OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeards 3.5 6s rem 870

Started by slave601, February 13, 2014, 03:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

Shot the Longbeards 3.5 6s out of my 26" 870 with a .655 ventilator. Got 262 in the 10 at 40yds. Shot the .660 jellyhead next. Got 241 the next shot after I run a bore snake through it. Not bad at all I think
"thinnin the flock"

Hooksnhorns

Ha, yup that'll smoke him!!!  I wish I had a .660 to try these 5s thru.
Don't Tread On Me

ILIKEHEVI-13

See and the $24 Ventilator beat the $40 Jelly Head.  I had no doubt it would. 

Longshanks

Awesome patterns!! Just found a box of 3.5 LB 6's. Gonna shoot them out of an identical set up. 870SM/ ventilator .655. This gun will turn 160-170 with XX 3/2/6's. The POA/POI is on with the 3" shells. You have any problems with the 3.5 shells POA/POI?

drum817

Those are great numbers....congrats!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

surehuntsalot

sounds like some awesome patterns,good luck with them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

slave601

I jus ordered a box of nitros. Today I went by gander mt and They had the Longbeards. So I said what the heck I'll try a box. They really suprised me. They actually patterent better than hevi 6s outta my gun even with the jellyhead .660
"thinnin the flock"

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have been told that the Long Beard 6's have a lot of actual #7 size shot in them. 

SumToy

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 13, 2014, 10:24:50 PM
I have been told that the Long Beard 6's have a lot of actual #7 size shot in them.

I have seen some odd stuff in patterns.  I think it may be some of the resin that is making some of the crazy holes. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SumToy on February 13, 2014, 10:34:10 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 13, 2014, 10:24:50 PM

I have seen some odd stuff in patterns.  I think it may be some of the resin that is making some of the crazy holes.

Well I guess it's possible.  But I can't see truly lead 6's shooting the patterns like have been posted as of late with this stuff.  The 7 shot would explain such dense patterns. 

owlhoot

That could be the answer with a higher pellet count than 2 oz. of lead 6 should have.
With up to 70 more in the pattern paper reported here already.
Would make the 10" count better too?

ILIKEHEVI-13

But what we need is for some guys to shoot these Long Beard at 40yds with some big about 35" to say 40" sheets of cardboard so we could get a tue pellet count for ovearll shot in the load and then figure it up from there.

Gobble!

Surprised no one has cut one open yet if there's a question about shot size. I keep thinking these numbers seem to good to be true. Maybe Winchester took a page from Nitros book and they are loading these shells with smaller shot than advertised.

SumToy

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 13, 2014, 10:45:10 PM
But what we need is for some guys to shoot these Long Beard at 40yds with some big about 35" to say 40" sheets of cardboard so we could get a tue pellet count for ovearll shot in the load and then figure it up from there.

We have shot big paper and don't think that we have lost much in the shot.  Now I will say I have shot at what turned out to be 41 yards but all our patterns have been in the 240 range.  5 makes of guns doing this.  Now I don't count a hole unless I know it is a shot.  I have always been hard on my own targets I take from them not give.   I feel we can get 250 maybe 260 on good day looking at the patterns I have seen. 

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SumToy

Quote from: Gobble! on February 13, 2014, 10:53:11 PM
Surprised no one has cut one open yet if there's a question about shot size. I keep thinking these numbers seem to good to be true. Maybe Winchester took a page from Nitros book and they are loading these shells with smaller shot than advertised.

I did the 4's they checked out.  I did find that the number of shot was lower then what should be in them going off a normal chart.  I think we are seeing some of the resin hitting targets especially on targets that are on the short side.