turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need a New Turkey Gun

Started by ttcustomcalls, March 20, 2013, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tampa Cartel

My Brother has an 870 and couldn't believe it, when he watched me pull the barrel off my 835 in about 15 seconds when we were cleaning it the other day... His 870 is takes a lot longer to take down... The 835 turkey guns are over bored to 10 ga from the factory for better patterns.... Either way you go is a good choice.... This is kinda like a Ford Vs. Chevy thing.... Do some research on both..

duckaholic25

I definitely like the Remy 870 sure shot stock, but there are so many people having problems with new Remington guns. And I mean alot. I would get an older model 870 and put the sure shot stock on it, or go ahead and get the 835 you won't find one that shoots better.

Cutt

My 11-87 Super Mag has been good to me so far?

WildSpur

Quote from: Clif Owen on March 21, 2013, 07:53:40 AM
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but have been scared of an 870 ever since Remington started making the 870 Express. They were about $100 to $175 cheaper than a Wingmaster and for some reason nobody can or will explain where they cut corners to make it cheaper. I'm sure a cheaper grade of wood is one thing but not all of it. They also have a duller finish but thatsd one thing most hunters wil pay extra for instead of less.

I'm sure I will be blasted for this but it gives you a different viewpoint that noone thinks of.

Pretty sure what separates the 870 is the finishing.  A wingmaster will be flawlessly polished and have more metal where an express will not have burrs, etc polished away and have a composite trigger guard, etc.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

FL-Boss

Cutt -  I'm loving the 11-87 SM I got got...man that thing is nice.  had a bird down in the first hour I hunted with it last weekend on our season opener.   

CrustyRusty

For about $650 or less you can get a Mossy 930 or 935.
And its not something you will really ever need to upgrade over. 

Cutt

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 21, 2013, 09:48:47 AM
Cutt -  I'm loving the 11-87 SM I got got...man that thing is nice.  had a bird down in the first hour I hunted with it last weekend on our season opener.

Congrats, must be nice, our opener isn't till April 24th? 1 hour not bad?  Took me about 7 hrs. to get my first with the 11-87 last Season, 2 mornings of hunting on Public. Mine shoots great too, as it seems to like heaver loads 3.5 6's.

Cutt

Quote from: captin_hook on March 21, 2013, 09:04:05 AM
There is no doubt about it Clif, the older 870s were made so much better than the new ones. That said, I still like a new 870 over any mossberg. I've had some bad luck with mossbergs and refuse to ever own another one.

Had a Mossberg before my Remington, no problems with it, but in my opinion, just not the same quality as a Remington? Just as Remington is not the same quality as a Benelli? Just depends on what you are willing to spend?

Grouse870

Another vote for the 870 i've got three newer one(all bought in the last three years) no issues my newest one i haven't shot yet but don't expect any issues

FL-Boss

Like it was said above... it's like Ford or Chevy.  Or course Chevy is better... just like the Remington.  :TooFunny:  Seriously.. I'm sure Mossberg is making good guns now.. but my personal experience way back with a 500 pump was not good.  Long story ... but about 20 years ago I shot at the biggest buck I had ever seen with my Mossberg 500.  Right after I shot.. I went to rack in another shell to get off another shot (deer was running)  When I went to pump the gun it never would eject the old shell...so I could only get off 1 shot. Turned out that one shot was enough as I found the buck dead about 200 yards away. 

But that was enough for me... traded that gun the next week for a Rem and never looked back.  Was probably just a fluke.. or could have been the ammo... I know this can happen to any gun.  But either way it was enough for me to never want to own a Mossberg again.   Again.. this was a long time ago and I'm sure the new Mossberg pumps are as good as any..... I just prefer Remington.

davisd9

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 21, 2013, 11:15:04 AM
Like it was said above... it's like Ford or Chevy.  Or course Chevy is better... just like the Remington.  :TooFunny:  Seriously.. I'm sure Mossberg is making good guns now.. but my personal experience way back with a 500 pump was not good.  Long story ... but about 20 years ago I shot at the biggest buck I had ever seen with my Mossberg 500.  Right after I shot.. I went to rack in another shell to get off another shot (deer was running)  When I went to pump the gun it never would eject the old shell...so I could only get off 1 shot. Turned out that one shot was enough as I found the buck dead about 200 yards away. 

But that was enough for me... traded that gun the next week for a Rem and never looked back.  Was probably just a fluke.. or could have been the ammo... I know this can happen to any gun.  But either way it was enough for me to never want to own a Mossberg again.   Again.. this was a long time ago and I'm sure the new Mossberg pumps are as good as any..... I just prefer Remington.

Could have been shell just as easy as gun.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

FL-Boss

like I said.. could have been the ammo.... and could happen in any gun. But it happened at a real bad time... and has never happened with a Rem

treatcg

Big Gun

Try some of your friends guns and see what you like best, what feels best to you.  I have all the guns and currently only turkey hunt with one of my three Mossbergs (2 - 835s and 1 - 935) or my 870 youth 20 ga.  They are all good but it gets down to your personal tastes and what you like in  a turkey gun.  For me a overbored Mossberg with a Rhino or Hevi shot tube and Hevi shot 7's patterns like no other.

On the subject of shells not ejecting, in my experience most will do that if you shoot enough shell types or gun brands.  I have recently polished chambers on a BPS and 870 SuperMag for hanging and not ejecting 3.5 shells.  BPS did not like Nitro's and the 870 did not like Kent 3" or Remington 3.5"'s, both guns the shells had to be pried or knock out.  I have other guns that don't like Fiocchi.  Are they bad guns or shells no, with the right ammo or cleaning they work great.   

bushwhacker

The 870 express is built with a lot of stamped parts where the wingmaster is built with machined parts. The stocks are made with different wood and the finishes are different. I have three express models and one special purpose super mag that was made in the 90's and I have never had an issue with any of them. I love my 870's as far as how they fit me and I know when I pick one up it's going to function. But the 835 takes the cake on pattern, although I have never owned one I'm sure they are good guns.