OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835 Longbeard XR #6

Started by GT623, February 01, 2014, 01:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT623

This is my first time patterning a shotgun. I've been reading as many patterning threads as I could in the last couple of weeks and doing lots of research.

Mossberg 835 24" barrel
Jellyhead .690
3 1/2" win Longbeard #6
40 yards. 60*
First was 181, second 158. Then I shot about 10 more times with different loads and finished up with another XR and it shot 126. Is the drop off due to the buildup in the barrel from all the shots?  Is it worth trying an SSX choke? I can get one locally pretty cheap.

chatterbox

Fantastic patterns!
I would say the drop off is due to the barrel being dirty, and if it were me, I would keep the JH, limit my shots to 40 yards and under, and hunt!
Well done! :icon_thumright:

drum817

My best "Guess" is that if you went down to the .675 range on your choke your pattern would be even better,  But that will kill birds all day.  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

drum817

....also keep that barrel clean in between shots.  Invest in a "bore snake".   :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: drum817 on February 01, 2014, 02:06:01 PM
....also keep that barrel clean in between shots.  Invest in a "bore snake".   :icon_thumright:

X2

Put a little elbow grease into cleaning your barrel. Mossbergs are notorious for leaving the factory dirty and in need of a good scrubbing. Also shoot your setup at 20yds those LongBeards stay together a little longer than most shells.

Your patterns are more than enough to kill a turkey out to 40 yds. If you want a tighter pattern try a SSX or Indian Creek choke!

GT623

Here is a 20 yard shot.
I cleaned it pretty good with a 12 gauge brush. I'm guessing a 10 gauge would clean a lot better with the over bored barrel? 

SCDieselDawg

I wouldn't change that setup! You're gonna hammer some turkeys with what you've got!!

GT623

Just ordered 2 more boxes of the longbeards. May try the SSX just to see what it will do.

surehuntsalot

shouldn't have no problems with these patterns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Xcal1ber

That is a good hunting set up. Tight enough at 40 and not to tight at 20. I will also say that you do use a 10 gauge brush in the 835
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

TrackeySauresRex

Not bad for a first timer  ;D  Keep postin em up. Good set up right there,  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Doug Lewis

Get your hands on an SSX choke and throw some #7 Hevi 13's through that gun and it may make your decision a little easier on which shell/choke combo to go with.

TBab

I have the exact setup your shooting right now except i patterned the #5's in the long beards and the pattern blew my mind. Lookin good brother. That pattern will make pink mist fly
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

Twowithone

Good pattern at 40 yds for sure. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

GT623

Thanks guys. I just mounted a red dot, so now I have to get it sighted in and I'll be ready to roll.