Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do you consider the "ultimate" turkey gun?

Started by olejake, February 20, 2014, 11:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnturkey

knightrider

if I had to choose one to last me the rest of my days and turkey hunt with it would be the 835. tough as nails, and will shoot almost anything good  :funnyturkey:

chatterbox

Personally, my vote goes to the 935 for an auto, and 835 for a pump.
You would be hard pressed to find better patterning shotguns anywhere. However, the best turkey gun is the one that fits you the best, and the one that gives you the most confidence when you draw down on that gobbler. 

turkey_slayer

Quote from: 762hunter on February 20, 2014, 03:23:32 PM
Please explain why the 935 patterns better than anything else?

Is this just an opinion?

It's backbored to 10 ga .775. Does it throw the tightest? It can. Brownings are overbored to but at .743. I've seen them post up the bigger numbers. Believe they hold the records in the still target to

30_06

I would go with a Ithaca 37 Turkeyslayer 12ga or 20ga with their recoil reducing stock dipped in ASAT camo. Pretty sure that's my ultimate.

Redfish

I really like my Browning Silver NWTF. Not saying it's the ultimate but it's by far the best I have owned.
John 3:16

TauntoHawk

SBII is pretty slick and pricy the sx3 and stoger 3500 are pretty nice options. I'm pleased with my 870 but I'd love to own one the ones I mentioned above
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

tomstopper

My favorites are my Winchester 1300, Stoeger 3500, and my 870.... Basically it's what ever you feel comfortable with and can throw some great patterns.... Good luck in your searches

pabirdsmasher

Mossberg 535 Turkey Thug Rhino/Nitro combo....  :z-guntootsmiley:

olejake

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 20, 2014, 04:06:10 PM
Quote from: 762hunter on February 20, 2014, 03:23:32 PM
Please explain why the 935 patterns better than anything else?

Is this just an opinion?

No it is more than an opinion.  Countless patterns we have seen posted here over the years of many different guns, loads, and chokes, the 835/935 consistently posts higher shot counts.  The 835 and 935 have basically the same barrel.  Their barrels are unlike any in any other 12 gauges.  There was at one time a single shot also made by Mossberg called the SSI-ONE that also had this unique barrel.  Basically the barrel is bored out to 10 gauge bore.  The bore of these guns is .775 where the average 12 gauge is around .729.  European guns like the Benelli are even tighter. Any time a shotgun has a bore smaller than the shell itself requires a choke ahead of the shell called the forcing cone.  This forcing cone tends to be abrupt and compresses and deforms shot.  Basically the forcing cone is removed from a 835/935 because the bore is so large.  In addition, a small bore requires the shot to string out in the barrel since the area is narrower.  An 835/935 leaves more room for the shot to exit the gun in a shorter string.  These things combine to produce less pressure on shot, less deformed shot, less fliers, and more shot in a smaller area downrange.
What length  barrel is best??

Skeeterbait

I have shot 24" 835's for many years now with excellent results and got great patterns with several different chokes, finally settling on a .675 Indian Creek.  The 24" is easy to find a good shell choke combination for but is still short enough to not feel like you are swinging a section of conduit around in the woods.  I am currently building a 935 pistol grip turkey that came with a 22" barrel.  I have not shot it yet so I can't speak to that barrel length yet.

olejake

Quote from: chatterbox on February 20, 2014, 08:11:51 PM
Personally, my vote goes to the 935 for an auto, and 835 for a pump.
You would be hard pressed to find better patterning shotguns anywhere. However, the best turkey gun is the one that fits you the best, and the one that gives you the most confidence when you draw down on that gobbler.
[/quote
935 gets my vote for my newest addition based on the support here..on the Mossberg website and there is a Magnum turkey and a Magnum Grandslam listed...does it matter here as long as it is a 935?

Skeeterbait