Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you cover your eyes completely with a facemask?

Started by WVhuntEER, February 06, 2014, 04:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVhuntEER

My dad and I were discussing this the other day.  We both have blue eyes and he swears I should cover my eyes completely.  I do once it gets hot with a bug net but I usually wear a 1/2 mask and pull my hat down low.  He thinks gobblers can spot light colored eyes and I should do this all the time.   Just curious in what you guys do.   :boon:

MDbowman

jakesdad

No.If they are close enough to see your eye color pellets should be flyin!I wouldnt worry about it,just try to keep the glare of your face from showing.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Gooserbat

I got blue eyes and I wear a 1/2 mask and keep my cap low just as you said.  Just be sure to keep your mask above your ears and you'll be fine.  being able to utilize my side vision is very important to me when I am hunting.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Turkey Trot

People put too much stock into the myth, lore, and legend of turkey intelligence and vision.

They are creatures of innate behavior and have concern for getting killed, but they are not geniuses.  They have very small brains and generally are not as smart as people, except Obama voters.

They are wary of movement and have to be to survive predation because they taste good.  They have two large eyes that provide good peripheral vision.  But they have eyes on the side of their head, they have to move their head to get a look at an object with both eyes, and do not have the binocular vision that humans have.  They are believed to have poor depth perception, and even thought they see in color (unlike most mammals besides humans and primates), their ability distinguish color is believed to be less than our own (due to smaller eyes and brains).  Don't expect that turkeys see things the exact same way that humans do, because they don't.  But camouflage companies make money trying to convince you that turkeys and deer do see things like you and I. 

Use camo, break up your figure/profile by sitting against a tree, maybe even use a blind, but most importantly, BE STILL. 

Otherwise, don't worry about the picayune until the turkey is right up in your face, then you might want to control rapid blinking of your baby blues to prevent him from wanting to mate with you.  ;D ;D 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Drthorn

Gamblinman

Quote from: Turkey Trot on February 06, 2014, 04:31:18 PM
People put too much stock into the myth, lore, and legend of turkey intelligence and vision.

They are creatures of innate behavior and have concern for getting killed, but they are not geniuses.  They have very small brains and generally are not as smart as people, except Obama voters.

LMAO...couldn't have said it better
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

2eagles

Please forgive me as I am a deer hunter.  This I learned deer hunting and I believe it works well turkey hunting too. I don't put a mask over my eyes, BUT!  When an animal is looking my direction, I squint my eyes partly closed and only look through my eyelashes.  I believe animals recognize other animals eyes.  Why?  When a car next you at a stoplight has a mean 'ol dog and he's looking at you, he stares right in your eyes.  All pets make eye contact with us.  I have been squinting at deer for several years and it works.

Turkey Trot

And the chief said, "His mother named him Two Eagles when he was born, but when we saw him hunt, we called him 'Deer Squinter...'"   ;D ;D
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

redarrow

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 06, 2014, 04:27:10 PM
I got blue eyes and I wear a 1/2 mask and keep my cap low just as you said.  Just be sure to keep your mask above your ears and you'll be fine.  being able to utilize my side vision is very important to me when I am hunting.

Thats the way I see it and I have blue eyes as well. I don't even cover my nose cause my glasses for up. Had a hen standing about 3 or 4 feet once looking me over but she just walked off scratching and eating.

MazeNBlu3

I wear a 3/4 mask and a Boonie style hat. I've had turkeys get within 10 paces and not see my face. Another thing that I think helps is to put your decoys( if you use them) to your right or left at a 45 degree angle to your position. This way the birds aren't even look at you and if they do realise your there it's too late.

2eagles

Quote from: Turkey Trot on February 06, 2014, 05:15:31 PM
And the chief said, "His mother named him Two Eagles when he was born, but when we saw him hunt, we called him 'Deer Squinter...'"   ;D ;D

Darn it!  Now I have to change all of my on-line pass words cuz you figured out the one I've been using.

kevin2

I've got a mask that keeps my eyes uncovered. Then I've got a thin mesh shield that drops down from the hood on my leafy mesh camo jacket that can over the entire head and face. Use them both. Works fine, as my sight isn't hindered at all.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

guesswho

I have blue eyes as well and never have them covered.  Never been as issue.  I do close them when I shoot though.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase