OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you cover your eyes completely with a facemask?

Started by WVhuntEER, February 06, 2014, 04:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I have blue eyes as well and don't cover them.  I do however keep my cap down low and I always look for a place to set up that is in the shadows or facing away from the sun.  Keeping movement to an absolute minimum is the key to not spooking birds.

bigwayne17

I've had a bird pitch on my gun barrel. I've had a squirrel run between my legs while sitting down for a turkey and I've had a hard gobbling strutter come by me at about 6 feet before I took his head near bout clean off with some #6's.

Out of respect for my dad I might do things the way he wanted me to while hunting with him, but as long as yall back up in the shadows of some good cover and sit still, instead of hearing "PUTT PUTT", you'll be having turkey dinner back at the house!

Good Luck!!

Rio Fan

I don't cover my eyes either.  Like others have said, I also pull my the bill of my cap down low and sit motionless.  I've had birds get really close to the point where I've squinted to avoid them seeing the white of my eyes and I've actually closed my eyes on a couple different occasions when they've got really close to me.  Did a hunt with a buddy where I was doing the calling and he was positioned out in front of me.  The bird ended up going around us and then worked his way back towards us.  He ended up coming really close to me so I closed my eyes and I could hear his footsteps as he walked by me.  About a minute or two later my buddy put the smackdown on a nice, at least 3 year old bird.

WVhuntEER

Thanks guys!  I appreciate all the responses.  I have always left my eyes uncovered but dad and I were having this debate a few days ago and he always has told me I should use a full net or something.   He is a great turkey hunter and learned to hunt turkeys from a guy that insisted that they could pick up on light colored eyes.    Anyway, this convinces me I can keep doing it my way.  LOL    :funnyturkey:

jblackburn

I've never considered covering my eyes.  Though, mine are dark brown, you know full of $h!!  :funny turkey:

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Turkey Trot

Ok, here you are:  camo tinted lenses in sunglasses. 

It is another opportunity for people to obsess in ignorance and for consumer product companies to prey upon the ignorance and separate them from their money.

http://cvsunglasses.com/moo.html
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood

mwr

trackerbucky

Sounds like an opportunity to make some money on camo contact lenses. :TooFunny:
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

WyoHunter

I never cover my eyes. I pull the brim of my hat down so that there's just a slit to see thru.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

catman529

No, never cover my eyes, I need to be able to see what i'm shooting, lol :D

I also have blue eyes and haven't given it much thought. In fact, I don't always wear a face mask. Definitely wear it more often turkey hunting than deer. almost never wear it deer hunting.

Woodsman4God

bigbird

Sometimes I wear the old school hat with the mask up in it! But besides that I don't cover my eyes.

redleg06

On sunny days I wear sunglasses quite a bit. Not to trick the turkey, just because I like sunglasses on sunny days. :toothy9:

In all seriousness, If a turkey is close enough to see the whites of my eyes, it's like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs....wont be long now. :z-guntootsmiley: