OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Max Distance

Started by jims, June 01, 2013, 11:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I try to keep all my shots within 40 yards,due to my gun and ammo combination.I mostly hunt leases and private land so I can give them another try the next morning. 

Rockhound

Just because someone shoots TSS or h13 (I do exclusively) doesn't mean that they are shooting them at extreme ranges. Personally this year I called around 25 birds into setups 8 died and one was missed by a youngster. I had several within 60 yards that I know I could have killed just as easy I did the 4 I killed  (19 yds, 32 yds, 40 yds, 42 yds) now if one comes in that I think I have done my part on I will take him or I may not.

timberjack86

If he's not within 40 yards I haven't called him in yet.

mudhen

There are turkey hunters, and there are turkey shooters.

We all know what we are.  Our actions define us.

No real need to discuss.

If you want some sort of answer, put a poll up.  I bet I can predict the results...

Respect should be shown to the wishes of the owner of any website.

This is a pretty neat place.  I'm glad it is available to us!

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

troutfisher13111

Quote from: mudhen on June 16, 2013, 01:06:08 AM
Respect should be shown to the wishes of the owner of any website.

This is a pretty neat place.  I'm glad it is available to us!

mudhen

Agreed!

jims

As a "greenhorn" turkey hunter I'm glad I created this post.  It educated me to the importance of only taking close shots and getting out prior to the season to practice on paper.  Just getting started this year I had no idea about turkey loads and lethal shot distances!  I have great respect for all the different game species I hunt and it is my responsibility and quest never to wound an animal!

coyote1

I'm glad the answers in this thread helped you (all the bickering aside). The folks on here don't mind helping, I have asked several questions myself. :icon_thumright:

chatterbox

I'll chime in on this one.
I'm probably not the best turkey hunter or caller for that matter. However, I have learned a tremendous amout of information from many good hunters on this website.
I hae been on a 4 year dry spell. I have had my oppurtnities to kill birds in each of the prior 4 seasons, but misses and hung up birds were the norm.
This year it all came together for me. I called in a bird from over 200 yards away to within 25. The woods were dry, and I could hear this suicidal boy running in!
I took him at right around 20-25 yards. Nothing, and I mean nothing in all my prior years of hunting was as exciting as this one! I felt like I finally beat one at his own game. That's turkey hunting to me.
Last year I had three in a field come in. They spooked, and 2 bugged out. I had one in my scope, but he looked a ways off, so I didn't shoot. When the birds left the field, I walked out to the spot where he was. I estimated it to be 60-65 yards off. Glad I held off!
My point I'm trying to make in this diatribe is that my personal preference is to have them well under 40 yards. To me, turkey hunting is a close in sport. Nothing better than knowing you beat him at his own game!

the Ward

Consistently taking long shots ="must have something dead in bed of truck to prove i'm a great hunter"Don't want to offend anyone,it's a free country and anyone can hunt anyway they want as long as its legal.The problem I see is a downhill slide on the slippery slope of ethical conduct.Look at the tv shows,nothing counts except the almighty kill shot and obligatory high fives on camera.Look at jeff foiles convicted of shooting geese in a public park with a pellet gun for their bands to put on his call lanyard,the list goes on and on.The question is when does it stop being hunting and start becoming all about the shooting?like I stated before,anyone can hunt the way they want as long as it's legal.I hunt both ohio and pa,public and private lands.Never felt I had to shoot over 40 for any reason.We all hunt in order to take game,but it's how we take the game that makes us hunters.

barry

This is actually an interesting post. Glad it hasn't ended in the proverbial "train wreck"
Yes I have a gun that will take a bird at long ranges. That being said I can't remember the last bird that I shot at that was over 30 yards and I primarily hunt fields. I've even started taking my crossbow on occasion and have taken 3 birds with it, all within 15 yards.

Different strokes for different folks! Let's just enjoy the fact that we get to chase this magnificent bird in whatever manner we choose. Me, I HAVE to do it from a wheelchair, so if you want a real challenge try that one time!

WildTigerTrout

40 yards plus or minus a couple.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!