OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do you consider the "ultimate" turkey gun?

Started by olejake, February 20, 2014, 11:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olejake

I am currently shooting my Browning Light 12 that  my Dad gave  to me in 1974..killed many a buck and turkey with it...not ever had one complaint against it..the ONLY reason I am considering a new turkey gun is the fact that I would like a gun that I don't need to tape every season in order to camo it..so, that being said..if you were gonna buy a new turkey-taker..what would it be?

WildSpur

I am a pump guy so for me it's 870 supermag with the shurshot stock.  Or even the 870 turkey/predator combo if you want an optic on top.  I really like that shurshot stock.   It aims great and helps with recoil management.   The stock surprisingly carries well too.  The 870 action goes without saying. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

WildTigerTrout

I am not in the market for a turkey gun. If I were I would seriously consider buying a Benelli Super Black Eagle II with full camo and 24" barrel.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Ridge Rooster

I am with WildTigerTrout, but I would add a Steady Grip Stock, maybe a FF3, and the Rhino/Nitro combo! JMO.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Skeeterbait

There is no "ultimate" turkey gun.  SBE's and SX3's are fine, well made shotguns.  None of them will pattern like a 935.  But the 935 does not have the fit and finish of the higher price guns. Pumps cost less than autos, but they have drawbacks that they tend to have forearm rattle, longer reach to the forearm etc.  Every gun out there has tradeoffs.  You have to decide what is important to you.

For me personally terminal pattern performance is top.  That is why I have shot 835's for years and am currently building my first 935.

eddie234

Have you considered just getting it camo dipped?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

huntindawg

I'm w/ Skeeterbait, if all the turkey guns in the world were lined up and I had to blindly choose one to throw a good pattern, I'd grab a 935 every time.

762hunter

Please explain why the 935 patterns better than anything else?

Is this just an opinion?

bigbird

I'd buy the winchester sx3 turkey, it comes in mossy oak break up infinity it's light,short and dependable!

Skeeterbait

Quote from: 762hunter on February 20, 2014, 03:23:32 PM
Please explain why the 935 patterns better than anything else?

Is this just an opinion?

No it is more than an opinion.  Countless patterns we have seen posted here over the years of many different guns, loads, and chokes, the 835/935 consistently posts higher shot counts.  The 835 and 935 have basically the same barrel.  Their barrels are unlike any in any other 12 gauges.  There was at one time a single shot also made by Mossberg called the SSI-ONE that also had this unique barrel.  Basically the barrel is bored out to 10 gauge bore.  The bore of these guns is .775 where the average 12 gauge is around .729.  European guns like the Benelli are even tighter. Any time a shotgun has a bore smaller than the shell itself requires a choke ahead of the shell called the forcing cone.  This forcing cone tends to be abrupt and compresses and deforms shot.  Basically the forcing cone is removed from a 835/935 because the bore is so large.  In addition, a small bore requires the shot to string out in the barrel since the area is narrower.  An 835/935 leaves more room for the shot to exit the gun in a shorter string.  These things combine to produce less pressure on shot, less deformed shot, less fliers, and more shot in a smaller area downrange.

Gamblinman

I sure like my Remington 870 Max Gobblers. Built on the Wingmaster frame and with the recoil reducing stock, it's a sweet shooter for a light gun.

Sorry to say that my SP-10 has taken a second seat to these, but I still like the overall firepower with a 10 gauge.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

drum817

Like some of the others already said... "ultimate" is in the eye of the user.  I have hunted with 24" barrel's & 3.5" chambered guns for a long time.  I use to view that as my ultimate....now that I spend more time per day in the woods hunting and I hike further distances I switched to a Weatherby PA-459 Digital TR.  It is a bit lighter in weight (18.5" barrel 3" chamber & factory ghost ring fiber optic sights) & it serves MY needs and style of hunting VERY well.  It is my personal ultimate turkey gun....but it I'm sure it's not for everyone.  Best of luck in finding what works for YOU!  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

allisonboatsms

I love my 1187 super mag.. It kills them dead.. All that matters in the long run.

Greenshed Longbeard

Myself I'd look for dependability and longevity try some of your friends or go to a gun club and ask to try someone's if they will let you. Most turkey hunters will hold some techniques to themselves but all of them are proud of a finely tuned up turkey gun no matter who the owner is and most love to help. 
Greenshed Longbeard

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka