OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longest hooks??

Started by birdyhunter, February 16, 2013, 10:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdyhunter

Hooks are what get me fired up. I could care less about beards or how much a bird gobbles its those long Sharp hooks that get me going. My personal best is 1 5/8 monster I killed 2 years ago here in Florida. I hunted him all year and killed him on the last day. I knew where he was roosted over an old cypress pond and did some soft tree calling. He never gobbled once and slipped in to 10 yards before I knew he was there.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Spring_Woods

Inch and 5/16 on my second Ohio bird last year.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

birdyhunter

That's a stud there! I should have taken better pics of mine that's for sure

appalachianstruttstopper

I've killed a few 1.5"+ over the years. Usually get 1 really good bird out of 5yrs on average. I like them all, but those are the ones that really stand out.

birdyhunter

A friend of mine that owns a little outdoors shop here in my hometown has killed 2 with 2" hooks that are absolutely unbelievable. I wish I had pics to post and maybe I will get a few next time I'm in there. Never seen any other birds with spurs that size

captin_hook

Nice hooks fellas. This thread should get some nice pics posted up. My best was last year. He only had on spur. 1 1/4 inch.

guesswho

1 3/4 twice for me.  Once was on a Osceola who had no curve at all, just straight daggers.  Then on a Alabama Eastern one time.  Don't have a good picture of the Osceola.  I'm going to have to did them out and take a decent picture of them.
Here's the Alabama bird

And another Bama bird which is my most hooked, can't remeber how long they were.   

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

deerhunt1988

My best is slightly over 1 1/4"
Called in one for my bro last year that was just a hair under 1 1/2". And it was only his third gobbler, and first morning to hunt Osceolas.

Here is a pic from opening day in Florida last year on public land. My bird is on left (around 1 1/4") and my bros is on the right. Killed mine about 30 minutes after fly down, but it was supposed to be my bro's bird as I already had killed an Osceola before. Well fast forward to 10:30 and his bird comes in on a string after I struck it up. Thought for sure it would be a 2yo. Yeah, I was jealous! They were also the sharpest spurs I have ever saw.

Onpoint

My best is 1 5/8". I killed him in 2011 here in Kentucky. We called him the gasline bird. We tried to kill him a couple years and I finally got him early one rainy morning.

2011 was a good year for me, about a week before I killed him I killed a big one at LBL down on Tennessee side. He had 1.5" spurs. He's the one on the top with the straight black spurs, and that's the gasline bird on the bottom.

fl panhandler

Here's one a friend killed in '06. Gobbled once on the roost and has never gobbled again. 2" and
1 15/16".
Rick

jblackburn

I've killed a couple with 1 1/4 spurs.  The best I have called in was by buddies first bird last year.  1 1/2 and 1 9/16!  Pretty good for a western OK Rio!

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Shotgun

My largest is 1 5/8" and have several that are 1.5".

birdyhunter

Some monsters right there fellas! This is getting me fired up!

BigHooks

Biggest bird, longest beard, longest spurs. little over 29lbs, 11 3/4 beard, 1 3/4 spurs..

mikejd

Quote from: BigHooks on February 17, 2013, 11:38:24 AM
Biggest bird, longest beard, longest spurs. little over 29lbs, 11 3/4 beard, 1 3/4 spurs..

:drool: :drool: That is incredible. Thats the whole package. Even the feet are incredible.
Keep the pics coming guys.
Does anyone actually know if there is any correlation between climates and spur growth.
I have shot some old birds up here in NY and have had nice spurs but not as impressive as any these.
This thread is going to get the pre season blood pumping.