Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

looking for a good red dot sight that wont break the bank

Started by shorthair15, May 02, 2013, 02:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorthair15

im looking for a good red dot sight that wont brake the bank for my 870 super mag. thanks

WildSpur

I was in your shoes 3 years ago.  I bought a truglo gobble stopper.   Decent for the price.

I shoot a fast fire now though.  I should have just "bought once."

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

mossyoakpro

Give the Truglo a try....I have the one with the integrated saddle mount for the Remington guns....it has been a great sight for the money.  I thought about a Fastfire on this gun but there is really no reason for it since the Truglo works so flawlessly.

I am giving this gun a facelift after the season with a new pistol grip stock and a new pattern dipping but the Truglo will stay put on it since it has been such a good sight.

I have FF's on a couple of other guns and I really like them but for the money I would give the Truglo a whirl.
Phillippians 4:13

ElkTurkMan

Another vote here for Tru Glo.  I ahve the gobble stopper on my 870 since 2010, and it has been very reliable.  I think so much of this red dot, I just put one on my 10GA.

WildTigerTrout

Th Bushnell "Trophy" red dot is a good one that's not too expensive. I have one mounted on my own Rem 870 SM. It is durable and holds zero. ;)
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

CrustyRusty

I have tried the lower cost red dots and the old adage that you get what you pay for really aplies to optics.  Truglo does offer a decent sight for the money, but in all honesty I would wait and save and get a quality red dot like an aimpoint or trijicon RMR.

bcknuts

Ditto what Mossyoakpro said have a gobble stopper on a moss super Bantom 500 love it and wife does to.

Kevin
Kevin

gobblergls

I am a firm believer in paying what it takes to get quality.  However, the moderately priced Burris FFIII is considerably cheaper than Trijicon and Aimpoint of which I have in earlier models.  The RMR and H1 red dots from Trijicon and Aimpoint are at the top of the list in red dots as far as I'm concerned.  From my experience this year with two FFIII's, they seem to be excellent.  Docter's red dot is also moderately priced at $250 delivered which is 20 bucks more than the best priced FFIII delivered.

the Ward

I have a bushnell Trs 25 and it's a nice compact sight.Nitrogen filled and so far has held up fine on a 7#shotgun shooting 3"mags.They're about $100.Just depends on what you mean by break the bank.There is alot of very good sights in the $250 range,the burris ff2&3,doctor,accu-dot,just depends on whether you want an open reflex style or tube type.I have a tru-glo i got on a "black friday"sale for $19.99 and its still going strong on a very hard recoiling h&r single shot 12!Also you might want to check out the Mueller,lot of reviews on it on this forum from guys using it,i think they were running about $100.But i agree with other posters,better to buy once than buy twice,don't want to have something fail in the field after working hard to get a bird where you want him.Depending on what you have to spend,i would start by looking at reviews of sights,and stay with the bigger, better known brand names.Just make sure the sight your looking at is rated for shotgun recoil,there are alot of sights out there now being marketed for the ar15 style guns and they may or may not be up to the punishment a 3 or 3.5 mag can dish out.Good luck in your search....ward

Tom Dooley

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on May 03, 2013, 08:41:29 AM
Th Bushnell "Trophy" red dot is a good one that's not too expensive. I have one mounted on my own Rem 870 SM. It is durable and holds zero. ;)

I have one of these on my gun and one on my sons. We both love them. If you look around I think these are about $60. There is one model of these that is more expensive. I think it has more reticles and a red/green dot which I dont see a need for. After several years of use ours have never failed us and the 6 moa dot seems to me to be perfect size for turkeys.

CrustyRusty

I didnt have as much luck with the FF, and now am using an RMR.   

JKF

beagler

Just remember when it comes to optics you get what you pay for.
Never Misses

ILIKEHEVI-13

I like my TruGlo open dot sight.  Best $72 I ever spent.  Holds its zero shot after shot.  Plus it has a lifetime warranty. 

CrustyRusty

I love the RMR.  I got the LED version from a buddy that gets things wholesale at a steal of a price.  Its a bit larger than the FF but its quality is obvious.   My other red dots are Aimpoints like Beagler uses, but I wanted something a bit smaller and lighter and not a tube and the RMR with its FOV and warranty and build quality are unmatched for a small red dot

Quote from: JKF on May 04, 2013, 08:19:24 PM
How do you like that RMR?