OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red dot or not????

Started by scdxt, April 28, 2013, 08:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

I've had a $35 BSA Red Dot on my 870 for the last 10 years and love it.  I change the battery every year and haven't had an issue with it yet.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: scdxt on April 28, 2013, 08:08:40 PM
Well guys I've been hunting with Truglo pro series adj sights for years with great success. Got a Remington 870 and stoeger m2000. Is the red dot deal really worth switching to. Also would you go speed bead or weaver style mount?  Pros and cons??

couldn't imagine hunting turkeys without a reddot, I vastly prefer open style but some guys don't mind the tube.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BurrisOptics

I'm obviously a proponent of using optics on a turkey rig but I had that opinion long before I came to Burris.  I used a cheap BSA for one season and it worked very well but then bought an Aimpoint clone made by Nikko I believe and that worked very well also but was a bit large.  I moved to the FastFire when I came here and that was a huge improvement over the other 2.  My 12 year old daughter and I are both using the FF3 and my 16 year old son is using a Tac30 1x-4x on his 835.  My boy loves the scope and won't go back to the red dot but my daughter loves her FF.  Neither has missed a bird since they started hunting 4 years ago. 

It doesn't matter what brand you buy.  Just try one out and I think you'll see why so many people have made the switch. 

WildTigerTrout

Red dots are the way to go IMO. Tube or open? You will have to make that choice. I have both types and keep both eyes open when shooting either one. I really don't even notice that I'm looking thru a tube.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Ridge Rooster

Contemplating the same thing. I have turkey hunted for 25 years with beads, a couple of years ago I started using the Rhino/Nitro combo out of a SBE2 Steady Grip gun, and the POI was different then the beads. So out of necessity I bought a scope, 1X Burris Extended Eye Relief scope. Killed a couple gobblers with the scoped gun but just could never warm up to the scope. In a moment that I regret, I sold that gun to a buddy, and went back to the old two beads. About the time I got rid of the scoped gun, the red dots like the Burris FF and Doctor Optics and several other manufacturers started coming out with the slick little red dots that are common now. Wish I had put one on my SBE2 and tried that combo! Well I have been using my SBE1 with two beads and the Rhino/Nitro and my Old school Remington 11-87 21" gun. I just purchased a Steady Grip for my SBE1 and thinking about getting it drilled/tapped for the Burris 336 mount and a FF3. I just hate to spend the money and decide that I don't like it and now have two holes in the top of my receiver. The more I read about how much people lie the Burris FF, the more I sway towards getting one.
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

eddie234

I have a cheapo set of tru glo fiber optic sights on my gun and don't have to worry about battery's, dropping it and knocking the poi off. Simple and easy

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

Onpoint

On my dedicated rig I love a reddot, but it's a good idea to have a backup gun with a set of rifle sights, for those rainy days it just incase you run into problems with your reddot in the middle of season.

Cut N Run

Love my Speed Bead.  I had a TruGlo on my old SBE, but didn't like the weight and inability to see around it. Took it off after the first day of hunting.  I added a Speed Bead to my new SBE II and absolutely love it.  I can still use the factory beads on the barrel if I need to.  I thought about adding a receiver mounted scope base, but liked how out of the way the Speed Bead is.  I also heard guys who had receiver mounted FF say to have it mounted as far back as possible.  You can't get a sight mounted much farther back than the Speed Bead is.

You'll wonder what took you so long to add one to your rig.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

BoWhoop

Are there any negatives to the Speed Bead?

Really leaning towards Speed Bead with FFIII, will probably put it on a Benelli Nova.  Been looking around, everything seems to refer to a Super Nova, not a Nova, would there be a difference?

Does the Speed Bead have a protector?  What exactly would I need to buy and where is the best place to get it?