turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do you expect from #5s

Started by SCDieselDawg, April 30, 2013, 03:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCDieselDawg

Started a new project today. It's a 26" barreled 870 Magnum. I'm gonna try to set it up for 5s and am curious what's ideal/average pattern wise for a 3" #5. I've got a few chokes on hand to try but am not against finding another.

Also any suggestions on shell/choke combos?

I've got a .655 & .665 Kicks and a .660 JH

SCDieselDawg

Nobody shooting lead 5s any more?

Michigander

My Rossi with a Sumtoy does about 85 with Thugs

the Ward

I would think one of those chokes should work for you.I got 109 in the ten with turkey thug 5s and 99 with winchester "grey box" 5s.Both shells are 3" 1-7/8,choke was a sumtoy .650 at 40 yrds out of a benelli vinci under windy conditions with a not so clean bore.I would say anything over 100 to be pretty good for 5s,some members have done much better than that with the thugs.

Onpoint

Im gettin 100-110 with 3" thug #5's out of an 870 with sumtoy .660. Try the chokes ya got and see. Anything around the 100 mark is all ya need.

SCDieselDawg

Thanks Guys!  I shot the .655 Kicks today. I got 100 with Winchester XXs, 84 with Winchester HV, and a dismal 58 with Remington Premiere.  Im gonna try the other chokes to see if I can pick up a few hits.  Also gonna try to find some Federal TT, or strut Shoks.

bushwhacker

Expect dead toms with 5's. The .665 is  about ideal in my book for 5's. My 870's like a Jellyhead .665 with 5's. They all shoot around 100 in ten at 40.

R AJ

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on April 30, 2013, 11:00:53 PM
Thanks Guys!  I shot the .655 Kicks today. I got 100 with Winchester XXs, 84 with Winchester HV, and a dismal 58 with Remington Premiere.  Im gonna try the other chokes to see if I can pick up a few hits.  Also gonna try to find some Federal TT, or strut Shoks.

I would next try the 665 and see how the actual patterns compare. At 30 yards I would check pattern and make decisions from there. Fives are killers no doubt when you know what you have.

surehuntsalot

5's are all I shoot 90% of the time in both 20 and 12 ga
#5's will clean their plates as far as I'm gonna shoot at them with no problems
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

darn2ten

I think that .660 JH should work pretty good. I got 2 guns that consistently put between 110 and 120 #5's in the 10" at 40, with a high of 131 with 3" shells. My best performers are the 3-1 7/8-5 thugs and the gray box super x 3-1 7/8-5 Winny's. Make sure your barrel is polished and deep cleaned, that will definitely improve your patterns. That .665 GT may work well also. I've just had experience with a Remington and lead and the .660 JH is what I settled with. That .655 would probably work better with #6's, but may be a little tight for #5's. Hey, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. lol! Seriously, the only way to know is to shoot each load through each choke cleaning the bore between each shot for consistency to know what you got. Good luck!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

If you can manage to get 120 to 130 with #5 shot, that is golden.  At that point, who needs HTL?

surehuntsalot

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on May 02, 2013, 10:32:40 PM
If you can manage to get 120 to 130 with #5 shot, that is golden.  At that point, who needs HTL?

exactly
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Michigander

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Quote from: Michigander on April 30, 2013, 10:03:26 PM
My Rossi with a Sumtoy does about 85 with Thugs

Forgot to say that this was out of a 20.

SCDieselDawg

Thanks Guys! I'm getting some decent #s from the 3.5" shells in other guns.I'm just trying to see what I can get out of this one. I found some #5 Turkey Thugs yesterday on sale do I've got plenty of shells to work with. I'm gonna break down soon and polish the barrel maybe that'll help out some.

Longshanks

Just got a good deal on a Kicks .660. Gonna try to turn some 5 patterns out of both rem 870's, 21" bbl and 28" bbl. looking to shoot 100+ @ 40. This is my last hoorah with trying to get 5's to pattern. Patterns I have gotten with 5's in the past 35 years have been killers at 30-35 yards..drop off big time @ 40.