Main Menu

Hevi Shot Magnum Blend

Started by mossyoakpro, April 27, 2013, 08:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoakpro

Good?

Bad?

Ugly?

Gonna go with the Hevi shot tube since I have gotten such great results from it in my 20 gauge and Hevi-13 #7's

I prefer straight 6's but the Magnum Blend keeps coming up everywhere.....I need a little input on them please.  And no I don't believe that 75 yard bologna they have on their marketing....that is rediculous.  They will be used in the normal 40 yard and under setting.

Thanks!!
Phillippians 4:13

coyotetrpr

In my 835 with a 20 inch barrel I use the hevi choke tube and mag blends and get a great even pattern. Numbers chasers can beat it all day with straight 7s but I have had great luck with them in the field. Really bloodies some heads. Hope this helps, I will use them until they are gone.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Ridge Rooster

Good: They produce some excellent patterns in my Old 11-87 21" barrel.

Bad: They are expensive.

Ugly: What they will do to a turkeys head!

Bass Pro Shop had them on sale a couple weeks ago, may still. I purchased a couple boxes because I had just used the last of my Nitro's on an Ol Kentucky long beard. They pattern nearly as good as the Nitro's through my .660 Rhino.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

R AJ

If you had two ounces of #7 shot it would be enough to cover all the 40 yard shots and slam every turkey out there.
So you want less numbers of shot in larger sizes than needed for what purpose?

These are still great shells and they do the job, so not the worst decision in the world.

I just want some gobblers that gobble on a consistent basis that will respond to my calls.( A rare find this year in Bama land.

ILIKEHEVI-13

If your gonna shoot a 20GA, stick with the straight 7's even if it means you have to order them. 

FL-Boss

+1....there is a reason #7 are harder to find...and likely need to be ordered....they are the best

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mossyoakpro

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 27, 2013, 09:48:59 AM
If your gonna shoot a 20GA, stick with the straight 7's even if it means you have to order them.

I forgot to mention...these will be for 12 gauge use....I shoot the straight 7's in my 20.

Thanks for the replies so far!!

mossyoakpro

Quote from: RAJ on April 27, 2013, 09:05:20 AM
If you had two ounces of #7 shot it would be enough to cover all the 40 yard shots and slam every turkey out there.
So you want less numbers of shot in larger sizes than needed for what purpose?

These are still great shells and they do the job, so not the worst decision in the world.

I just want some gobblers that gobble on a consistent basis that will respond to my calls.( A rare find this year in Bama land.

You and me both buddy....I am trying for a single season GS and cannot manage to kill an Eastern.  Very little if any gobbling and no response to calls.

albrubacker

I would shoot straight7s if it was legal here. Up until last yr we were only allowed to use 4, 5, or 6 shot here in De. Now we can shoot 7 1/2 shot as long as there is 4, 5, or mixed with it.
???
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

cahaba

You and me both buddy....I am trying for a single season GS and cannot manage to kill an Eastern.  Very little if any gobbling and no response to calls.
[/quote

Same here. Very little gobbling and birds that won't commit. The worst season I have ever seen.

I shoot MagBlend in my 12 ga. SX3 and get 253 hits average @40 yds. with about 60 hits in the vitals. They knock em in the dirt too.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: cahaba on April 27, 2013, 06:35:32 PM

[/quote

Same here. Very little gobbling and birds that won't commit. The worst season I have ever seen.

I shoot MagBlend in my 12 ga. SX3 and get 253 hits average @40 yds. with about 60 hits in the vitals. They knock em in the dirt too.

The Magblends I had in 12GA 3" and 3.5" were pretty lousy.  The 3" were the worst.  I tried 2 different chokes at a taped 40yds with the 3" magblends and got 125 with the Haymker .670 choke and 156 with the Super Max choke out of my 870.  The Moss 835 with Star Dot choke that shoots the Hevi-13 3.5" #7 loads so well did I think 190 with the 3.5" magblends.  Nothing to brag about.  These were the newer loads out this year. 

Kelly at Hevi-Shot told me that magblends are 1/3 of each 5's, 6's, and 7's.   So since I know that, that means there is nowhere near the amount of shot as the straight 7's.  So really getting patterns over 220 shot would probably be rare at a true 40yds.  It could be some of the older shells had more 7's than the newer loads, too. 

SCDieselDawg

My 870sm with the Hevi choke really like the 3.5" Mag Blends. It shot a little over 200 at 40.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on April 27, 2013, 08:16:50 PM
My 870sm with the Hevi choke really like the 3.5" Mag Blends. It shot a little over 200 at 40.

And really that is probably a very good pattern with the Magblends. 

I'm not gonna call folks a liar, but after I know that Magblends have 1/3 of each 5's 6's and 7's, and folks that say they are getting these high pellet counts of 230 or more, well I just say do the math when 250 to 270 are excellent patterns for straight  Hevi-13 7's in 3" and 3.5" at a true 40yds in a true 10" circle.  So something is'nt adding up with all these high counts.  I know some shells will shoot better than others, but not by that much.  190 in the 10" was what my 835 and Star Dot choke did with the 3.5" magblend.  Now it could be the Star Dot didn't like them like it does the straight 3.5" Hevi-13 #7's.   And I only shot one shot.  But that should have gave me a decent sample.   I wasn't impressed.  Stuck a 3.5" 2.25oz #7 load in the 835 with the Star Dot choke and got 300 shot in the 10".   

jrmcclure

Magnum blends are amazing. Plain and simply.  I easily get 230+  in a ten inch circle out of my mossberg and my Beretta extrema. In the past two weeks I have seen 3 Gobbler and two coyotes fall to mag blends and the extrema with one of the coyotes running at 50+  yards. The magnum blends do have a lot of 7's in the shell, but they are shooting 1200fps instead of 1090 of the standard load. I recently stocked up on magnum blends and will be shooting them for the next few years

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well my point is no they don't have a lot of 7's.  They have only a 1/3 of 7's from what you would get with straight 7's.  The rest are 1/3 of each of 5's and 6's.  So I got to question a lot of these higher pellet counts or the actual yardage that guys are shooting at.  It's one or the other.  And I will say the 3.5" magblend is the hardest kicking shell I have ever shot.