turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jakes!!!!

Started by Gooserbat, April 20, 2013, 10:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

I got on one single long beard all season.  Can't complain cause I killed him but these jakes are everywhere.  I know they had to have had a daddy but where in the world is he at.  Maybe I'll find him in Missouri this coming week.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

DirtNap647

Gamblinman

I hunted the panhandle of Texas and western Ok this past week and the number of jakes is just insane. With the rain, cooler weather, and all the jakes, the longbeards have reverted back to bachelor groups. Most acted like they weren't interested in breeding and were not responding well to calling. I managed to scratch out 4 good birds in 6 days of hunting, but only by watching the birds and setting up on their travel routes..basically an ambush.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

NYbassman

I love seeing big bunches of jakes. Next years horny two year olds!

tomstopper

Good luck. Where I am hunting there are at least seven jakes that are still bunched together. If I don't see a long beard, I may have to reduce their numbers by 1.

brittman

I have seen a flock of 10 jakes and another 12+ (too many to keep counting).   The big flock of 12+ was crazy ...   we were walking back to our truck and a flock came running down a two track road towards us, they obviously went right around our truck.   

MDSTRUTNRUT

Jakes all over place here on eastern shore of MD plus every gobbler is courting a couple hens too.   Son got a longbeard  this week that had 2 hens and 5 or 6 jakes with him.   State said poor hatch last year so must have been all jakes.   

Paulmyr

Sounds like you fellas are going to have lots of of long beards to chase next year. I can almost hear all the gobbling.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

First year of not seeing Jake while hunting.. had some before season on trail camera ... 

Tom007

Ditto, jake sightings way off this year...

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Tom007 on May 17, 2020, 05:40:52 AM
Ditto, jake sightings way off this year...
Same here. Usually always see or call in some and never seen a one.This whole season was odd compared to usual

DP42912

Haven't seen one in the past two seasons...

Cowboy

My area seemed void of Jakes as well. Never seen a single one this year.

TonyTurk

Didn't not see a single jake last year, but saw lots of them this year.  Can't wait for next year! :turkey2:

Vintage

Saw three this season.