turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Max Distance

Started by jims, June 01, 2013, 11:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I just returned from a Nebraska trip and was doing a little running and gunning.  I had 4 tom's strutting and was the closest I could get.  The toms on this trip didn't seem to want anything to do with calls, fans, or anything so I was pretty much out of options.  It seemed like a borderline shot but I decided to take it.  Luckily I got the tom and everything worked out.

I was using Federal Premium Magnum Turkey Loads and a 12 gauge with 3" mags, 2 oz of 4 shot,1150 FPS, Remington 870.  I know I should take my shotgun out and see what patterns I get at different distances but thought I would ask:  Generally what is the longest shot you are willing to take with a similar set up and it's a matter of taking a shot or go home empty?

turkeyfeathers

I personally have never shot a bird outside 35 yards even though I have a set up that'll reach out farther than that. Figure I don't want to take a chance of a non lethal shot. I also won't shoot at a running deer. Standing broadside, one shot, one kill is my theory.
The good thing you had going for you was a hot load of 4's which will deliver some better energy at longer distance than say 6's.
How far was you shot? Did you pace it off?
Yes, pattern some different loads,tubes  at different distances to see what your gun likes. Your identical set up may be different in results than someone with the same setup.
Congrats on your bird.

guesswho

Quote from: jims on June 01, 2013, 11:35:34 AM
I know I should take my shotgun out and see what patterns I get at different distances but thought I would ask:  Generally what is the longest shot you are willing to take with a similar set up and it's a matter of taking a shot or go home empty?
Should have done that before you took the shot you did.  Better to know that your gun is capable of that shot instead of hoping it is.  I'm glad it produced a dead turkey for yopu and not a crippled one.

My personal max range is what I "think" is 40 yards or less. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mikejd

40 yds is it. this way when you miss judge a bit you still make an ethical shot. Going in thinking any other way makes you take stupid shots. if you asume your gun is good for 50 then a mis judge is 55, no good. Remember the end prize is about 6 lbs of meat so crippling a bird is not worth it .

jims

I paced it off at 60 yards so it was in fact a super long shot.  It sounds like I may have been lucky more than anything...and boy am I glad I didn't wound the tom!  You are right that I should have practiced prior to my hunt....I definitely have a lot of respect for turkeys so don't want to wound any! The other 2 turkeys I shot this year were inside 30 yards. There was no doubt in my mind they were dead birds before I pulled the trigger!  I wasn't sure if my 60 yarder was a fluke or doable...now that I know I will definitely confine shots to 40-45 yards max.  I will also make a point of practicing on targets before next season!

guesswho

Quote from: jims on June 01, 2013, 02:03:09 PM
I will definitely confine shots to 40-45 yards max.  I will also make a point of practicing on targets before next season!
That's the safest approach. I don't think you will regret those restraints, even if you have to let a couple walk away.  Good luck. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Red Huck

Yes I think you were lucky,I'm glad for that. That load with the Flight control wad doesn't pattern well in my 870 with .660 Carlson choke,over 35 yards the pattern is full of holes.

TauntoHawk

Always hit the patterning board pre season.. just like you'd practice with a bow before hunting you need to know whether POI = POA as well as pattern density.

I know on paper what my gun will do with both Hevi and lead from 15-60 but keep the shots well inside that.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

coyote1

I pattern my gun out to 45 yards only to have a 5 yard buffer on range estimation. Max shot is 40 yards. Pattern your gun and get the pattern centered where you are aiming. Shoot it at multiple ranges between 10 and 45 yards so you know exactly where it hits and what the pattern is at different distances. You got lucky getting the bird without doing this stuff before the hunt. If I had a choice between a marginal shot and going home empty handed I would have been eating tag soup.

seb5315

I would never go into the woods without first patterning my turkey gun to know exactly where it is shooting.  I am using Beretta Xtrema 3.5" with Hevi Shot magnum blend shells and a Hevi Shot choke.  I personally trust this set up out to 60yds+.  Two years ago I killed a bird @ 63yds with this set up and last year my buddy who is using the same set up in a Benelli SBE killed one @68yds.  The bird I killed this year was 46yds and I did not hesistate pulling the trigger at all.  Like I said though, the best thing to do is pattern your gun before you head into the woods so you know exactly what it's capable of.  Confidence is a killer!

coyote1

Just a heads up, the mods don't want any talk of shooting birds past 40 yards. We don't need new hunters thinking it is ok to shoot birds at 60 yards.

seb5315

The point of my post wasn't to encourage new hunters to shoot at turkeys over 60yds. The point was to always test your setup before you go into the woods.  If you don't know where your gun is shooting on paper, you shouldn't be hunting with it or shooting at turkeys no matter what the range is.  Every person has their own opinion on what the max distance should be and this should be based on the performance of their individual setups.  I was just speaking from my experience.

coyote1

Completely agree with you but a new hunter that doesn't know better may try it. I was just giving you a heads up on the rules of the forum.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: coyote1 on June 11, 2013, 08:13:13 PM
Just a heads up, the mods don't want any talk of shooting birds past 40 yards. We don't need new hunters thinking it is ok to shoot birds at 60 yards.
I'd love the mods to make the ethical distinction between the guy who doesn't pattern his gun and shoots turkeys at 40 with marginal patterns or a guy who shoots h13 or TSS with devastating patterns at birds at 60 yards.

There are some serious inconsistencies in this position. I shoot em as far as my gun is lethal and could careless what anyone on this board thinks.  Some die at 5 yards, some die at 60 yards.  I know my gun/load/choke combo and its capabilities.

To the OP, you should learn your gun intimately and then decide what shots you execute and which ones you should disregard. Goodluck!

deerpoo22

65 yards. I shoot nitro and I know every single time I pull the trigger I will takem cleanly at that range. I patterned my gun in all weather conditions and I was still over the 100/10in circle all the way out to 65. But 95% of the birds I shoot will generally be 40 yards and under.