only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard Question for Clark Bush

Started by klemsontigers7, February 21, 2014, 09:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archery1

Take a kid hunting

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Since the #5 loads are putting up better numbers than people are used to getting with #6's, I'd encourage people to step up to the #5's.  Just shoot the #5's and be done with it.  Whether they be #5, #5.5, or #6 size pellets, or even a blend of the above sizes, they will be awesome.

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

300Mag

I counted a 3.5 number six today after I saw the little holes in my target and came up with 496 pellets. So that is in line with what clark posted.

klemsontigers7

Quote from: 300Mag on February 23, 2014, 08:41:45 PM
I counted a 3.5 number six today after I saw the little holes in my target and came up with 496 pellets. So that is in line with what clark posted.

What was the total weight of all the shot?

lr308

After reading this thread I went and counted the LB patterns I shot Fri. I shot at 3x4 sheet of plastic table cloth, same thing I pattern my waterfowl loads on.The 3 1/2" #5, I counted 313, 312 total hits on the paper.The 3"6's I counted 394 and 362.The shot chart I use has #5 listed at 340 in 2oz.and 394 in 1 3/4 of #6.

300Mag

klemsontigers7

Just curious if you actually weighed it. Did you trust that it was 2 oz but not trust that it was #6?

highwaygun

regardless of what they are doing on the patterning boards in it pretty much obvious that Winchester is having qualities control issue with there lead supplier. we have seen results just in this post of counts that would show the #6's loaded with #5,#6,#7, and blends of them all. maybe someone should email them and ask them whats going on.

knightrider

the patterns im getting its going to smoke a gobblers noggin :z-guntootsmiley: that's really all that matters to me :TooFunny:

Longshanks

Quote from: knightrider on February 24, 2014, 10:29:54 AM
the patterns im getting its going to smoke a gobblers noggin :z-guntootsmiley: that's really all that matters to me :TooFunny:

That's where I am with it. I have 3" and 3.5" 6's. If they pattern like they are supposed at 40yds that's all I care about. The issue of long range shooting is an issue that is addressed at all of the farms and leases I hunt on. We addressed this issue with HTL and will address it with these LB shells. The majority of turkey hunters are hunting in leases, hunting camps, or at some level in groups of hunters. When I am guiding I take it as my responsibility to educate folks on what is ethical and the importance of shooting inside 40yds. As turkey hunters it is our responsibility to do whatever we can to educate other turkey hunters and not leave it up to Winchester or Environmental Metals. They are just trying to sell shells in a competitive market.

huntindawg

Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 22, 2014, 11:45:29 AM
Quote from: highwaygun on February 22, 2014, 11:08:35 AM
And to your broadhead statement which one of those broadhead would get better penetration on a trophy buck shoulder?

Considering the weight difference of TSS 9 and lead 4 is threefold and their down range velocities are all but equal (within 8 fps), you would have to compare a 900 grain arrow with a 2" cut to a 300 grain arrow with a 3/4" cut (and assume velocities are the same)   Obviously I would take the 900 grain 2" cut.

#1: The actual weight difference is closer to 2.6x for the lead 4 to the TSS 9
#2: You can't just discount the density of the projectile because you don't understand the math behind how much "harder" a more dense projectile will hit (TSS) than a less dense (lead).

Would you still want to shoot that 900 grain arrow if you knew the 2" broadhead was going to become deformed instantly upon impact, losing that momentum and not pushing the energy through the animal?  Would you rather get hit w/ a 1 pound, 10" water ballon or a softball (weighs roughly 6.25 oz) at 10 yards assuming they're both going 60 mph? 

Even more importantly, would you rather get hit w/ 5 of those same water balloons or 50 of those softballs?

davisd9

Quote from: Longshanks on February 24, 2014, 11:09:55 AM
Quote from: knightrider on February 24, 2014, 10:29:54 AM

That's where I am with it. I have 3" and 3.5" 6's. If they pattern like they are supposed at 40yds that's all I care about. The issue of long range shooting is an issue that is addressed at all of the farms and leases I hunt on. We addressed this issue with HTL and will address it with these LB shells. The majority of turkey hunters are hunting in leases, hunting camps, or at some level in groups of hunters. When I am guiding I take it as my responsibility to educate folks on what is ethical and the importance of shooting inside 40yds. As turkey hunters it is our responsibility to do whatever we can to educate other turkey hunters and not leave it up to Winchester or Environmental Metals. They are just trying to sell shells in a competitive market.

Great post!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

klemsontigers7

Quote from: huntindawg on February 24, 2014, 11:55:18 AM
Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 22, 2014, 11:45:29 AM
Quote from: highwaygun on February 22, 2014, 11:08:35 AM
And to your broadhead statement which one of those broadhead would get better penetration on a trophy buck shoulder?

Considering the weight difference of TSS 9 and lead 4 is threefold and their down range velocities are all but equal (within 8 fps), you would have to compare a 900 grain arrow with a 2" cut to a 300 grain arrow with a 3/4" cut (and assume velocities are the same)   Obviously I would take the 900 grain 2" cut.

#1: The actual weight difference is closer to 2.6x for the lead 4 to the TSS 9
#2: You can't just discount the density of the projectile because you don't understand the math behind how much "harder" a more dense projectile will hit (TSS) than a less dense (lead).

Would you still want to shoot that 900 grain arrow if you knew the 2" broadhead was going to become deformed instantly upon impact, losing that momentum and not pushing the energy through the animal?  Would you rather get hit w/ a 1 pound, 10" water ballon or a softball (weighs roughly 6.25 oz) at 10 yards assuming they're both going 60 mph? 

Even more importantly, would you rather get hit w/ 5 of those same water balloons or 50 of those softballs?

I do understand the math behind it.  I do know that a more dense pellet will have less drag and retain better velocity.  Also, its smaller size will allow it to penetrate ballistics gelatin better, none of that was ever discounted by me.