OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Contemplating switching to a heavy weight load, what do you shoot?

Started by RutnNStrutn, June 29, 2013, 05:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of you use heavy weight loads? (Not Hevishot brand, but heavy weight)

Yes, I use a heavy weight load.
44 (88%)
No, I shoot regular turkey loads.
6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

RutnNStrutn

I've been seriously contemplating switching to a heavier weight load for several years now. I like the ability of putting more pellets on target with the same knock down power of a larger pellet. So I was curious as to what percentage of OG members use the heavier loads.

Tail Feathers

They almost all give better, tighter patterns.  For what you spend on hunting, the cost increase really doesn't mean much.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

FL-Boss

agree.. not really not much more $$ when you think about your hunting expenses overall.  we don't really hunt to save money afterall.

As for the shot.. clearly better. What I like is that I can shoot Hevi / HTL in my 20ga and put up the same (if not better numbers) when compared to a 12ga with regular lead.  I like that because the 20ga is just a joy to carry compared to my other 12 ga guns...

the Ward

I  just made the switch to htl,primarily because I got a good deal on some.I always shot lead and have no complaints about it's performance.But now i'm really excited about using htl  as I see the patterns it can produce along with the added lethality and penetration.I honestly never thought I would shoot it simply because of the cost but what the hey,we only go around once and it is a tiny percentage of overall hunting expenses....ward         :OGturkeyhead:

redarrow

I shoot Nitro 7s right now. in my 20 ga. Will most likely be switching to tss 9s by next season.Did some patterning and was very please with the counts and the penetration at 40 yards.

eddie234

I switched for the same reason you mention. Nice pattern with good numbers. I got mine when they gave a rebate so it wasn't as bad.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

PALongspur

I'm shooting Federal Heavyweight 7s, and they are the bomb!!  :you_rock:

Bigstruttin

In my 20 gauge I shoot federal hwt #7, In my 12 I shot hevi shot mag blend. But I usually take the 20, can't argue with 140+ pellets in 10" at 40 yards

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

jaybird

guesswho

I shoot regular turkey loads.   Until I see where making the switch will benefit my hunting  experience or success I will stick with regular loads.  If I don't use a shell that is capable of longer shots, I know I won't be tempted to take one.  What I currently use is more than capable of killing any turkey I decide to shoot.  I understand why some people use the heavier loads, and I know some people rely on the extended range provided by heavier loads. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WildSpur

You cannot go wrong with a hevi 6, 7, or a magblend.  All should exceed whatever your gun can do with lead. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com