OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need a New Turkey Gun

Started by ttcustomcalls, March 20, 2013, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttcustomcalls

Hello all,
I've been on the forum for a while but havent spent much time posting in this section. But, I have a question and was hoping you guys could help me out. I've always just had a general purpose shotgun that I used for everything and would like to buy a gun to customize and designate for nothing but turkey hunting. The problem is I have no idea where to start. My budget isn't huge but I don't want to cheap out and end up replacing the gun in 5 years. So do you guys have any suggestions for the best shotgun models out there for turkey gunning? I'd prefer one that is chambered in 3.5" and obviously patterning is the top priority.

Thanks,
TJ

cjordan

Im sure someone will chime in here shortly that knows alot more than I do, but I see Mossberg 835 show up a lot on here. I have bought two used 835s in the last two weeks, and I am still alot cheaper than some of the guns folks are shooting on here. Heck Im still a lot cheaper than a couple of the shotguns in my safe. Anywho that my .02. Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for.

FL-Boss

Rem 870 - over 10+ million sold and counting.. for a reason.
Or.. if you have a little more cash - Rem 11-87 turkey sure shot. I have both of them.. awesome guns

Cant go wrong with Winchester either..  personally I would pass on Mossberg

Dmbecke

Hooksnhorns

I would get an 870 SM. There are ALOT of aftermarket components to customize a gun with. I've got one I've customized over the years. It ain't much to look at but I love it.
Don't Tread On Me

Thomas6689

Mossberg 835,935 or Rem 870, 1187 all good shooting guns

Onpoint

TWOWITHONE

Been shooting Winchesters 1300 for yrs and have no problems,It cant shoot 3 1/2 shells but the 3" shells do the job just the same. :firefighter:

WildSpur

If on a budget stick with a pump.  The 835 and 870 are proven performers with a good selection of aftermarket goodies if you ever customize. 

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

bushwhacker

I have four 870's and I love them, but I I was in the market for a gun just to turkey hunt I'd probably buy an 835 as my next one. They come drilled and tapped, have rifle sights on them, come camo from the factory, and have a turkey choke, all for less than $400 at wal mart.

davisd9

835. It was made to turkey hunt and it can produce patterns like not other.  Easy to strip and clean.  After market parts are easily found and inexpensive. 
I have a Remington 11-97 20 ga as a back up and there is nothing wrong with the 870 or Mossy 500, but if I could pick up one gun and take it to the woods it would be the 835 every time.  Good luck and let us know what you decide.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

captin_hook

870 super mag. It won't break your bank and should last a long time. I would pass on a mossberg. I'm just not a mossberg fan, rattle too much for me.

WildTigerTrout

Another vote for the Rem 870 SM.  ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Clif Owen

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but have been scared of an 870 ever since Remington started making the 870 Express. They were about $100 to $175 cheaper than a Wingmaster and for some reason nobody can or will explain where they cut corners to make it cheaper. I'm sure a cheaper grade of wood is one thing but not all of it. They also have a duller finish but thatsd one thing most hunters wil pay extra for instead of less.

I'm sure I will be blasted for this but it gives you a different viewpoint that noone thinks of.

captin_hook

There is no doubt about it Clif, the older 870s were made so much better than the new ones. That said, I still like a new 870 over any mossberg. I've had some bad luck with mossbergs and refuse to ever own another one.