turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longest hooks??

Started by birdyhunter, February 16, 2013, 10:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Improvinghunter101

My longest were 1 9/16".  Studied that bird for a few days.  I got a little bit closer each day.  Never called too much at him.  Then on his last day, I set up and he started the other way.  Did a huge semi circle and got in front of him.  Came right in but boy was he looking around.  Good 4 year old bird.  Bout 25lbs and had 11 7/8" beard.   That was the first one I ever killed on my own using a diaphragm.  Pretty proud of that one

TRKYHTR

1 3/4" last year in MO.

1 5/8" in 2011 in CA.

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

AUDoubleBeard

I have nothing on some of you, but my biggest to date are 1-5/16".

RutnNStrutn

My 2 best birds both sported twin 1-1/2" spurs.
The first was a Florida Registry Osceola. 21 lb's, 11" beard, 1-1/2" spurs.

The other was my best bird to date, scoring 72. A Michigan Eastern I got while hunting as a guest of Firedoc. 24 lb's, 9" beard, 1-1/2" spurs.

Here's a few other good ones.

birdyhunter

Man this is gettin me pumped!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

BrowningGuy88

I have posted the story before, but my two best came on back to back mornings my senior year in high school. I was 17 and just received a full scholarship to engineering school, so my grandfather consented for me to go in late to school after consulting with my first period teacher (math) and she okayed me making up the work. I was literally able to hunt every day of the long Alabama season.

I killed 3 gobblers the first week and then hit a dry spell and couldn't get a bird to commit. I was told about two old gobblers that an uncle had been trying to kill for two years and he had to go back to work for a 3 day shift over the weekend. I called him and got the okay to chase them.

I set-up on Saturday morning an hour before first light and waited. When things lightened up enough that I could see my sights, I did a series of yelps and clucks and they double gobbled. I did a flydown cackle about 20 minutes after daybreak and waited. Finally around 9:30 (I had not heard another gobble or a turkey flydown) I saw a fan close a gap in the cypress grove. I got on the gun and took the safety off. He stuck his head around a big pine at 35 yards and I let him have it. The other bird wasn't with him.

I went back to the same set-up Sunday morning and listened for the lonely old gobbler to gobble. He hadn't gobbled by 7:30 so I did a series of yelps and then started cutting hard. He double gobbled and I saw a bent over tree shake about 100 yards out. Finally about 9:00 I saw him hopping down that bent over tree so I gave a series of clucks and purrs and he hit the ground in full strut. He came in on a string and I put him over my shoulder at 9:30.

I got to church at 10:45 and the older men were out on the porch talking about the week. My granddad asked me if I had any luck and I said yes. After church the three oldest turkey hunters I know (legends around these parts) came out and wanted to look at the spurs. When I showed them the Saturday bird's they said how nice of spurs he had, but when I laid the Sunday morning spurs down they literally shook their heads and muttered about dumb luck. Those 3 men and my grandfather are between 68 and 90 years old and all three said that the Sunday morning bird had the best spurs they had ever seen in these parts.

The Saturday morning bird had 1.5" spurs and a 10" beard and he weighed 22 pounds. The Sunday morning bird had 1 11/16" spurs and a 10.5" beard and weighed 21 pounds.

For comparison, out of 31 gobblers I have killed, the average spurs are 1" with a 9" beard and about 16 pounds. Had I realized then how special those birds would be to me I would have had them mounted together in a way you can see the spurs. They hang on a lanyard with the rest of them on my gun cabinet.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

slamman

LEFT SIDE 1 15/16", 1 1/16" & 1/16"

RIGHT SIDE 2" & 14/16"

RutnNStrutn

WOW!!!!! :o
What an awesome bird!!! :icon_thumright: :you_rock: :z-winnersmiley:

TRKYHTR

Quote from: slamman on February 19, 2013, 05:41:36 PM
LEFT SIDE 1 15/16", 1 1/16" & 1/16"

RIGHT SIDE 2" & 14/16"

One of these days I want to kill one of those Oscellated turkeys. That was a good one. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

birdyhunter

slamman that's awesome! Got any full shots of the bird?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

dawgfrombama

Here are some of mine

Kansas Rio 1 3/8

1 3/8 Texas Bird

MAKEemQUIVER

Thanks for the pics guys, awesome birds!!
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

AUDoubleBeard

Jet

1 5/8 eastern nc 25lbs 9.5 beard