OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red dot or not????

Started by scdxt, April 28, 2013, 08:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scdxt

Well guys I've been hunting with Truglo pro series adj sights for years with great success. Got a Remington 870 and stoeger m2000. Is the red dot deal really worth switching to. Also would you go speed bead or weaver style mount?  Pros and cons??

scdxt

2much2loud

Love my fast fire 2 .... Would rather use factory beads but poi is off a little... As far as red dots I have used others but the FF II is top notch in my book

grayfox

Well I had been wondering the same thing.  Went to a red dot this year & really do like it.  I don't believe I would want a tube type style though.  In case you need a fast follow up shot I think a reflex style is the way to go.  I can shoot mine with both eyes open while also being able to view around each sides of the sight.  I was worried about a fast second shot if needed, but my mind was put to rest about this yesterday after I had to take a running shot.  Rolled him over pretty quick. If I was still young & could focus on closer objects like I used too, I would probably still use a bead.  Good luck on your choice.

DirtNap647

Bottomland

i just started hunting this season with a fastfire 3 and i will probably never hit the turkey woods without it.  Great sight

beagler

I have two Aimpoint 9000SC red dot scopes, one on my Mossberg 835 and one on my Benelli SBE 2. Love them. They withstand the heaviest recoil and get incredible battery life. Great for hunting predators at night as well. I just recently put a Burris FFIII on my daughters Mini Turkey Thug. I'll see how well it holds up.
Never Misses

Tom Dooley

Red dot is my favorite sight for the turkey gun

WildSpur

Can't go wrong with a red dot.  With our guns now adays shooting like rifles, the red dot aids in precison.  I like my FF2.  I had a tube style in the past and would not go back to one.  If you pull the trigger, buy once and get the Burris.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

dan61psu

Have a cheap tasco red dot mounted on my turkey gun - i was recently hunting, and my hunting buddy wondered if the reddish glow from the lens might be an added 'spook factor' to turkeys.  Thoughts?  I did look at it from the front and the reddish tint of the optics are definitely noticeable...

was thinking of going with a burris FF2 this off season...thoughts?
It's no fun living so far from good turkey woods!

WildSpur

Imo the red dot sight will not scare turkeys.

I really believe your barrel doing figure 8's and ones sling swaying will scare more birds than anything else.  Jmho.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

chatterbox

Burris Fast fire series. These are what I run on my turkey rigs.
My son missed 2 with a bushnell trophy red dot. I believe the open style is the best type of sight for tukeys.
Harrison didn't miss with the FF II mounted on his rig. Nothing better for turkey guns IMO.

the Ward

Red dot all the way.Loved using a bead,but alot of times i had poi problems with tight turkey chokes and the red dot fixes it without the size and weight of a scope,plus my eyesight has gone downhill and i have trouble lining up open sights.Currently running a bushnel trs 25 micro red dot.Very small and light and so far its held up great.I do want to try a ff3 though,probably next season,or even possibly a trijicon rmr duel illuminated sight,but it would be hard for me to justify the expense of the trijicon.But i've learned to never say never,lol!......ward

rock54

i put the bushnell xlt 1.75-4x with circle reticle on my wife's 870 youth and am putn the same on my 1187...

sighted in with circle on the head and pull the trigger...pattern is a little higher than the orange dot on the turkey neck targets...

her gun set up has dropped 3 birds this year from 10 to 25 yds...

i am very happy with this set up, scope is very very clear,better than
the simmons pro-diamond that we lookd at..IMO

good luck in your decision...russ

Gobble!

Becuase of how tight my setup shoots I use a red dot. Absolutely love it would never go back to open sights. Currently Im using a bushnell trophy red dot but plan on putting on a Burris FF for next year after checking out a gun that had one mounted on it.