OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi Shot Magnum Blend

Started by mossyoakpro, April 27, 2013, 08:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I'm not stating that to single anyone out here.  But I know a lot about patterns and numbers and what it takes to get the patterns that ones are claiming.  If the number of pellets in the magblends is'nt close to the # of pellets in the straight 7's, then your not going to get close to the same patterns that guys are getting with the straight 7's.  And that is a fact. 

SCDieselDawg

I was surprised that they broke 200 for me. Actually was 211.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on April 27, 2013, 09:04:41 PM
I was surprised that they broke 200 for me. Actually was 211.

I would say that is really good for the magblends.  That was the 3.5" loads correct?

SCDieselDawg

You are correct. I also shot the 3" shells in a 21" 870 with a .660 JH that produced a 219 but I used a 12" circle on that one. 

jrmcclure

All my patterns were at a taped measured 40. I'm seeing 230+  out of 3 1/2 and 210+ out of 3". And by looking at the patterns the magnum blends are more 7's than anything else.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well maybe I ought to send you the magblends I have left in 3" and 3.5".  I doubt you would get close to them numbers.  The Star Dot doesn't shoot the straight 6's that well, but with lot # 300325 of the 3.5" 2.25oz #7's I have got 361 and 360 in the 10" at a taped 40yds. 

Here's the lot #'s of the magblends I was shooting.

3" magblends was lot 201141

3.5" magblends was lot 301039 the best I can read it.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll show you a sample of the 835 and Star Dot choke with 300325 of Hevi-13 2.25oz #7's at a tape measured 40yds. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now to go from that down to 190 shot in the 10" well like I said is very disappointing.  And that 8" rectangle strip was where I later put a piece of 8" duct tape and traced around it with a black sharpie since a guy on another forum wanted to know how many shot could a guy put in a 8" piece of duct tape at 40yds.  There's 98 shot in what would be that piece of tape.  Of course I put the tape in what I thought was the densest part of that pattern. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now grant it not all Hevi-13 3.5" #7 loads will shoot near that well.  But I would say that typically 280-300 would be the norm for most of these same loads from different lot #'s out of my 835 and Star Dot choke at 40yds for 10" numbers.  But that's not why I posted it.  I posted it to show that my combo will shoot tremendous patterns with the straight Hevi-13 #7's in 3.5".  And to shoot the same combo with the 3.5" magblends and only get 190...well which one do you think I should be shooting.  My whole point was why even shoot the magblends.  Years ago I learned from reloading shells that making a load to fast will spread the pattern a lot of the times.  But I don't think that the 1200fps on these magblend loads is the only thing that is hurting the numbers.  It's the actual number of pellets you have in each shell vs what you have with the straight 7's.  It's a no brainer to me what is going on here in the 10" numbers at 40yds. 

turkey buster

i like the magnum blends out of my gun. i will be honest and say i have never counted each little hole on the paper and i have never shot the hs#7 3.5in shells. but out of everything i have shot the magnum blends have held the best even pattern out of my combo. ive also killed every turkey ive shot at with them from 15 yards to 53 yards...the 53 yarder was further than what i thought on a lease road or id never taken that shot for ethical reasons. (yardage ranged later)

i have alot of magnum blends left and i will stay with them until i run out which should be in about 15-20 years with my current stock lol

also about my pattern i have a mueller quick shot and my poi/poa is the same and my 10 in circle is true..even though ive never counted the holes there is plenty, plenty, plenty. i guess ill count them next time i shoot a shell or two.

ILIKEHEVI-13

And by all means use the magblends if they are working for you.  I know they will kill any turkey tah walks at 40yds with a good gun and right turkey choke. 

But I also wanted to point out that a lot of guys need to remember when counting your 10" numbers is that I try and only count the snowman pellets as one.  That's the pellets that may be a #6 or #7 and have either a smaller #7, #8, or #9 stuck to it.  So I'm just pointing out it also is how you count your pellets.  Typically if I have a shot that is a bigger shot or hole and a smaller hole right next to it touching that is counted as 1 shot by me which is the snowman pellet I am speaking of.  If you ever remove this shot from a turkey or phonebook or any material you shoot at with thes loads, you will see sure enough of what I mean.  If you have 2 shot holes touching that are approx the same size, I count that as 2.   I learned this by looking at the pellets from a 3" #7 load.

turkey buster

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 27, 2013, 10:14:14 PM
And by all means use the magblends if they are working for you.  I know they will kill any turkey tah walks at 40yds with a good gun and right turkey choke. 

But I also wanted to point out that a lot of guys need to remember when counting your 10" numbers is that I try and only count the snowman pellets as one.  That's the pellets that may be a #6 or #7 wnad have either a smaller #7, #8, or #9 stuck to it.  So I'm just pointing out it also is how you count your pellets.  Typically if I have a shot that is a bigger shot or hole and a smaller hole right next to it touching that is counted as 1 shot by me which is the snowman pellet I am speaking of.  If you ever remove this shot from a turkey or phonebook or any material you shoot at with thes loads, you will see sure enough of what I mean.

i tried not to be biased by stating i havent tried the 7's. lol! i do like the mag blends though. one of the reasons i havent counted the holes is for the reason you are talking about. there are too many and too many different sizes. i could tell by the pattern it was even and tighter than the other loads i tried, that being said if i had the 7's to try and they wouldve done what everyone says they do i wouldve stuck with them.

my gun will not shoot the remington nitro 4's well nor the winchester hv 6's. the thug 5's and hevi 6's was decent with the hevi 6's running a close 2nd to the mb's

turkey buster

i want to add that the win hv 6's and rem nitro 4's was so bad in my gun that it is very important to do some pattern testing instead of running in the store and just grabbing a box and hitting the woods.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: turkey buster on April 27, 2013, 10:25:53 PM
i want to add that the win hv 6's and rem nitro 4's was so bad in my gun that it is very important to do some pattern testing instead of running in the store and just grabbing a box and hitting the woods.

That's so true.

Thanks for your comments. 

And I have some more magblends I will try later on.  But 125 out of a 3" magblend load is pretty pathetic.  Heck a guy might as well just shoot lead with numbers that low.  I actually was shocked to see that pattern from a $70 Haymaker choke.  But I did get my money back for the choke. 

ohiostrutter

the 3 inch mag blends averaged 170s out of my 870 sps turkey with a jellyhead 665 those put the same numbers as what the 7 s did thats out of a dirty barrel gonna try some other chokes out this summer ive shot birds with both magblends and 7s both had plenty of knockdown power at 30-40 yards  want to try and get to the 200 mark next year with magblends and id be happy have a few boxes of 7s left if anyone has any magblends they want to get rid of thinking of trying a hevishot choke any other reccomendations