Started by K9Doc, February 16, 2013, 02:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Quote from: K9Doc on February 16, 2013, 02:49:22 PM
Told him we turkey hunters wanted 3 changes:
1.  Boxes of 5
2.  Higher payloads
3. #7 shot

Please go find him again and stress that we also would love to see #7s in an effective 20 gauge load as well!
:theman:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

i am not familiar enough with this load...is this load led or tungsten alloy?

BowBendr

Quote from: Eric Gregg on February 16, 2013, 10:21:39 PM

It is tungsten based EG.

If they're going to still make it and sell it, how many boxes of #6 did they have on hand to sell at the convention ? I'm not there, but I can guarantee you that HeviShot was selling outta their booth..

Rockhound

Quote from: BowBendr on February 16, 2013, 10:39:19 PM

It is tungsten based EG.

If they're going to still make it and sell it, how many boxes of #6 did they have on hand to sell at the convention ? I'm not there, but I can guarantee you that HeviShot was selling outta their booth..

Ammunition is not allowed to be sold at the convention,  the Winchester had empty boxes of 20, 12, and 10 in lead turkey loads double x and super x for advertising,  they had some steel waterfowl loads for advertising and were heavily advertising the new 17 super mag but they absolutely did NOT have even one box of xtended range out for advertising. This was a tried and true dedicated Turkey load if they were still in production they would have them there to advertise.

Hevi-shot was not present at the convention that i am aware of

Eric Gregg

Are these in the same price range as Hevi-shot and Fed Heavyweight?

BowBendr

Quote from: Rockhound on February 16, 2013, 10:49:39 PM
Quote from: BowBendr on February 16, 2013, 10:39:19 PM

It is tungsten based EG.

Ammunition is not allowed to be sold at the convention,  the Winchester had empty boxes of 20, 12, and 10 in lead turkey loads double x and super x for advertising,  they had some steel waterfowl loads for advertising and were heavily advertising the new 17 super mag but they absolutely did NOT have even one box of xtended range out for advertising. This was a tried and true dedicated Turkey load if they were still in production they would have them there to advertise.

Hevi-shot was not present at the convention that i am aware of

Then thats my bad RH, and I stand corrected.... I do seem to remember Hevi selling the mag blends at the convention a few years ago when that shell was the new "craze"....maybe i'm thinking of the Dixie Deer Classic.....i'm gettin' old.  ;D

Tom Dooley

Hevi Shot was absolutely sold at the convention Friday. I think it was Macks Prarie Wings booth and there was a Hevi Shot rep there. I was there at about 5:00 and they were about out. They also were letting people fill out the rebate forms there and sending it in form them. You could also get $10 off per box, as many boxes you wanted to buy, and if they didn't have the size you wanted they gave you a coupon with NWTF stamped on it to order it when you got home and I think this was with shipping paid.

runngun

We have a small local Sporting Goods store and the owner is a HUGE turkey hunter. Several years ago I suggested that he sell single shells for those folks who are patterning there guns and guess what he did it too at a very reasonable price. It was a big hit and he still sold a pile of shells.

By the way, I know a store where there are 4 boxes of Extended Range 6s and 4 boxes of 5s for 39.00 a box. PM if interested and I will give you the number. They are also a shipping and pick up point for UPS so I am sure they will ship them to you.

Good Luck and God Bless
RAY
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Neill_Prater

Quote from: K9Doc on February 16, 2013, 09:47:56 PM
Hmmmm. Why boxes of 5?  Seriously?  It wasn't until recently that I didn't have to worry about Ammo prices. New choke or two. $65-150
Now Ammo:  Hevi-shot $50 for 10.
HvyWt  $50+for 10   Now I want to try 6's and 7's
You still got the math?
We are up to $350. Did it pattern well? 
That's why 5 shells are appealing to the Avg. turkey hunter.
Many of you guys are not average.

I agree, and I'd rather spend that $350 chasing turkeys somewhere than putting lots of teeny tiny holes in paper. I went through my ammo box the other day, and have bunches of shells, usually four or five of a kind, from probably the last two decades. Most are lead loads, and at the time I bought them, didn't cost much, so I don't have a lot of money tied up, but it just shows how easy it is to get a bunch of shells that don't pattern well, and tend to end up in storage somewhere. At $5 plus per shell, I don't really want to end up with 100 shells that I'll never shoot from testing multiple HTL loads.

Fatbeard

I asked the same thing and was told the same. He wanted to know where I heard it and I told him forums and such! He assured me that they were not doing away with them!! I hope not because they are killers and I do not want to go to hevishot! I just want 2 boxes a 2 3/4 for my son and a 3 1/2 box for me both in # 5. I have found the 3 1/2 in #4
East TN Beard Buster

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteWhy do we want boxes of 5 shells. I would rather hevi make boxes of 10.

Hevi does make boxes of 10.  They did it with both the old white, and the newer bronze shells in #4, #5, and #6.  I've bought the #6's in both 5 & 10 shell boxes myself.  I've never seen a box of 10 in the #7's or the Magnum Blend.  Those were always in boxes of 5 when I saw and bought them.

I want a discount when I buy a bigger box.  HTL's expense justify's boxes of 5.  I don't expect to ever see Lead shells in boxes of 5.

chatterbox

Quote from: Eric Gregg on February 16, 2013, 10:51:37 PM
Are these in the same price range as Hevi-shot and Fed Heavyweight?
Eric,

Of the big three HTL loads, the Win XRHD is in my opinion, the most reasonably priced at an avg. of 40.00 a box of 10.
Hevi-13 3.5-2.25-6's run about 31.00-35.00 a box of 5, and the best price I saw for the Fed Heviweight 3.5-1 7/8-7's was 24.00 a box of 5 through Dunns.
The Fed is a tricky shell due to it's FCW, but I have heard if you can get it to pattern, it's probably the best load of the 3. The Hevi-13 and Winchesters are easier to get better patterns quickly through less choke testing.
My gun really doesn't care for the Hevi-13, but I get great patterns from the XRHD Winchesters. I have enough of those to get me over 25 years of turkey hunting.
Still very sad that they are gonna be discontinued. I don't really believe the company rep on this one. He's just blowing smoke. If they were gonna be offered, they would be out there now. Turkey season is around a month or less away in our southern states, and they wouldn't be this behind on the 8 ball in production.
I still have a store where I can get 2 boxes locally, so I am still good.  :funnyturkey:

Rockhound

Quote from: Tom Dooley on February 16, 2013, 11:28:13 PM
Hevi Shot was absolutely sold at the convention Friday. I think it was Macks Prarie Wings booth and there was a Hevi Shot rep there. I was there at about 5:00 and they were about out. They also were letting people fill out the rebate forms there and sending it in form them. You could also get $10 off per box, as many boxes you wanted to buy, and if they didn't have the size you wanted they gave you a coupon with NWTF stamped on it to order it when you got home and I think this was with shipping paid.

They must have put a hault to it quick because they sure would not sell any yesterday at all, but my point really is if Winchester was still producing xtended why didn't they have them there for advertising?

chatterbox

Quote from: Rockhound on February 17, 2013, 07:17:26 AM
Quote from: Tom Dooley on February 16, 2013, 11:28:13 PM

They must have put a hault to it quick because they sure would not sell any yesterday at all, but my point really is if Winchester was still producing xtended why didn't they have them there for advertising?
Bingo!  :z-winnersmiley:

Shakey Jake

Winchester really made it believable with the discontinue! I'll stick with Mag Blends for now ;)