Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is there a Single Gun that you Closely Identify With?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, September 25, 2013, 10:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The one you'd likely never part with. The one you really enjoy using, carrying, and shooting. The one you want to leave to one of your kids. The one your kid will show to their kid one day and say, "this was grandpa's gun".

Is it a shotgun, rifle, or maybe a handgun? Is it a nice pretty piece of craftsmanship, or is it simply a workhorse of a gun. One that's been there and back?

Has it been in your family for a while, or are you the original owner? Is it an older gun like a Model 12, an Auto 5, a nice side-by-side, or a 1911?

Which gun is it? Tell us its story. Pics are welcome.

I myself am torn between 4 different guns. There are others, but I feel like I could live without them. Which of these 4 best embodies what I appreciate and enjoy most? Which am I most likely to keep for the rest of my life, even if I fall upon hard times? What would my family do with it if I passed away?

danny

my father passed away in 1989.  I have some of his guns.  His Winchester model 94 30-30.  Also he brought some guns back from WW2.  an 8mm mauser...and some pistols...a P-38....is my favorite.  Have never shot them, and probably never will but they have a special place in my gun safe....a few years ago a friend of mine gave me a Thompson Center Pro in 30-06.  I love that gun and hope to pass it down to my kids.....Danny

redarrow

I have my Granddads 336 Marlin from the early 50's. Chambered in .30-.30. As far as I know it's only taken one deer and that was my wife's first deer. So it has a very special place in my heart.I need to get the split in the butt stock repaired and maybe have some trigger work done cause it takes 3 men and a boy to pull that trigger.

Gooserbat

I have a couple.  My 3" 870, Dad gave me the choice to either buy a class ring or a new 12ga.  That class ring has killed a lot of turkeys.  I also have a Ruger 77 in 270 that traveled thousands of miles and killed lots of game.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

kamski1151

My Dads 30-06 Winchester. Dad passed away in 1986 I will have that gun till I take my last breath.

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

CrustyRusty

My Grandpas old Iver Johnson side by side  and my Dads beretta 686...both priceless

RutnNStrutn

Recently, I was able to track down and buy my Dad's old A5 from a friend he had sold it to. Here's the link to the story if you didn't read it.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,37616.0.html
It is awesome for me to have been able to get Dad's gun back. I killed my first duck with this gun when I was 14. I can't wait to kill some ducks with it this fall, and kill a turkey with Dad's gun this spring!

The other gun that I love is my original 870 that Dad bought for me when I was 15 years old. I killed my first deer, hog, turkey, squirrel and upland game birds with that gun.

captin_hook

My grandfathers single shot .22. It was passed to my father, he gave it to me and some day ill give it to my son.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I'm having a hard time choosing just one. I can't decide whether it should be a Shotgun, or a Handgun. Then, which of two shotguns; or which of two handguns? I guess I could hand down a shotgun, and a handgun to each child? But which one really means the most to me? Which would be the last one I'd sell if I had to?

I guess since I believe that a Shotgun is the most versatile gun, it should be a Shotgun. But should it be the one I hunt with the most, or the nicer looking one that I hunt with from time to time?

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I guess I'll have to say my INV+ 12 Gauge BPS.  I can't imagine selling it.  I can cover any situation with the chokes I have for it too.  SK .735 - IC .730 - MOD .720 - IMP MOD .715 - LFull .710 - Full .705 - XFull .700 - Turkey .665

paboxcall

Workhorse...an old Savage 340 bolt action chambered for 30-30 that my dad bought very used for himself in the early 1960s.  It has a 3x9 on top with a side mount, box magazine, and with factory load blunt nose 150 grain rounds this gun will make clover leaf holes in paper all day long from a solid rest.

It points perfectly, it carries perfectly, it shoulders perfectly, it cycles perfectly.  Its the perfect whitetail rifle.  My dad carried it open sights, my brothers carried scoped, I carried it, and my nephew carried it.  Can't even count how many deer this gun has dropped over the years.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

WildSpur

Gotta say my ruger m77mk2 in 30-06.  My 13th birthday gift.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

surehuntsalot

my grandpa's Rem.1100
Ruger Model 77 in 7mm Mauser my wife bought me
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

savduck

My berretta 390 and my grandads fox handed down to me
Georgia Boy