OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Contemplating switching to a heavy weight load, what do you shoot?

Started by RutnNStrutn, June 29, 2013, 05:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of you use heavy weight loads? (Not Hevishot brand, but heavy weight)

Yes, I use a heavy weight load.
44 (88%)
No, I shoot regular turkey loads.
6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Hook hanger

seb5315

I Love Hevi Shot #13 Magnum Blend - Have had great success with it for the past two seasons.

RutnNStrutn

Interesting!! I knew a lot of guys shot the heavys, but I had no idea it was running 3 to 1 in favor of the heavy.
Thanks for your input guys. Guesswho, I hear ya my man, that's why I posted the poll. I've killed 80% of my birds at 20 yards or less. But I've also killed 20% of my birds at 35-54 yards, and I've passed on several more that were "just out of range" of my lead set up.
I don't want to be a long range sniper of turkeys, but am curious. Plus, I know our mutual friend OTH shoots birds where the neck meets the body when they are less than 25 yards due to his pattern being so tight. Another of my concerns.

guesswho

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on July 01, 2013, 08:24:54 PMPlus, I know our mutual friend OTH shoots birds where the neck meets the body when they are less than 25 yards due to his pattern being so tight. Another of my concerns.
He sounds like a wood duck on a call, so luckily most his birds are beyond 25 yards and he usually has to shoot them in the rear end.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

goblr77

FL-Boss

20GA - FED HW #7, 178 hits.  I'm guessing most 12ga guns with regular lead can't do this.  I'll take HW and the much lighter 20ga anyday.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on July 02, 2013, 07:30:17 AM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on July 01, 2013, 08:24:54 PMPlus, I know our mutual friend OTH shoots birds where the neck meets the body when they are less than 25 yards due to his pattern being so tight. Another of my concerns.
He sounds like a wood duck on a call, so luckily most his birds are beyond 25 yards and he usually has to shoot them in the rear end.
:lol: ;D :TooFunny:

coyote1

I shoot regular loads. I just can't justify the cost for heavy shot when lead does the job just fine at the ranges that I shoot.

RutnNStrutn

Hmm. Interesting. The poll is now running 4 to 1 in favor of the heavys. I had no idea that many people were using them.
So heavy users, what ranges do you average shooting your birds at?

savduck

Ive shot mine from 5 yards to 40+. I shoot it for insurance. I like how it patterns. I like how it hits. I like the margin of error i get out of it. Do you need it...No. You dont need turkey chokes, calls, high velocity lead loads, vest, camo or other necessities either. Its just one more thing that makes me feel better about squeezing the trigger.

Georgia Boy

bbcoach

My 835 with a .670 Pure Gold choke loves 3 1/2 inch #7 Hevi's but Longbeards DON'T!  I'm getting 300+ in 10 at 40 with it.  Most of my shots have been between 25 to 35 yards and I get very little flopping.  If I put the dot at the base of the wattles, Hevi-13's have never let me down.

RutnNStrutn

WildSpur

R'n's:  In my experience the htl just anchors a bird better.  I get a lot less flopping.  To minimize the cost just make sure your gun is dialed in with lead and verify with htl is the same poi.   Imo make sure the poi is identical at 25 yards or so...you will have less effect from the wind.   I dont shoot htl anymore for practice when my gun is dialed in like above.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

ads1

Hevi 13 Blends for me. They pattern well from my gun and I started too late to get #7s.
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois