News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jakes!!!!

Started by Gooserbat, April 20, 2013, 10:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 20, 2013, 10:31:00 AM
I got on one single long beard all season.  Can't complain cause I killed him but these jakes are everywhere.  I know they had to have had a daddy but where in the world is he at.  Maybe I'll find him in Missouri this coming week.
Sounds like your in for some awesome hunting next season GB.

Ihuntoldschool

Sounds like your in for some awesome hunting next season GB.    Maybe ,maybe not.  I doubt many have survived the past 7 years.

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 17, 2020, 06:55:48 PM
Sounds like your in for some awesome hunting next season GB.    Maybe ,maybe not.  I doubt many have survived the past 7 years.
I myself don't think having alot of Jakes is a bad thing, some prospects for next season.

Gooserbat

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 17, 2020, 06:55:48 PM

I've tried really hard to make sure they didn't survive that long.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Loyalist84

I've probably seen 20 jakes this year - had a pair walk within 10 yards looking for the hen in my slate call, but safe to say that there are lots of them and if they've lasted this long they should be nice birds next year.

TauntoHawk

All I've run into are jakes, everyday has been jakes I think it's actually hurting the hunting for me. Tom's aren't talking on the ground much and how ruckus they were today I'd say they are doing some bullying. I saw 10 from the same tree this morning, 1 strutting with a hen then 6 came running to my call together and while they were chasing each other around 3 more slid in behind me quiet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gobble!

Glad some are seeing them.

J.D. Shellnut

I hunted in Texas the second weekend it was open. Called up 37 jakes in three days. Ive never seen or heard so many turkeys in my life. One group of jakes had 11 in it.
60% of the time it works every time!

Brian Fahs

The areas I hunted in maryland pennsylvania and ohio were over run with jakes. Saw more this year than I ever remember. I did tag out on longbeards and had some kids out and they killed longbeards but we had to work through the jakes.
This year was the least amount of gobbling on the ground I can remember. They were vocal on the limb most days but shut up at flydown. Lots of patterning and ambushing.

Happy

I have only called in 3 Jake's so far. Tom's made just starting to gobble on the roost now. Still haven't found one without hens but hopefully that changes soon. Everything I have found has nmbeen roosting right with the hens and hanging with them all day. This artic front we got screwed has this gas screwed up a bit

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tomfoolery

Quote from: J.D. Shellnut on May 18, 2020, 12:45:11 PM
I hunted in Texas the second weekend it was open. Called up 37 jakes in three days. Ive never seen or heard so many turkeys in my life. One group of jakes had 11 in it.

Thats great news. What part of Texas? Our numbers in Sutton county have been down the last few years. I didnt get a chance to go this year but I'm hoping there was a good hatch.

Sir-diealot

Whole lot more than I have been seeing. Congratulations.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Lenhow

I shot a Jake in Ky this year. It was my first turkey. I was thrilled to get it as it was my third year of trying to get a turkey. I guess I will be more selective from now on, as I have broken my streak of bad luck. The turkey pot pie was delicious.
I used a Stoeger M3020 20 gauge, with Sparc red dot, and Browning 7&9 TSS shot.
I shot him at 25 yards.

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Lenhow on May 21, 2020, 07:58:00 AM
I shot a Jake in Ky this year. It was my first turkey. I was thrilled to get it as it was my third year of trying to get a turkey. I guess I will be more selective from now on, as I have broken my streak of bad luck. The turkey pot pie was delicious.
I shot him at 25 yards.
Congratulations on your first bird!

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: Lenhow on May 21, 2020, 07:58:00 AM
I shot him at 25 yards.

Congrats, man!

No need to hedge or be apologetic about it. Whether you do or don't shoot jakes in the future, feel solidly good about your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk