turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fogged-Up Glasses?

Started by GobbleNut, February 10, 2014, 09:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

The "Do you cover your eyes with a facemask?" thread got me thinking about the problem many of us eye-glass wearers have with our glasses fogging up.  I have never been able to wear any sort of mask that is close to my nose and eyes because, invariably, at the moment of truth when a gobbler is getting close enough to elevate my excitement level, my glasses will suddenly fog up. 

This problem is especially bad when hunting in places where the air temperature is much lower than body temperature. 

So, my question is,...Have any of you eye-glass wearers found a product that will absolutely keep your glasses from fogging up if you're wearing a mask when that gobbler starts getting close?  I have pretty much given up trying to wear a mask and just use face-paint, but I think there are times when turkeys recognize a human facial outline even when a hunter is wearing face-paint. 

I think a mask is much better for eliminating that problem, but if I use one, the fog-up problem invariably occurs at the worst possible moment.

Gamblinman

Never found anything that works 100% of the time.

Clarity seems to work the best. I've tried Cat Crap, Spit..all the commercial stuff.

Plain old shaving cream works as good as anything.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Skeeterbait

I know your pain.  Was severely nearsighted all my life and tried wax and liquid anti-fog treatments with limited results.  Best I found was a 1/2 mask that had a nose pinch metal bar in it and cut a hole for breathing thru my mouth.  Contacts weren't the total answer.  They didn't fog but would dry out in windy weather and cloud my vision.  Then I developed cataracts and had surgery 5 years ago.  Strange thing to say but developing cataracts at a relatively early age (49) was the best thing that ever happened to my eyesight. Surgery was easy and painless, recovery quick, quicker than laser surgery, and I now actually am a bit far sighted.  Need mild reading glasses only now.  Told the doctor I wanted the best distance vision he could provide and he really came thru.

FullChoke

My glasses fog up regularly hunting here in Mississippi. I have had marginally good results with anti-fog wipes I found at the Optical department at WalMart. If I find that they are still fogging up, I forcefully blow my exhalation breath through the mouth hole in the mask. This pulls fresh air over the glass lenses and clears them up fairly quickly. If time is critical, two quick swipes with gloved fingers get me to where I can see and then I start blowing to keep them clear.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

drum817

I have had the same problem since I started turkey hunting.  This year I'm trying a new primos mask with a mouth & nose cut out....we'll see??  Breathe in through my nose out through the mouth....just gonna have to be very aware of my breathing.  Wearing glasses sucks!!!  had em since I was 8....one day I'm gonna get that lasik eye surgery.  This is the mask I'm truing.... http://www.primos.com/products/gear-apparel/stretch-fit-half-mask/

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

MouthCaller

I carry two sets of glasses one on my face and another in my vest. My glasses fog up all the time turkey hunting cause this fat boy is sucking wind after walking all over these mountains here. It works pretty well if you have a back up pair after you get set up I just change glasses and the new pair aren't foggy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

jblackburn

I never found anything that worked great.  The anti-fog wipes are ok, I had some that came with a scope I bought.

I switched over to contacts and it is so much nicer!!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jakesdad

My dad wears glasses and has used Rain-X on his lenses.Seems to work pretty well for him.He says they still fog a little,but mostly around the edges and not enough to obstruct his vision.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

longbeards

I have fought the battle with glass's all my life,,,I hunt the MTs of WV and as soon as I sit down to call they fog after pushing myself to climb to a bird!! That being said I carry a handfull of glass cleaners from walmart,,,one to a pack,,come in a box of 50 for 5$,,,they clean super well and I clean glass's as soon as I sit,,,GOOD LUCK!! longbeards

wvboy

This new Product (Bunkerhead) looks promising for both Glasses Wearers and People that just are bothered by tight facemasks like me.. I have not bought it yet, but seriously thinking about it.. see the thread below .. One of the reasons I got Lasik Surgery about 8 years ago was because of foggy glasses in the Turkey woods..

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,39928.msg397486.html#msg397486

http://www.bunkerhead.net/

RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

captin_hook

After my first year of spring turkey hunting and fogging up all the time, I bit the bullet and switched to contacts. It took some getting used to, but after a week or two they're simple to put in and take out.

Kilchis

I've been wearing glasses for 55 years.  I've had the best luck with candle wax, with a rubbing of soap from a dry bar second.  After waxing/soaping the glasses, I just polish them with a soft dry cloth.  I've tried a variety of commercial "no-fog" products and remain underwhelmed.

Nd2020

try getting some dawn dish soap and wipe a thin film on both sides.  Let it dry then buff with a towel.  Works pretty good until they get wet.  Then your screwed.  Or get contacts, best option I have found.

turkeyfoot

Been battling this and got tired of dealing with it just put the mask below my nose I used to be worried the birds would see me but have killed lot this way just by being still never been spotted

TN Beard Buster

I've been wearing glasses for 40 years. I used to race motocross and had problems with them fogging up under my goggles. I bought an anti-fog cloth from a motorcycle dealer and I wipe them with it and it seems to work. I also wear my mask under my nose with black face paint under my eyes to cut glare. This doesn't work 100% of the time, but better than most. My prescription is too strong for Lasik and I have trouble with contacts due to my stigmatism.