OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need a New Turkey Gun

Started by ttcustomcalls, March 20, 2013, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickDraw

I've got a Mossberg 835, I don't use much any more. It was a killing machine for a while. I moved up to a Winchester SX3 to take some of the recoil away. I would like to sell the 835, but don't know how to market it. Ebay won't let you sell guns on there.

:z-guntootsmiley:

BrowningGuy88

I bought my 935 for $500 out the door. I also have an 870 and a Win. 1300. Had an 835.

I like them all. I bought the 935 cause of the way the 835 patterns and I wanted an automatic. Mine has been great so far.

30_06

I'm a man of extremes I think, if it were me I would get either a Ithaca Turkeyslayer with their recoil reducing stock or a 20ga H&R single shot with their "survival stock".

Gumby

ttcustomcalls

Wow, what a response. Thanks guys, this is great. So as far as I see it looks like the vast majority are either fans of the 835 or the 870. Both are guns I have looked at. I've also heard that both pattern extremely well. Not sure if it makes a difference since I know aftermarket parts are pretty well available for either but the first thing I will do when I get it will probably be to swap the stock out for a pistol grip or thumb-hole stock. I will probably forgo installing any optics so decent sights are a big factor. Does that help settle the tie or is it still going to be a Ford-Chevy type battle?

P.S. I have hunted with both brands and don't have much preference one way or another. If anything I guess I have noticed that the mossbergs aren't as tight.

Thanks,
TJ

30_06

If you are going to put a pistol grip or thumb hole stock on I would lean towards the 870 just because of the location of the safety.

bushwhacker

If you want that type of stock I would look at the 870 SPS super magnum. 3.5 inch chamber, shurshot stock, good fiber optic sights, and factory camo.

ttcustomcalls

Another question I guess I'd have for you guys is whether barrel length makes a noticeable difference in pattern or impact energy on those longer shots since a longer barrel means more velocity, I'm just not sure how much?

Thanks,
TJ

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ttcustomcalls on March 22, 2013, 01:47:22 AM
Another question I guess I'd have for you guys is whether barrel length makes a noticeable difference in pattern or impact energy on those longer shots since a longer barrel means more velocity, I'm just not sure how much?

Thanks,
TJ

Great thread. It's always good when folks state what they like and why in such a friendly way.

I shoot guns with many different barrel lengths and prefer those with at least 26" barrels. Others like shorter barrels for convenience or ease of carry in the woods or in a blind.

It is normally easier to get good patterns in guns with longer barrels but shorter ones will still allow you to cleanly kill a turkey at reasonable ranges.

Shotshell manufacturers use 30" barrels and measure muzzle velocity 3' from the muzzle but few of us use 30" barrels for turkey guns today. Once they were common.

There are trends in barrel lengths just like trends in most other things and there are advantages and disadvantage to both long and short barrels. It really comes down to what works for you and what you are most comfortable with in the turkey woods.

Again, good questions and good thread. Whatever you choose, good luck this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

davisd9

Quote from: ttcustomcalls on March 22, 2013, 01:47:22 AM

Thanks,
TJ

A longer barrel is usually easier to get to pattern.  The shorter barrels can be made to pattern well but usually take a bit more work.  I like a 24"-26" barrel personally.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

captin_hook

Regardless of which gun you go with, both the 870 and the 835 are proven turkey killers. Shut us all up and get a browning 10 gauge. Hahahaha. :TooFunny:

Big Gun

Barrel length does make a great difference not only in pattern but carry and pointing ability.  Also, you may want to consider how you hunt and where.  That is how you end up with many turkey guns as you find one size does not fit all.  I have guns from 21" ( SP10 and 870) to 22", 24", 26" and 28" that I use for turkeys.  If you like to walk, stalk, run and gun the shorter barrel lengths make more sense. I do hunt fields out of blinds and shooting houses on occasion therefore I use a scopped 26" 835 or a BPS 28" 10 ga. to reach out there and show a better pattern.  If you shot Nitro loads these distances can reach out there.

bbcoach

TT,
Welcome to OG.  You're going to get a lot of I like this or that but you have to make the final decision.  The 870, 835 and all mentioned are great TKM's.  When you figure out what you want, check with the Sporting Goods section of Wally World and their special order catalog.  You should be able to get the 835 or 870 SM for around $350-400, decide what type of shell you want to use and pair that up with a quality choke like SSX, Sumtoy, Pure Gold, Indian Creek etc and you'll be in business.  The guys here on OG have vast knowledge in what works, so continue to ask questions.  Good Luck with your decision.

jim570

I bought the 835 Ulti Mag two years ago.  Wanted a gun with some reach and this 835 has it.  Don't recall exact numbers, but think I got around 340 in the 10" at 40 yards with 3 1/2" Hevi 13 #7".  I am using a .670 Pure Gold choke.
Slide was a bit noisy compared to my 870's.  I put some mole skin on the inside of the slide, next to the barrel and that took care of that issue.
I put a Burris FF II on it and this 835 has an awesome factory trigger.  That helps a lot with close shots as there is very little pattern spread inside 25 yards.
My son has a 935 with an IC Diamond Strike .675 that also shoots great patterns and is a bit softer on the shoulder.