OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835 choke

Started by Bama turkey hunter, February 10, 2014, 08:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama turkey hunter

Tony

ILIKEHEVI-13

Your welcome.

I have shot a Indian Creek .675BDS, Pure Gold .670, TruGlo SSX .670, Jelly Head .690.  All are very good chokes with these loads.  But they won't out shoot the Star Dot with my good stuff of 300325 lot #.  I'll show you the best I have done with this choke and load.  I also have done a 360 as well that I can show you it as well. 

Now I have the TruGlo Bone Collector .670 choke.  But I have yet to test it.  I also have the Hevi-Shot .676 choke.  But haven't tested it either.  But I am running low on these shells with this lot #.  And the last thing I want to do is waste them patterning with one of these chokes to see if they can beat the Star Dot consistently with these loads.  Like I said earlier, none of the chokes I have tested will keep up in normal temps shooting these loads. 

The last Pure Gold .670 choke I had did 357 shot in the 10" on the very first shot through the tube.  But the problem is on all the other shots it didn't come close to that number again with these shells.  Didn't even break 300 again.  But it still shot a very good even pattern.  Like I said all of these chokes will do well.  The Indian Creek and TruGlo SSX .670 will do right at 300 in the 10" at 40yds consistently with the good stuff I have. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And this is what I am talking about for consistency on 70 degree temp days.  This was shot on another day one year with this same lot 300325 3.5" #7 load.  It's one thing to post a great pattern on here once.  But from what my experience has taught me is this question.  Will the choke repeat that great pattern?  Some of the times the answer will be no.  Such in the case was the Pure Gold .670 choke that I had and sold.  I now have another that I need to try that I won off of here in the bingo.  And I will say that Pure Gold is one hell of a choke.  but when a choke shoots 357 shot on the very first shot and then never duplicates or comes close to that again there is something going on there. 

I'll see if I can find that Pure Gold pattern. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here ya go.  Pure Gold .670 pattern

This is still the most inside the 20" circle I have ever put with this load.  And the Pure Gold .670 does do around 540 to 550 for an avg inside the 20" with these loads.  But the Star Dot will eat it up and spit it out for higher consistent 10" numbers with these loads and still give around 540 to 550 inside the 20". 

Philippe

I think someone has confused 40 steps for 40yds again :funnyturkey:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Philippe on February 11, 2014, 09:25:06 PM

Nope!  Those were tape measured by me at exactly 120ft from tip of choke to cardboard. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And while I am posting here, I will explain another thing that people often ask.  And I'll use the Pure Gold choke pattern with the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's below as an example since that is almost an exact duplicate of how my Star Dot choke would shoot with the 3" Hevi-13 vs the 3.5" 2.25oz load of 7's which is only and yes I know hard to believe with the results I am about to show you...only 1/4oz more shot like the patterns I posted above with the Star Dot.  Now the question is how much better or why should I shoot the Hevi-13 3.5" loads vs the Hevi-13 3" loads in #7's?  And with the Star Dot choke I will simply say it's nite and day difference.  Now your mileage may vary.  But I have done this test over and over again on different days to see if the outcome was about the same.  And the answer is yes.

Bama turkey hunter

Star dot is the way to go with 835 for sure :drool:
Tony

ILIKEHEVI-13

Another example with the Star Dot and the Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's at a tape measured 40yds which is 120ft by the way and I pulled the tape as tight as I can.  I always staple my front end of the tape(metal loop) to my shooting table and then pull the tape as tight as I can until I get to 120ft.  Then I put my choke even with where I stapled the metal loop on to my table when I shoot. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Bama turkey hunter on February 11, 2014, 09:44:04 PM
Star dot is the way to go with 835 for sure :drool:

No doubt.  Those that try and say different shooting these loads I would put my money where my mouth is that the Star Dot would consistently beat the other chokes on the market with these loads.  And I'm talking shot after shot consistency for a total 10" avg.   

Now I will be honest with you.  I doubt the new Hevi-13 loads will shoot like this 300325 old lot I have.  But I will show you another pattern what I would call a typical pattern shooting a mediocre lot # of these same shells at a taped 40yds.  And another thing I want to point out is with those other chokes mentioned above I used some of the 300325 lot shells and they never would come close to the Star Dot with the exception of that one shell from the Pure Gold. 

Ok here's a typical pattern from the Star Dot choke shooting what I call just a mediocre load of these shells.  This is still a great pattern.

ILIKEHEVI-13

And that's right down central and shows you that the TruGlo Open Dot sight will shoot exactly to the point of aim.   :drool:

Bama turkey hunter

That choke makes bad lots look good
Tony

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Bama turkey hunter on February 11, 2014, 10:06:59 PM
That choke makes bad lots look good

That's my point.  I doubt you will see this same results with most chokes on just mediocre loads or using this exact same lot in the last picture. 

Not bragging, but I have done a lot of test with various chokes over the years with the 835.  And I will be the first to tell you if you want to shoot lead 6's, or hevi-13 3.5" #7's that the Star Dot is probably one of the top if not the best choke to shoot in the Moss 835's period.  Now if your going to shoot Hevi-13 #6's or 5's, I will be the first to tell you there more than likely is going to be better shooting chokes.  But I know other folks who shoot Hevi-13 6's in their Star Dot chokes and get incredible numbers.  Mine is not one of them with the 6's or 5's in Hevi-13 shells. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll show you the best the TruGlo SSX .670 has done for me.  I only shot 3 shells through it and sold it.  But it was a super good shooting choke with these loads.  And yes I tried it on a 70 degree day and it didn't beat this pattern. 

Philippe

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 11, 2014, 09:28:39 PM
Quote from: Philippe on February 11, 2014, 09:25:06 PM

Nope!  Those were tape measured by me at exactly 120ft from tip of choke to cardboard.

We get some warm weather up here in our area, we Sir need to meet up and blast some card board!