turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Picked up a Mossberg 835 today

Started by SCDieselDawg, May 20, 2013, 02:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCDieselDawg

Stopped by a local gunshop and ended up the new owner of a used 835. Got it home swapped the factory choke out with my SSX. Drug the bore snake through twice. And tried two different shells, both were 3.5" Winchester Double x HVs. One a #5 the other a #6. Both produced 10" patterns of 140 at 39 yds. This gun is gonna be a good compliment to the 935 I set up earlier this year.  Now I gotta decide if my Rem. 870s are gonna be worth my time to fool with for turkey hunting.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Congrats!.

I'll tell you 2 words for the 835.  Star Dot

SCDieselDawg

Them Star Dots have a following for sure!  I may have to become a member my self.

davisd9

:icon_thumright:  Best turkey gun there is in my opinion.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jblackburn

Were those the red winchester shells?  Mine love those in 6's with a Mossberg XX extended choke.  Puts upper 140s and 150s in the 10 inch circle at 40.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on May 20, 2013, 03:26:54 PM
Them Star Dots have a following for sure!  I may have to become a member my self.

Like I told you in our discussion it just depends on what your wanting to shoot and what you want in your pattern.  I don't think the Star Dot is going to always be the best with certain loads.  But shooting Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's I know of no other that will beat it for 10" numbers. 

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: jblackburn on May 20, 2013, 04:21:57 PM
Were those the red winchester shells?  Mine love those in 6's with a Mossberg XX extended choke.  Puts upper 140s and 150s in the 10 inch circle at 40.

These are black hulls. I can't seem to find the old HVs anymore.

gophert

I bought one last week for $200 and sold it a day later.  Looked good, but I hate to say it, I was not as solid as my 870's.  A good gun none-the-less.

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo LTE

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: gophert on May 20, 2013, 07:28:16 PM
I bought one last week for $200 and sold it a day later.  Looked good, but I hate to say it, I was not as solid as my 870's.  A good gun none-the-less.

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo LTE

I'll agree with that.  But they do work well and shoot exceptionally well. 

Punisher

I once owned one and the tang safety got stuck so I traded it off.  I looked at a used one the other day I thought about buying.  The tang safety was stuck on it too.  I would really like to have an 835 but it seems this must be a problem on these guns.  Have any of you guys had this problem, and if you did, what did you do to remedy it?

ILIKEHEVI-13

My 835 is a 2000 model.  I bought it new.  The only problem I had with mine that I sent it back after I bought it, and I did'nt even notice it at first when I bought it, but the Mossy Oak Shadow Grass camo finish they liked stopped on it the lower part of the barrel, and it looked like crap.  I sent the whole gun back.  They sent me a letter I beleive and said that they were going to have to give me a new receiver with a different serial number since they can't by their policy put a new barrel that was finished correctly on my gun.  I guess it's a federal regulation or something.  But that has beenn my only issue.  This 835 I have now has been the best shooting shotgun I have ever shot.  And I mean that.  It's also been one of the best shooting shotguns that I have seen shoot a lot of turkey loads. 

davisd9

Quote from: Punisher on May 20, 2013, 09:09:22 PM
I once owned one and the tang safety got stuck so I traded it off.  I looked at a used one the other day I thought about buying.  The tang safety was stuck on it too.  I would really like to have an 835 but it seems this must be a problem on these guns.  Have any of you guys had this problem, and if you did, what did you do to remedy it?

What do you mean by stuck? Would not move or hard to move? I have had one or two Mossbergs that the safety was stiff on, but never one that would not move at all. I have replaced the safeties and all was fine. If you use it strictly for a Turkey gun I would highly suggest putting on the tactical safety. It is larger and makes it easier to get it off safety, especially with an optic like a scope.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Punisher

The one I owned was brand new, and I mean the safety stuck and would not move.  The one I looked at the other day, I tried for the life of me, but I could not get the safety to budge off the fire position.

davisd9

Never seen that or heard of it. I have owned 2 835s, a mk5500II, and my dad had a bolt action 12 Ga Mossberg. I have cleaned and repaired a many and never saw that. Not sure what to tell you. The safety is easy to replace. If the trigger assembly is not put in correctly it can have an effect on the safety.

I would love to break it down and see what caused it.

davisd9

SCDieselDawg, what part of SC you in?  I am upstate.