe purr and cluck just a bit or just scratch a bit. Really depends on the Tom's disposition. I love to call but, many times less is more for older toms'.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 05, 2014, 01:01:49 PM

I'll second that.

:agreed:
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

tomstopper

Quote from: chatterbox on March 05, 2014, 05:09:16 PM
^^^This. I just try to know the area and the birds. Then just like to hunt/call them when they are out of the tree....

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on March 05, 2014, 05:26:04 PM
Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 05, 2014, 01:01:49 PM

I'll second that.

:agreed:
I will fifth that LOL
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

highwaygun

Quote from: chatterbox on March 05, 2014, 05:09:16 PM
im with you